main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Men's rights activists claim boycott triumph over TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ahsoka's Tano, Jan 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    You've gotta admit, this is pretty funny. No spoilers involved, because by now everyone knows (even those that have yet to see the film) that The Force Awakens stars Daisy Ridley and John Boyega; a woman and a British black actor. For once a Star Wars film isn't centered around a Skywalker, and some self-righteous people are taking issue on it. Go figure.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...cott-cost-the-force-awakens-42m-a6796146.html

Chewies_bandolier likes this.
  2. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
  3. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    How do we know it wasn't centered around a Skywalker??

4. Starmute

Starmute Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2015
    You know you're insane when you start boycotting Star Wars. Both social justice warriors and redpillers are doing it now. All they're doing is showcasing the horseshoe effect.

5. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    That's not a "social justice warrior" (which I fail to see as a negative term - it's admirable, if anything). It's just a young idiot with an obscure blog that hasn't yet distinguished real social problems from ephemeral ones.

6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Ironically the trilogy will be not about Rey but rather Kylo Ren, the last Skywalker. He is going to be the tragic hero of this. Episode IX will end the Skywalker saga and after several years off, Episode X will be a reboot of the whole franchise as they will follow the Marvel pattern going forward.

7. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    How will Lucasfilm ever recover... I hope they don't go out of business because of this

8. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Nope.

9. beebee-ate

beebee-ate Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    You went full retard, man. Never go full retard.

10. Starmute

Starmute Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2015
    That's just one example, I've seen dozens of people from the far-left deciding to boycott Star Wars. Fact is, both the far-left and far-right are doing it, and it's a damned good demonstration of the horseshoe effect.

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yup.

12. JediBlack

JediBlack Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 31, 2015
    lol @ the Independent writing an article about a troll post online. Talk about scarping the bottom of the barrel.

13. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I've probably read the term "Mary Sue" more times in the last two weeks than I have combined over the course of my entire life.

14. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    "Dozens" is hardly worth commenting on.:)

There are far more people of the MRA/ chauvinist stripe that are raising their voices.

15. Rey_

Rey_ Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    What a load of mysogynistic, entitled rubbish. It must be so difficult to be a caucasian male in a white, patriarchal society. The casting decisions in this film do not amount to gender discrimination, and the boycott is pathetic. The film has as much screen time with Han, Kylo, Hux and Poe as Rey and Finn each do.

16. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    Are you sure this isn't an Onion type of article?? :confused:

17. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Has there been anything like an attempt to organize a boycott from the left? I don't think so. I seen only a scattering of individuals. Most of my friends are pretty left and those that have seen it have really liked or loved it.

Green Gogol likes this.
  18. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

People in the Finn thread were literally accusing lucasfilm of racism in how Finn was depicted. I'm a pretty liberal guy, but COME ON.

19. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

It's legit. If you want to ruin your faith in humankind, visit the Return of Kings website.

20. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Embarassing behavior

21. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015
    You know what - those people may be idiots... but it really is kind of amazing that this film may end up the most successful film in general, and scifi/fantasy film in particular without any of the main protagonists being a white guy.

It's actually kind of shocking to me that is going to happen.

As a father of two little girls I am SO FREAKING HAPPY that Rey has been such a hit as a character despite the fact that she wasn't sexualized once during the film. No skimpy clothes, nothing.

22. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    Just to throw this in, I had to google 'Mary Sue' the day after the film was released. I had no idea what that meant.

The future of this thread, I see. Clouded, it is not. Lock this thread, the mods will.

23. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    EHT, since you're here; considering that various threads occasionally get sidetracked/derailed into the political stuff, or political intent of filmmakers, is there a possibility that a thread could be devoted to political readings of the film, and analysis of behind the scenes political intent? (and by political, I'd include such things as age politics regarding some poster's fears about Luke being edged out for younger leads etc, not just race/gender politics)
    The intention being to have a place for reasonable, constructive discussion so that character threads can stay about in-universe analysis of character motivations/plot, and political discourse can be carried out respectfully elsewhere.

Maybe it's a terrible idea, I dunno. Just a thought.

No probs if not, just wondering if it might

24. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Darth_Lobot

I heard tons of complaints about how Finn was portrayed from the "far left" and other aspects of the film.

People are insane. It's a movie. If you don't like Star Wars, then don't go see it. I have tons of family and friends who haven't seen it nor ever will. It's not their thing. But they are not "boycotting" it either.

25. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

Had to do the exact same thing because I also had no idea WTF people were talking about

SaintKenobi1322 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.