main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Men's rights activists claim boycott triumph over TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ahsoka's Tano, Jan 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015

Of course it isn't unreasonable, she helped fix the dang thing and piloted other ships around the plant just not into space as of her words per the dialogue in the script. She out right says that she helped Unkar fix the Falcon and was piloting the ships around for him, so it's no surprise that she could pilot the Falcon. There's nothing too different with it vs any other freighter that exists save for the modifications on it.

You can also point to Poe who learned to fly when he was six, with his mom. He's been flying ships since he was six years old and piloting by himself since he was eight when his mom died.

2. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015

I don't think Luke had demons at the start of ANH, he wanted to fly outside much like Rey does, but I don't think he was nursing monsters.

3. JeeediMoriah

JeeediMoriah Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2014
    I don't mean it so literally. I was just rambling off things that hero type characters usually overcome over the course of their journey.

You could argue that Luke had to come to terms with the dark truth of Darth Vader's identity. He also had to overcome his fear and impatience. You're right, those arn't "demons" like Anakin had but they serve the same narrative purpose.

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  4. TheGoverness

TheGoverness Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 5, 2016
    Daisy's acting was amazing. I very much hope that Rey's character she will be developed more over the course of the NT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  5. JeeediMoriah

JeeediMoriah Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2014
    I hope so too. She reminded me of Ewan's Obi Wan at times. I liked the way she delivered her lines. There was some quick wit there. But I want more.

6. MansBFFTheWookie

MansBFFTheWookie Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 25, 2015
  7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    We don't know that she is ONLY good with a staff. People did train with wooden swords before using real ones. It's plausible that if she was that good with a staff she could use other weapons that would relate more to a light saber. People that train in weapons often train in more than one.

8. TheGoverness

TheGoverness Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 5, 2016
    Yep. Similar to Darth Maul or Asajj Ventress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    On a positive note: they can all use the additional time that they have from not watching the movie, playing TFA Monopoly.

:\

Satipo and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  11. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Cause all 4channers are awful people huh ?
    Going with that logic all women must love barbies and cooking food too right ? :)

12. Pluvial

Pluvial Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    Well, she never 'trained' with a staff most likely. She probably developed skill with a staff in a very informal manner because of its usefulness for self defense. While I suppose it's possible, it is at this point, rather unsubstantiated that she'd be experienced with anything remotely similar to lightsaber combat. She's basically just a lightsaber prodigy at this point.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Stereotyping an entire gender involves a concept that begins with sex- and ends with -ism, and 4chan has earned its reputation on the Internet as trolls, by harassing Emma Watson and starting the #BoycottTheForceAwakens troll campaign on Twitter, among other things.

My suggestion, for those of you who want the Mary Sue/overpowered Rey/feminists make dumb arguments about Rey/whatever argument taken seriously:

Don't cite 4chan, GamerGate, news article comments or YouTube comments as your source. There is a reason such "sources" are dismissed with "LOL," and there is a reason they are widely reputed as the dregs of the Internet.

Trying to defend them by suggesting that it's OK to stereotype an entire gender because you personally don't believe the cite has earned its reputation as Internet trolls is beyond a nonargument.

Try a source that can be taken seriously to defend your position.

Lee_ : That is awesome. I got the last Phasma standup figure that I could find and still have not found a smaller figure, but I don't mind continuing to look when I know that is the reason. Bodes really well for future toy lines.

14. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    You can almost add Facebook to that list. Not that every Facebook user has this habit, but some of the posters on the Star Wars Facebook page sound very narcisstic and attention-seeking.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

15. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    You don't get that good without any training, sorry.

It's unsubstantiated, as is anything we haven't had actually spelled out to us, but certainly plausible. Again, it is similar to sword combat.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005

Wesley Crusher is a 17 year old super genius who is on Starfleet's flagship; a ship crewed by the best that Starfleet has to offer. Starfleet is a pseudo military organization with rank and protocol. In a show that is trying to present itself as believable science fiction do you seriously believe they would ignore protocol and provide a child the opportunities Wesley has? He is an author insert who was completely out of place within the narrative of the Star Trek universe. To squeeze him into the plot the writers routinely had to show how awesome and cool Wesley was because there is no way that he should be on that ship. Realistically he should have been studying or training at Starfleet so that when he was ready and of age he could assume a role as an officer. That is the very definition of a Gary Stu and Crusher's character took serious flak for that.

Conversely, Rey fits into her world. As far as I'm concerned Rey doesn't isn't a Mary Sue/Gary Stu (a writer's insert for wish fulfilment). Star Wars is a Sci-Fantasy film with space wizards and laser swords and a smuggler who can fly a spaceship better than any Jedi. Her character fits within the narrative and doesn't feel like a fan insert. The only issue I had with her is that she powers-up too quickly; almost like she's in a video game and she needs a boost to fight the final boss. I didn't' like how she was instantly able to use the Jedi mind trick. It felt forced and it cheapened the idea that Jedi powers were natural but their mastery was difficult. Mind you I felt the same way (actually 100 times worse) about Anakin in TPM who literally flies a Naboo fighter by accident.

17. Pluvial

Pluvial Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    I suppose you could make an argument that fighting against a sword may be similar to fighting against a lightsaber, maybe. But, fighting with a lightsaber would be quite different to fighting with a sword. It would seem rather unusual for Rey to have any formal melee combat training, if she is simply a scavenger on Jakku. But, it's possible as some have asserted that her memories aren't genuine.

Training with a weapon that isn't a lightsaber is not going to help you much when you have to switch to a weapon that is a lightsaber with no preparation.

I don't know what type of training you are suggesting, but I agree that her skill with a lightsaber is unlikely without training. It is most definitely rather odd that a scavenger on Jakku would practice sword fighting.

18. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Ah yes, Gamergate. You can disagree with Sarkeesian without rejecting all of feminisn, cause guess what... She is not an intellectual leader of the movement. She is not a scholar, she is a media personality. Ok, so you think hyper-sexualized images of female characters is not sexist. Interesting. And the point of wearing what they want. Ok, thee you prove you do not understand what the movement is about. That position is about AGENCY. That is, the right to act based on personal decision and maintaining control od sexual agency, regardless of how one looks. That applies to men too, ya know.

But you still haven't told me what you think third wave feminism IS, and what specificallly you find objectionable. Is it just the control of sexual agency thing? That women wearing short skirts should lose control of their sexual identity?

It's interesting that you seem to think second wave feminism is more acceptable, since it is typically more radical than third wavers. It includes a bunch of fringe movements such as essentialality, feminist hegemonic beliefs, radical black feminism of the 60's, and frankly most of the stuff that is usually pulled out against feminism. Third wavers are usually criticized for focusing too much on practical matters like the glass celing and equal pay.

But I think I'm pretty done with you. You clearly have a very strong opinion based on basically nothing. By your standard, the fact that some Star Wars fans like TPM the best whould make it impossible for me to call myself a Star Wars fan.

19. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    I think it' fair to say it is unsubstantiated, but she was on Jakku 14 years. She was left with Plutt, who seems to have a small army of scavengers working for him. It seems likely she was left in the care of someone else who works for Plutt and learned her trade from there. Jakku is a rough and tumble world, and no doubt somewhere along the line, she had to be taught how to defend herself. It's completely plausible within the scenario, and the fact that she is really good at it just come from her unconscious use of the Force. So I agree, she was trained, informally, but we don't need to see that on-screen.

20. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I meant she had some training in order to be that good with a staff. It isn't at all unlikely that she practiced a variety of weapons on Jakku, and a sword isn't any more unlikely than a staff.

Strongbow likes this.
  21. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014
    Or simple stick fighting. Stick fighting is pretty common in a lot of poor cultures.

Lee_ and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That was definitely my impression of how she was trained. Stick fighting, maybe some rudimentary sword fighting.

Darkspellmaster and Strongbow like this.
  23. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

There shouldn't be any reason to defend Rey. Do you see a quarter of the amount of people complaining about Rey's character in TFA as there were complaining about Anakin's in ANY of the PT movies?

24. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Well, there were plenty of complaints about Anakin Skywalker in the prequels, but none of them had anything to do with his omnicompetent skill levels. More like his personality and the performance that embodied him.

If anything people wanted Anakin to be even MORE "badass."

25. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Ah, MRA dickheads... Never change you tools. Meanwhile the majority will get on with enjoying a new SW film and follow the adventures of a compelling new lead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.