main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Men's rights activists claim boycott triumph over TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ahsoka's Tano, Jan 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

I did have a slight issue with him Episode I.... but because he was 9! I would have preferred an Episode I Anakin in his teens. He was MUCH more Gary Stu than Rey was a Mary Sue in Episode I.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  2. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

I would disagree there. Anakin's only real skilled contribution to the plot was the podrace. With the final battle he wanted to help, sure, but he was by no means brilliantly flying and dodging or shooting down ships. He had R2 helping and even then crash landed. He's good at building things and piloting (both of which are skills Rey possesses) but he isn't also a crack shot and a great fighter on top of that. Plus, whereas everyone in TFA takes an immediate liking to Rey, this is not at all true in Anakin's case, as seen with Obi-Wan and the Jedi.

A character I would actually compare Rey to is Christopher Nolan's Bruce Wayne in that they have a plethora of skills but few real flaws.

What annoys me a bit is that I've never seen anyone call Batman a Gary Stu, although he certainly fits that mold to a greater extent than Rey.

Strongbow likes this.
  3. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014

Batman is a Gary Stu too. ;) It isn't just the podrace to me. It's also his apparent mechanical genius, and, of course, I do include all the fortuitous incidents with the starfighter. Yeah, R2 was helping him. I just found that entire sequence silly. And maybe I'm missing something, but the Jedi did not DISLIKE Obi-wan, they just didn't think he was suitable for training.

Although, I should clarify that I think the whole Mary/Gary Sue/Stu is a little silly. In both the case of Anakin and Rey, we are talking about truly remarkable people in terms of their connection to the Force. They are bound to be a little super-human.

4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    What does Anakin accomplish in Episode I:

-Saves Qui Gon and co's backsides by winning the pod race (which it is specifically pointed that he shouldn't be able to do physically).
    -Shows extreme natural aptitude as a pilot, mechanic, and Force User.
    -Blows up the Droid command ship like five minutes after jumping into a Naboo fighter for the first time, thus saving the day for the Gungans who were on the verge of defeat.
    -Is so insanely talented that Yoda and the council agree to let Obi Wan train him despite Anakin being older than usual to start training, Obi Wan being rather young to be a Master, and the Council's own doubts about Anakin's cloudy future.

Negative consequences to his actions in the film, none.

What does Luke accomplish in ANH:

-Grasps basic Force abilities quite quickly.
    -Is also extremely able as a pilot and mechanic.
    -Plays a key role in saving Leia, a high-ranking and important member of the Rebellion, and delivering the DS plans to them.
    -Jumps into a X-Wing for the first time, and is able to keep up with Vader, the "best Starfighter pilot in the Galaxy" and blows up the DS using TF, thus saving the entire Rebel base on Yavin IV and everyone in it.

Negative consequences for any of his actions in the film, none.

What does Rey do in TFA:

-Grasp basic Force principles quickly (but not instantaneously), agreed.
    -Is a skilled mechanic/pilot, agreed.
    -Manages to escape after getting herself captured in the first place.
    -Pulls one piece of machinery out of SKB, which opens a door for Han and Chewie. That's her whole role in destroying SKB.
    -Beats one partially-trained guy who had multiple things working against him, and barely beats him.

Negative consequences for any of her actions in the film, very little. Maybe destroying part of Nima Outpost while trying to fly the MF for the first time, and getting herself captured by Kylo.

That's the thing, the first movies always set up the protagonist, how "special" they are, and give them a big victory at the end. This is nothing new. Then, the SECOND movie really brings their flaws to the surface, puts them through the ringer, and ends with some kind of personal defeat. And I suspect that Episode VIII will do this as well.

5. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014

Obi Wan and the council fear Anakin because of his clouded future, and that Qui Gon might be getting too personal invested. They don't really dislike Anakin himself. Obi Wan always acts quite cordial to him when they interact face to face. And Rey is a good person, and people tend to like you when you're that way. That "complaint" may be the most ridiculous one that I've heard so far. And Rey is no crack shot either, and her hand to hand combat skills make sense in-context. Plus her skills are hardly master-class yet.

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I've said this before and I'll say it again. I'm fully confident that Rey's sudden revelation as one with the force (and skills with a lightsaber) will be explained by Episode VIII. So many people just aren't giving Abrams the benefit of the doubt.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

Oh, Batman is definitely a Gary Stu. I've just never been fond of that type of character. They seem very wish fulfillment rather than "real human being" to me (just my opinion there). And I think Rey fits into the same mold. She's quite Sue-ish to me, but it irritates me that she gets called out on it and people agree with me whereas Batman gets praised and people bash my opinion on him into the ground (especially Nolan fanboys). It's not difficult to see why.

The starfighter didn't bother me as much because Anakin wasn't demonstrating real skill there. He was trying to fly it based on what he knew of pods but he still ends up crashing it, letting it overheat, and fiddling with the controls. He also has a lot of help from R2.

The mechanical genius is extraordinary, though, I'll give you that. Given that Anakin's a slave though and he recognizes that he wouldn't have lasted so long if he wasn't so good at fixing things, I think it's better incorporated into the story than Rey's multitude of skills.

I think, mostly, my issue with Rey is how other characters are often made to look worse in comparison to her. Han, Finn, and Kylo Ren all fall prey to this.

With Anakin, none of the main characters in TPM were disfavorably compared to him.

8. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    I have been laughing none stop for awhile. My sides were killing me after reading that. UK papers have to be digging at the bottom of the barrel?

9. Strongbow

Nov 6, 2014

The Finn thing is because it was a bit of a strike on Finn having a little bravado.... that he can't quite back up... yet. Finn's real strength is heart and his character is not "cooked" yet. I don't think Kylo looked "bad" at all. I think he looked conflicted, which, of course, he is. Rey is not conflicted, at least not about the Force. She backed off from the surge of Dark feelings, though I'd guess she will have temptations to come. Kylo is, as he says, "torn apart" and not able to completely call on the Force, as he is pulled by th elight and the dark. Han looked bad? How so? She showed some mechanical aptitude, but she's been learning that stuff for 14 years, and she had knowledge of the work done of the Falcon (and maybe was involved in it). Han wasn;t aware of these modifications. This just established that she would make a good crew member and helped explain why Han might offer her a job. But, there ya go. I loved her. She my favorite hero since I was 11 and wanted to be Luke Skywalker.

10. TheGoverness

TheGoverness Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 5, 2016
    I always wanted to be a rebel pilot myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. TheGoverness

Jan 5, 2016
    Yeah, the MRA boycott really "triumphed" over Star Wars VII's sales, lolz.

Tython Dawn likes this.
  12. TheGoverness

Jan 5, 2016
    Well people do go crazy when you criticize things they cherish, which is frankly stupid in my opinion. Hopefully they well highlight her weaknesses in the next film.

13. t-trooperyc94

t-trooperyc94 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 17, 2015

Except for the fact that the Phantom Menace is considered a bad film by the vast majority of people who saw it and Anakin being a main reason why. Complaining about it now is just beating a dead horse.

14. TheGoverness

Jan 5, 2016
    Except Anakin's reception by the audience has nothing to do with what I was saying. I was talking about how a 6 YEAR OLD BOY was able to somehow pilot a Naboo Star Fighter and was able to destroy a Trade Federation Frigate, but everybody's complaining about Rey piloting the Millennium Falcon.

Tython Dawn, Darth__Lobot and Satipo like this.
  15. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    Now the #1 movie in North American history.

To those men's rights activists:

[​IMG]

16. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Well lets look at a far-better received film, ANH. Where Luke is able to jump into an X-Wing for the first time, and fly it so well that he makes things difficult for expert/brilliant pilot Darth Vader, and blows up the DS. Whereas Rey was clearly familiar with how the MF worked, and knew about the "modifications" made to it by Unkar Platt. She'd just never actually flown it before (hence why she smashed part of the town initially).

17. CaptainPhasma

CaptainPhasma Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2016
    Right on point, my friend. Why is it that Luke gets a pass but Rey doesn't? Probably because they just want to complain about "Feminist Propaganda" within Star Wars VII, when it's clearly not there at all.

Strongbow and ShaneP like this.
  18. Mars457

Mars457 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 3, 2013
    Anyone can fly the Millenium Falcon. It's a YT-1300, the generic Clone Wars era light freighter. It's not like she grew up flying short haul freighters and then hopped into the cockpit of an X-Wing or something. She learned to fly in short haul freighters and then flew in another short haul freighter.

I can't believe people are complaining about Rey being able to fly the Falcon. It's a one of a kind only in pop culture, but it's a heavily modified antique version of a ship that's common as dirt in universe.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  19. Jensaarai-defender

Jensaarai-defender Jedi Master star 1

Sep 1, 2008
    Last I heard the Pick up Artist of which Return Of the Kings are(if i'm not mistaking) and the MRMs,MHRMS,MRAs were different groups.

20. CaptainPhasma

Jan 6, 2016
    Yeah it's like, the dumbest complaint ever. It's like they're just trying to grab anything they can and twist it around to fit their stupid narrative. Imagine how annoying it would be if Rey just crashed the 'Falcon into the sandy dunes of Jakku. That would have been boring as ****!

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  21. Tython Dawn

Tython Dawn Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    I think it's also likely that it would have originally made sense in TFA if not for certain cuts. Remember in the trailers, we heard Maz's voice say,"The Force calls to you, just let it in," and other things of that sort? Abrams (I think it was Abrams) has said that originally Maz accompanied them to the Resistance base, but those scenes were cut. My guess is that there were more scenes originally with Maz explaining the Force to Rey, and that would have made the last part of the Rey/Kylo duel make more sense. When Kylo says he can show her the way to the Force, she gasped, "the Force!" She remembered what Maz told her and decided to open herself to the Force. Makes a lot more sense that way.

It's not unlike Lucas's last-minute revision of RotS which made Anakin's fall seem less natural.

22. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

Specifically Darth Vader was referred to as "the best star pilot in the galaxy"

("and a cunning warrior" for that matter)

23. t-trooperyc94

t-trooperyc94 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 17, 2015

What? Luke has used X-wings before ANH. He didn't know how to fly the MF because he never used it before.

24. CaptainPhasma

Jan 6, 2016
    But Anakin is still a child at that time, though. I think it's more unrealistic for a underage kid to fly a Naboo Fighter into A Trade Federation Ship and succeed in blowing it up, rather than Rey piloting the Millennium Falcon.

Tython Dawn likes this.
  25. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

LOL no he didn't... T-16 baby

Satipo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.