main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Men's wear

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by across0the0stars, Aug 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    I wasn't quite sure where else to post this so here goes...
    It's relatively easy to find patterns and instructions on how to make all sorts of clothing for women, does anyone here know where to look for resources on making men's clothing? In particular I'm interested in learning about how to make a suit. I'm still not that great at searching things out myself online and I just haven't had much free time lately.
    thanks!

2. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    What kind of suit do you have in mind? There are many patterns out there that range from the simple to the complicated. I do a lot of all kinds of sewing and I would give you tips if I knew what you are looking for.

3. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    What kind of suit are we talking about?

4. across0the0stars

Jul 29, 2003
    I'm not 100% sure what kind at the moment, I'm trying to do some preliminary research for resources I may need this semester as a design student for a show. I don't know a whole lot about suits at all so I havent' really a clue as to where to start looking. I may be working on a musical set in the 1950's, that should help some. I'm clueless as to where to look for researching such information is my biggest problem at the moment.
    thanks

5. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    It is not particularly difficult to sew together. The pattern should come with sufficient instructions. If it is only for a stage production, then you could probably get away with cheating on a lot of the details (pockets etc).

What could be difficult would be to get a 1950's style to the suit. You might need to do some research, look at some real suits from that decade to see how you could modify your pattern.

6. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    There is a huge difference between just sewing a jacket and pants and constructing a tailored men's suit. The 'just sewing' can be done with commercial pattern and some practice. Tailoring, with all the proper interfacing, padding, hand stitching, steaming, rolling, etc, etc, is something that you have to learn hands-on.

I skipped taking the menswear elective at design school, as I had seen how intensive the skills were, and I didn't have the bandwidth to tackle it my senior year and still produce my senior design collection.

It would be a heck of allot easier to troll the Salvation Army and Thrift stores and pick up lots of 1950's suits and make minor alterations then to scratch built the suits. 1950's suits have a whole lotta tailoring going on, and if your not a pro at tailoring, you will never get the right look. And even from the stage you will be able to tell the suit is not correctly constructed/tailored.

To bad you were not doing this several months ago, I just recently purged a bunch of 1950 to 1960 men's suit jackets from my way to vast collection of vintage clothing. Some had small moth holes and/or stains, but that could have worked for stage.

7. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    As for where to start researching 1950's:
    http://www.costumes.org/history/100pages/1950INKS.HTM

I would also rent some 1950 movies and or TV shows:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=br_ss_hs/002-1401626-3724813?platform=gurupa&url=index%3Ddvd&keywords=1950&Go.x=8&Go.y=5
    and/or check if any cable station is showing classic 1950's movies or TV.

8. across0the0stars

Jul 29, 2003
    thank you,

those links look like they'll be useful in the future,

in general I'm just interested in learning about what goes into making men's clothes for the most part, I just also happen to be a candidate to design a 50's musical. More than likely everything will be found and bought or rented, although I would be interested in learning how to make one eventually. Currently my college doesn't particularly have one professor or professional dedicated costume person so I'm looking for an interesting project to do on my own. Since I know nothing about suits or men's clothing I figured it be a good place to start learning a thing or two. I obviously need a reference like a good book or something of the like. Any good recommendations for something like this?
    I'm sorry, I should have been clearer at first about what I meant.

9. larame_kaine

larame_kaine Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2005
    Try using Vogue patterns. They have a few suits for men.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.