Saga Mentors: Qui-Gon VS Obi-Wan VS Yoda

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jarren_Lee-Saber, Dec 15, 2013.

?

Greatest Mentor?

Qui-Gon Jinn 14 vote(s) 66.7%
Ob-Wan Kenobi 4 vote(s) 19.0%
Yoda 3 vote(s) 14.3%
  1. Jarren_Lee-Saber Force Ghost

star 4
    Since we're doing these sweet comparisons....
    Who do you think was the better mentor? And the loss of which one had more effect on the character and the galaxy?

For me, it will always be this guy:
    [IMG]
  2. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Yoda is probably my favorite, I love the idea of Obi-Wan coming back as a ghost to help Luke and Qui-Gon should have been Obi-Wan from the beginning. Maybe a just being Knighted.
  3. Darkslayer Force Ghost

star 4
    Greatest mentor? Qui-Gon. Most skilled on the other hand would be Yoda. But, they are 2 entirely different things.
    Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. DRush76 Force Ghost

star 4
    Qui-Gon Jinn always.
  5. The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Obi-Wan. Though he took an apprentice too early, which is why he messed up so badly. If he had taken an apprentice around the time of ROTS I think he would have been much more successful. He is more levelheaded and by the book than Qui-Gon, but still not as indoctrinated with the Jedi as Yoda is.
  6. Seagoat Force Ghost

star 4
    Qui-Gon: believed in the boy who eventually became the Chosen One, acted against the Jedi Council even though it could be considered an inconvenience or even risk on his part, was right about Anakin all along, Luke ended up being quite like him

Obi-Wan: great mentor and friend to Anakin, but turns into a lying, bitter old man who manipulates Luke into trying to kill the man he now seems to resent

Yoda: much of the same as Obi-Wan, has no faith in Luke's ideas or Vader/Anakin
    Jarren_Lee-Saber and Thoix Heoro like this.
  7. Thoix Heoro Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I agree with this. Luke reminds me more of a younger Qui-Gon than a Obi-Wan or Yoda. I think Anakin would have turned out better if Qui-Gon had been his mentor, not Obi-Wan.
    Jarren_Lee-Saber and Seagoat like this.
  8. Cryogenic Force Ghost

star 4
    Obi-Wan had the most plates to juggle, and obviously really bonded with Anakin -- note the reference to Anakin's own planet in the ROTS line, "Oh, I agree. However, it may turn out just to be a wild bantha chase" (embarking to face Grievous) -- but Qui-Gon is surely the more sterling figure: physically, mentally, spiritually, symbolically. The guy has warmth, grace, humility, charm, arrogance, patience, and cunning, all in tight alignment. Not a perfect mentor, by any means, but seemingly the most-rounded and best-composed. Yoda? Well, Yoda, I see as there to guide others, but often through finding fault or lamenting the blind-spots of others. He's more your wizened teacher you go to for advice, but not a mentor in the more intimate sense of playing the role of a strong father or a brother-in-arms.

Just my opinion, of course.
  9. Minez01 Force Ghost

star 1
    IMO Obi Wan is a good mentor, but it's questionable because his actions in AOTC don't really match up with the warmth and camaraderie he displays in ROTS. Qui Gon was also a good mentor but I felt that Qui Gon's actions were more out of his own interests rather than trying to set a good example for Obi Wan at the time - particularly by having his last lines be about Anakin, when he is dying in his apprentice's arms - IMO if he was really concerned with Obi Wan, he's probably have given Obi Wan some form of encouragement or something to go on with rather than simply telling him to train Anakin.

Yoda I don't really think we see enough of to make a judgment, he seems a good leader of the Jedi order but it's hard to tell as an individual mentor. I also personally thought that Obi Wan probably wasn't trying to manipulate Luke in the OT just because he wanted to kill Vader, or was evil - realistically he's seen Anakin get too involved with his emotion (particularly surrounding his mother) so I think he's trying to keep the truth from Luke to avoid him having the same ordeal. Because really if Luke was any weaker in mind & spirit, he might have fallen to the same path as Anakin did all those years ago. And looking at it that way, I don't really blame Obi Wan for trying to protect Luke a little bit. But I enjoy how it all gets laid to rest at the end of ROTJ when Obi, Anakin and Yoda are all together on Endor in spirit.
  10. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6
    Liam Nees...I mean Qui-Gon Jinn
  11. CommanderDrenn Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Yoda all the way. He is my favorite character, so I am biased.
  12. IIA_MasterSHenson Jedi Knight

star 1
    QuiGon hands down

Yoda has the skill but, as seen from training Luke, not the patience or friendly, parental ways to mentor. A mathematician or literary genius can know what they are talking about and be unable to tell others.
    Not ObiWan simply because he never developed his mentor technique. He wasn't ready to take on Anakin when he did and he was more of a teacher or protector to Luke (and old and kind of tired :D ). He never developed that QuiGon mentor gene.

(QuiGon was already handling three kids in TPM. And died for them)
    Last edited by IIA_MasterSHenson, Dec 30, 2013