main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Mentors: Qui-Gon VS Obi-Wan VS Yoda

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jarren_Lee-Saber, Dec 15, 2013.

?

Greatest Mentor?

1. Qui-Gon Jinn

24 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. Ob-Wan Kenobi

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. Yoda

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    Well the council TOLD qui gonn the boy had fear and anger in him and didn't want to train him and advised against right? Of course I'm not saying qui gonn is the entire reason for anakin becoming a murderer but HE was warned about the boy, yes or no? Then finally he uses his dying wish to put pressure on obi wan to train him. A good mentor should've known the padawan he didn't even finish training would not be ready to take on a high risk student. But qui believes he's wiser then everyone else and it ends with 2 young men having to fight to the death. It's terribly obvious qui was stubborn and he was absolutely wrong about Anakin Skywalkee something he was so sure of IMO.

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The Council sensed fear in him.

He was warned about him being too old and his future being clouded.

To put pressure?! No, he used his dying wish to express what he believed in. A belief that was proven to be right.

He considered his training to be finished.

There's no logic or correlation in that statement.

He wasn't wrong about Anakin, as the movies show us. And Anakin's mistakes and crimes can't be blamed on others who always gave the right advice to him.

3. SkywalkerOG

Sep 19, 2014
    The Council sensed fear in him.

The point is the council knew not to train him and they were right

He was warned about him being too old and his future being clouded.

And he totally dismisses it very stubborn

To put pressure?! No, he used his dying wish to express what he believed in. A belief that was proven to be right.

I disagree anakin was more trouble then anything

He considered his training to be finished.

HE again he doesn't listen he thinks he's above the rules and standards

There's no logic or correlation in that statement.

Yes there is the point is qui put two young men In a rough spot and it ended with them trying to kill eachother

He wasn't wrong about Anakin, as the movies show us. And Anakin's mistakes and crimes can't be blamed on others who always gave the right advice to him.[/quote]

He was wrong IMO the galaxy would've been better off if qui leaves ani on tatooine.

Jangounchained1990 likes this.
  4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They were both right.

He didn't dismiss it. He acknowledged it. But he also knew he was the Chosen One.

You disagree against a fact?!

When?

Again, Anakin's faults is not Qui-Gon's nor Obi-Wan's. Neither of them ignored the Jedi way and let attachment and fear of loss take over his actions and life.

The facts prove him right, so he wasn't wrong.

Your opinion is ignoring the fact that Anakin being taken or left on Tatooine is irrelevant to the rise of the Sith, therefore the galaxy wouldn't be better with him there. On the contrary, since if Anakin had been left there, the prophecy wouldn't have been fullfilled and the Sith would continue to rule forever.

5. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015

But Palpatine would have had no excuse to persecute the Jedies if not for Anakin.

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What?! Of course he would. He wants to destroy the Jedi from the very beginning.

7. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

Palpatine would have destroyed the Jedi with or without Anakin.

SkywalkerOG likes this.
  8. Jangounchained1990

May 31, 2015

But what is the excuse if the Jedies never found out that he was a sith lord and tried to kill him?

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Because the Jedi were the ones who destroyed the Sith long ago.

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge."

10. Jangounchained1990

May 31, 2015

No I mean excuse to the public.

11. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    In TPM Yoda said to Obi-Wan: "The Chosen One the boy may be. Nevertheless, grave danger I sense in his training."

Ignore for a second the out-universe explanation that Obi-Wan has to be Anakin's master because the OT came first.

In-universe: If Yoda thought (rightly so) that training Anakin would have to be handled with great care, then he should've asked for an experienced Jedi Master to train Anakin instead of the inexperienced and newly-knighted Kenobi.

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He would eventually reveal himself.

And what exactly would have changed? As we saw, Anakin's fall didn't happen due to Obi-Wan's training, nor due to lack of advice from experienced masters such as Yoda. He fell because of his fear of loss, which was further exploited by Sidious. And all of this when he was a fully trained Jedi Knight.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  13. enigmaticjedi

Nov 2, 2011
    This line from ROTJ says otherwise:

Ben Kenobi: "I thought I could teach him (Anakin) just as well as Yoda. I was wrong."

This line from ROTS corroborates it:

Obi-Wan: "I have failed you, Anakin. I have failed you."

Yes, Anakin bears the primary responsibility for his fall. Nevertheless, we don't know if a different master could have helped to avoid this outcome. In any situation, it makes it less likely

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Obi-Wan blames himself as his master, but we as the audience know that it wasn't his fault. We saw what made Anakin fall, and it wasn't Obi-Wan's teachings and training.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  15. enigmaticjedi

Nov 2, 2011
    Anakin bears the primary responsibility certainly. However, it is possible that different training could have prevented this. Sidious turned Anakin in large part due to making him feel alienated from the Jedi.

Perhaps if Obi-Wan'a training was better and perhaps if the Jedi didn't actively mistrust him (Mace Windu), Sidious might not have been able to exploit this.

Yes, Anakin failed tremendously. However, if there were ever a reason to make an exception to make someone feel more included, wouldn't it be for the Chosen One?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm not sure how different training would have prevented Anakin's inability of dealing with loss. Because that was the reason for his fall. Mace may have not trusted him and the Council may have asked something that wouldn't be right under normal circunstances, but Anakin only fell due to his fear of loss and the promise of controling death.

Again, he was a fully trained Jedi Knight. He knew what he was doing was wrong but he did it anyway because he couldn't handle the alternative. That's on him and nobody else (except Sidious who fed on his weakness).

17. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    Qui-Gon, he basically trained Obi-Wan, Anakin and Yoda at some point.

18. enigmaticjedi

Nov 2, 2011
    We'll agree to disagree on that matter then.

Regardless, ignoring all of the out-universe plot issues, you have to admit that the most logical thing for Yoda to do in TPM would've been to appoint an experienced Jedi Master to train Anakin.

19. SkywalkerOG

Sep 19, 2014
    Anakin was never meant to be a Jedi qui was wrong anakin only "fulfilled the prophecy" cause luke was so much greater a Jedi then he EVER was that chosen one stuff doesn't hold up to me