main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Merging the Amphitheatre and YJCC (back) together. (Now talking about where sports go)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Tabula Rasa, Aug 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I think it's time the Amphitheatre got assimilated back into YJCC. As nice of a forum as it has become over the years, the Amphitheatre forum was never really necessary to begin with - The JCC was basically just split in two, and the Amphitheatre walked away with the good stuff - the basic ingrediënts that made the JCC what it was back in the day - topics of shared interest wich naturally spawned social contact and friendships. I'm not one to look back on a 'golden age' and compare it to the current overall quality of a forum, but I feel that the JCC has come to a point where it needs that 50 percent, known now as the Amphitheatre, back where it belongs.

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I wouldn't say the Amphitheatre was 50% of the JCC. Maybe 10%. That's why people petitioned for it, because they were tired of searching through 90% junk to find the 10% of good discussion that they cared about.

3. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    I want the episode IV spoiler forum back!

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Have to disagree with you, gabe. The Amphitheatre is doing better than ever right now, and has come into its own as a forum.

If you take the "necessary" approach, one could argue that the entire JC is unnecessary, or that anything beyond a single giant forum is likewise unnecessary.

Just as with the Senate, the discussion in the Amphitheatre is slower but more in-depth, whereas the JCC is much faster and not as in-depth. Posts and threads of that sort have a tendency to get lost in a fast-moving forum, and they do much better in a smaller place like the Amphitheatre.

5. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Speak it.

6. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    I agree with what Jeff said as well. The Ampitheatre is a relatively small portion of the JCC, and if you merged them back together alot of that discussion that does well as it's own forum would be lost in the other topics in the JCC.

7. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Exactly. The Amphitheatre ran off with the good stuff, however large or small a percentage you want to lable it, and the current JCC is the 'junk' they left behind. I personally don't feel that the JC has gotten that bad over the last year or two, but I do feel that there has been a steady decline in overall quality. It is because I believe it will only get worse post-ROTS, that I'm putting the idea of merging the two again forward.

I'm well aware of that - It is exactly those aspects of the Amphitheatre that I feel the JCC needs to regain. Discussion of that sort used to keep the JCC in balance. Not having to search back a few pages for your favorite thread every once in a while upon logging on is not an excuse that can justify a diët JCC forum. Not in my ever so humble opinion at least.

8. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    do you think that if they merged and those topics were made in the YJCC, that they would be as in depth as they are in the amphitheatre? Don't you think you'd see a lot more "this movie rocks!" posts in the YJCC?

9. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    In a way, the Amphitheatre and the YJCC are already together, as they are located in the JC Community sub-board.

Additionally, when you take all the "spin-off" forums of the JC Community, i.e., Senate, Amphitheatre, and Census, they can essentially all be a part of the same forum under one guiding characteristic: off-topic. However, the Senate and the Amphitheatre are for more serious, in-depth, and close-knit discussion that does not stand the risk of being degraded into something of a YJCC mode.

People go to the YJCC for "fun and lighthearted". If you merge the Amphitheatre with the YJCC, then there would be a confusing mess of conflicting threads and mods would probably want to regulate the original Amphitheatre threads so they didn't become "fun and lighthearted", in other words, standing the danger of becoming too spammy, derailed, or light. Overall, it would be a headache for users, notably new ones, and the mods alike.

I can see a situation down the line where JC traffic begins to lighten considerably and the administration will probably merge forums back together to adapt to the decline of the JC's heyday. But now is not the time, I feel. Too soon.

I can also see a possible situation where the YJCC becomes much too degraded, decayed, whatever word you want to use, and the administration will have the unpreferable option of deleting it or merging the Amphitheatre then the Senate, back into the YJCC to serve as examples to users, most importantly- new users, on what good discussion is like. But, of course, those stand the risk of decay unless there is some serious and careful moderating without scaring away some or most of the YJCC's residents. But that time hasn't come and (hopefully) won't come.

10. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    While I don't agree that what's left in JCC with the Senate and Amphitheatre topics gone is all automatically junk, I do hear what you're saying, gabe. I sometimes wish JCC were allowed a more substantive mix of topics.

11. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I really think the Amphitheatre should stay. If people want to have in-depth discussions, it shouldn't be too hard to find the Amph in the sub-categories. And furthermore, what about the people who post in there regularly? Some people are turned off from the YJCC. And if even if they merged, the posters are the ones who make the forum, not the topic. So don't expect suddenly everybody will stop making lame and sophmoric threads because that's not reality.

12. Le_Sammler

Le_Sammler Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 21, 2005
    I agree. I wouldn't like to see it merged with the JCC. I am a huge lover of film, literature, etc... and love that it is all in one great convenient place in the Amphitheatre. I would have to rummage through the JCC amongst all the spam type threads to find 'the good stuff'.

13. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    well then quit making spam type threads. You're responsible for like 50% of those anyway.

14. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Anyone who registered after the creation of the Ampitheatre (which, lets face it, is most of the current JCC population) would seriously freak out if they had intelligent topics confronting them when they next logged on.

Vote "No!" to stop poor, stupid JCCers from falling out of their chairs.

15. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    That's not acceptable, and you should know it.

16. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    sorry. :( I'll lie next time.

17. Charn

Charn Jedi Master star 8

Dec 23, 2004
    by that logic, you should be saying the same thing about the Senate forum.

18. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Way to wait until one of the Amphitheatre moderators was on vacation! I had to spend a half an hour trying to remember what my password was, and I'm working on a 640x480 monitor here. :p

I do not believe that adding the Amphitheatre to Community would produce a more intelligent Community. Further, I don't believe that the Amphitheatre is stealing threads from Community, and I believe that the majority of the people who post in the Amphitheatre post in both the Amphitheatre and Community. Threads on big movies and books, like Harry Potter or whatever the blockbuster of the week is, exist in both the Amphitheatre and the JCC. The same goes for a lot of television shows. About the only threads that the Amphitheatre has that I've haven't really seen equivilents for in Community are Zaz and Rogue's list threads (discussing list people have made about great movies/quotes/soundtracks/songs/artworks/etc), the threads about smaller fantasy and sf series, and the comics threads.

The difference is that the Amphitheatre versions tend not be, as Corsuscant put it, so "spammy, derailed, or light." Putting the two forums back together would lead to a) a brief period where the people looking for discussion and people happy to socialize coexisted uneasily, b) the people looking for discussion complaining about the spammy people, c) moderators having to decide whether or not to cut out the spam or tell them to coexist peacefully, and we'd almost certainly choose the second, and d) the majority of the people looking for discussion going elsewhere.

19. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    EXCUSE me?!?!?

Ahhh... have a look through my profile, I hardly start threads (only do when I can't see something existing about a topic)... I mainly post in existing threads. I really don't know what you are referring to?

20. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    oh holy crap! For some reason I mistook you for that Andalite-Bandit guy. whoops. I don't even know why I thought that.

21. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    Thanks OK! No harm, no foul... just got me confused, that's all! :)

22. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I believe the two forums have been split for the whole time I've been at the JCC... so i honestly can say I don't really care one way or the other, as I don't post in amphitheater. WOuld it improve JCC? Well, you know, probably.... but i doubt significantly, and it'd just cause a lot of grief for the amphitheater regulars. So i guess i think it's unneccesary, but not really a bad idea, especially from my POV.

23. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I'd look at it as three separate forums; The JCC, The Amph, and The Senate.

In depth decent discussions occur in the Senate and the Amph, whereas high level (spamish) discussions occur in the JCC, which suits that forum.

Could you imagine re-merging the JCC and the Senate ? Cats and dogs living together etc.

Leave the Amph where is it to allow indepth discussion of arts and media.

24. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Do Amphitheatre regulars really want their threads merged back into the JCC? I can't imagine someone trying to have an in-depth discussion on the nature of humanity in The War of the Worlds would like to have to sift though dozens of JCC-style "OMG I liek this movie! The 'splosions were cool!" posts.

25. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    I like them split. If anything, I want more of a split. It's annoying having two threads about the same topic, like 24 for example. Both are equally in depth and could easily be combined. Some people even cut and paste responses into both the threads. Other examples are the recent Batman and WotW threads. The JCC threads were jsut as indepth as amph threads.

If amph is considered too slow, simply put all arts discussion in there, and get it out the JCC.

But personally, I think it's fine as it is, overall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.