main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Merging the Amphitheatre and YJCC (back) together. (Now talking about where sports go)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Tabula Rasa, Aug 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Which is something I can say would be similar to a Sports Forum. As pointed out, I (and others) feel that confining sports discussion into one thread per sport is absolute nonsense. I'm just trying to get sports discussion to thrive again outside of one thread. Something I think can be accomplished either by a new Forum, or a compromise as stated above in my previous posts. Either way works and everyone wins, in a sense.

:)

2. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    if jcc is an e-coffee house, one could talk about who will win the world series, your favourite sports player of all time or your favourite simpsons or buffy episode in there. if the senate is an e-speech team, one could ponder the intellectual significance of keroac of beckett or the dramatics of kubrick and scorsese in there, while also spicing up each forum at the same time.

you know i'm right.

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    lol, wins. Sports. Wins? Competition! lol!!!

Geddit?

Anyway yes, the point about there being a certain purpose behind the creation of The Senate and The Amphitheatre, freeing up a particular tone of discussion, and that purpose being sorely lacking in the creation any sports forum is a point that has been made many many times in this thread.

And so with progress in mind... any indication as to whether the JCC mods are going to allow this experiment?

I have the same concerns, and I am agaisnt the forum. However, short of creating a whole new forum as a test bed (not going to happen) this compromise will, if allowed to run a decent course, be the best way to establish if there's an actual long term desire to discuss sports outside of the official threads. If people keep trying to move discussion outside of the official threads say... four or five months after the compromise began... then more investigation into a whole new forum will surely be warranted.

4. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Everton posted on 9/21/05 9:22am
    ... if allowed to run a decent course, [it would] be the best way to establish if there's an actual long term desire to discuss sports outside of the official threads. If people keep trying to move discussion outside of the official threads say... four or five months after the compromise began... then more investigation into a whole new forum will surely be warranted. [hr][/blockquote]

Which is something I agree on. It only makes sense that before creating a Forum, the audience and popularity of the subject need to be tested to see if the traffic warrants a new, separate, Forum. I think it will ... but we'll never know until we try. I'd also be interested to know where the JCC MODs are leaning towards on this one.

[b]EDIT[/b]:

[blockquote][link=http://boards.theforce.net/user.asp?usr=Everton][b]Everton[/b][/link] [b]posted on 9/21/05 9:22am[/b][hr] lol, wins. Sports. [i]Wins?[/i] Competition! lol!!!

Geddit? [hr][/blockquote]

OMG! You totally pwned!!one!1 on teh joke! Good one.

[face_tongue]

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Everton posted on 9/21/05 9:22am
    lol, wins. Sports. [i]Wins?[/i] Competition! lol!!!

Geddit?

Anyway yes, the point about there being a certain purpose behind the creation of The Senate and The Amphitheatre, freeing up a particular tone of discussion, and that purpose being sorely lacking in the creation any sports forum is a point that has been made many many times in this thread.

And so with progress in mind... any indication as to whether the JCC mods are going to allow this experiment?

I have the same concerns, and I am agaisnt the forum. However, short of creating a whole new forum as a test bed (not going to happen) this compromise will, if allowed to run a decent course, be the best way to establish if there's an actual long term desire to discuss sports outside of the official threads. If people keep trying to move discussion outside of the official threads say... four or five months after the compromise began... then more investigation into a whole new forum will surely be warranted. [hr][/blockquote]

[color=red]Why wait so long? There already is a demand & problems with the compromise has already been pointed out.[/color]

6. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Yes problems have been pointed out... but a situation on the JC where everyone can agree there are no problems whatsoever? Please.

So the best compromise, even with slight flaws, is the way to go. If successful (from your point of view) it will establish that a good number of people want to discuss sports outside of the established official threads. If, say... a good number of sports threads begin to appear in the JCC, and continue to appear over a period of time and yet they drown because of the JCC's particular atmosphere then I suppose it could be claimed (with a little more conviction) that the JCC is, after all, holding back sports discussion.

As it stands, we can debate all we like about whether we think sports discussion is being hampered in the JCC in the same way Senate and Amphitheatre worthy discussion was, that it's being restricted... but because sport discussion is currently wrapped up in the large official threads we can't ever be sure.

Take it out, let it spread whatever wings it might have, and see if the JCC drowns it out. Maybe it will, in which case weight is added to the argument for a sports forum, and maybe it won't, in which case we've arrived at the ideal solution.

So if the compromise is approved... give it a chance. It's an infinitely better option than rushing headlong into a sports forum.

7. -Commander_Thigh-

-Commander_Thigh- Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2004
    I think we should have a LOST forum.[face_love]

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Rushing into a sports fourm? It's been a couple of weeks now that this has been discussed, it's not like were debating on what to do with North Korea here.

9. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    So, do we have an official desiscion yet.

10. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    No. If there was one, don't you think it would be announced?

11. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    would it matter?

Wasn't an official decision made that we'd be moving off IGN? [face_plain]

:p

12. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Well, the compromise will certainly raise the amount of traffic/threads that are created and maintained in the JCC. So it's really up to the JCC MODs to decide whether that's a good idea or not for their Forum. Patience. A week ago we didn't even have a Proposal submitted and now we have serious & productive conversations going on. At least we're moving closer to a solution ... whatever that might be.

:)

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    No, we're not... but that certainly doesn't mean the decision over this issue should be taken lightly.

14. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004

I don't know, maybe.

15. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I agree. The MS is now reviewing and discussing the proposal, be patient and wait for their descision.

16. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    So I was reading another thread in Comms and it looks like the JCC is also getting an Official Social Thread, or something like that. In addition to that and possibly the allowance to post various sports threads in the JCC ... man, the JCC is going to be the place to be! :p

17. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I thought I would drop by here and show you all an example of a message board that recently added a Sports forum.

http://bb.elecplay.com/viewforum.php?f=22&sid=d190f03c41968247aa72248418d2d6fa

Most of the users there are Canadian, which explains all the NHL threads. I'm not saying this is what the JC's forum would turn into but you never know. But then again the EP forums have a total of three moderators, and they really don't "moderate" that much.

18. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Lots of threads with only a couple of replies there... but that seems to be something of a constant across a lot of the forums on those boards. Even the gaming forum is pretty sparse.

19. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Everton posted on 9/23/05 9:20am
    Lots of threads with only a couple of replies there... but that seems to be something of a constant across a lot of the forums on those boards. [hr][/blockquote]

Right, but how comparable is their traffic to the traffic of the JC? Volume is an important aspect to consider. I don't envision the JCC with tons of sports threads with only a few replies in each.

20. Everton

Jul 18, 2003

21. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Everton posted on 9/23/05 9:32am
    Yeah, that's why I mentioned that it seems to be a constant across the boards there. [face_tongue] [hr][/blockquote]

Yes you did say that. I misread your post and I thought you said [i]"... [it] seems to be a constant across a lot of [b]these[/b] Forums."[/i]

[face_hypnotized]

22. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    lol. Lines of communication running smoothly as ever. :p

23. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Friday afternoons aren't my best, [face_tired]

:p

24. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    Perhaps we should close down the JC Forums for the weekend and we can all come back on Monday all fresh and ready to go?

25. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    DarthPhelps posted on 9/23/05 10:00am
    Perhaps we should close down the JC Forums for the weekend and we can all come back on Monday all fresh and ready to go? [hr][/blockquote] [face_mischief]

(bans everyone)

See you Monday! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.