Merging the Amphitheatre and YJCC (back) together. (Now talking about where sports go)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by gabe, Aug 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. RidingMyCarousel Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    That took a while.
  2. DarthTunick SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    gabe posted on 10/2/05 3:00am
    />

Good for you!=D=/>/>
  3. Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Does ESPN have forums? ;)
  4. Captain_Typho Force Ghost

star 5
    While I'm upset the sports forum didn't get passed, I'm glad the administration is at least looking into the possibilities of more sports discussion in the YJCC without cramming it into one big general thread.
  5. epic Ex Mod / RSA

star 7
    i think this entire scenario is pretty straight forward and i don't think anything needs to change from the current situation. the baseball, football whatever threads all work fine and everything pertaining to that sport is fine being in the main thread. i don't see how anyone can argue against that. it keeps the thread rolling along. this doesn't mean that you can't make other sport related threads though -- there's no rule against this anyway -- ie the olympics thread, or, say... 'who is the biggest sports personality in the world', or any number of different topics. there is no 'there can only be x sport related threads open at one time', just like there isn't a similar rule for movie related threads. like i say, i don't see what the problem is to begin with. certainly i don't understand this ongoing deliberation behind closed doors when nothing needs, or will, or even CAN be changed. what possible change in the current setup IS there? i'm struggling to think of anything that the MS could actively alter beyond the creation of a seperate forum which, quite rightly, will never occur.
  6. DarthTunick SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    Glad to see the compromise the Mods are pushing is taking so quickly to decide.
  7. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    ok, let me sum up for you.

Nothing is changing.

The End.
  8. DarthTunick SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    Oh, fantastic. Logic prevails again.[face_plain]
  9. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
  10. DarthTunick SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
  11. Alethia Force Ghost

star 5
    Nothing is changing.

So that's it? No further discussion?

Perhaps I misunderstood, but it seemed to me like the mods were going to find a compromise- that there would be more lienancy in regards to Sports threads or something. Or at least that's the impression I got.

Edit: Fixed 'impression'
  12. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    We were going to discuss various ideas which we did, and came to the conclusion that nothing needs changing. We don't *have* to find a comprimise just because a few users would like us to do.
  13. DarthTunick SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    Well I'm not suprised that the Mod Squad said they were going to do something & end up not doing it.
  14. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    The MS never promised anything other than discussion, which did take place. If you want to post misinformation, do it somewhere else.
  15. DarthTunick SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    Was there even a compromise discussed to a great extent?
  16. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    If the compromise wasn't working towards a larger goal (and it wasn't going to be), then it would only have made things more complex for users and JCC mods alike. Therefore things don't need to change. One doesn't compromise for the sake of it.

Good decision MS.

But... but... nothing cool and new is going to happen!!

What a shame. ;)
  17. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
    We don't *have* to find a comprimise just because a few users would like us to do.

For a while now, I've been very on the fence about the issue however the bold words in the above are a vast understatement.

Out of the near 150 users who were polled, I'd say roughly half were in favor of a sports forum, meaning that they would most definitely be in favor of a compromise since the sports forum idea was passed over.

And there's no telling how much greater the positive response would've been if I had posed the question as being "Are you in a favor of a compromise of some sort?" instead of a sports forum-basis.

I know popular thought doesn't and shouldn't count for most things since it just can't work that way on the JC, but I just thought I'd do some mythbusting. In finality, those pushing for a sports forum or at least a compromise are not a whiny few. ;)
  18. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Your survey is statistically invalid, and should not be used as any sort of definitive measuring stick.
  19. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
    [rescinded statement for further thought]

20. AmazingB Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Out of the near 150 users who were polled, I'd say roughly half were in favor of a sports forum, meaning that they would most definitely be in favor of a compromise since the sports forum idea was passed over.

Oh, and, those who care enough about the JC to take a long survey should have a voice that counts.

What about the half who wouldn't be in favor of a sports forum? Why shouldn't they have a voice that counts? Because they disagreed?

Amazing.
  21. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
    Of course they should have a voice that counts, B. I'm not narrow-minded about it, in any way.

Why isn't a polling of those who care about the JC demonstrating by the way they volunteered to take the poll considered statistically valid?

Even then.

I know I'm missing forums like 3SA, WNU, EUC, RPF, Games, etc... etc... etc... but unfortunately I don't think I'd be given the leeway to go that far.

And I can't PM users at random as unsolicited PMs are against policy.

EDIT: and should not be used as any sort of definitive measuring stick.

I thought I made it clear in my first post on this page of the thread that I don't think popular opinion should be a basis for which the JC goes on. But my pursuit is in knowing what the popular opinion is anyway.
  22. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Why isn't a polling of those who care about the JC demonstrating by the way they volunteered to take the poll considered statistically valid?

If you take a statistics class, I'm sure you'll understand why it isn't statistically valid.

It wasn't a random sample, the questions were poorly written (often vague, leading, biased, or any combination of these and other problems) and there's no way to be certain about the data, among other reasons.

But my pursuit is in knowing what the popular opinion is anyway.

It's very difficult to design a statistically valid survey for online use, and I'm quite sure that it would be beyond me at this point, though if I were back in my stats class, maybe I could make a halfway decent attempt.

But, my point is that your data cannot be taken to be any more valid or informative than your average poll in the Census forum.
  23. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
    I took a Prob/Stats elective last year- I don't blame you for calling it difficult. Believe me.

Concerning bias, leading, etc... they're questions. Just for asking people upfront if they think the administration is corrupt is not any of those. If they disagree, simply, "No." That's it.

So you guys can call bias, bla bla bla whatever, but as far as I'm concerned, that's just spinning to destabilize the survey's cred due to your point-of-view, or bias.

I am at least trying to do something here. And I'm getting soot in the face for it.

24. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Did you know that before or after you sent out unsolicited PMs?
  25. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
    Did you know that before or after you sent out unsolicited PMs?

Before. Sort of.

I had informed Raven a month or so ago that I was going to conduct a questionnaire and asked him if I could do it by PM. He didn't okay it because it's unsolicited PMing (and for another reason but it's still a PM and I'm not going to restate it here) and suggested I instead start threads in Comms and in YJCC with KW's approval, to call for takers.

EDIT: And shouldn't this discussion be relayed to the questionnaire thread as this thread is currently getting derailed?
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.