main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Merging the Amphitheatre and YJCC (back) together. (Now talking about where sports go)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Tabula Rasa, Aug 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Well since traffic to TF.N is going to decrease, then why would the flow of traffic in a sports fourm be an issue? The Lucasfilm Projects fourm is slow as a snail you know. You really think a sports fourm would be slower?

2. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    So the LFL forum being slow justifies there being a sports forum?

If there were to be made a sports forum, there would probably only be a half a dozen to a dozen regular threads (this is in comparison to the threads now in the YJCC), not including a pin-up thread and one for organizational purposes and perhaps another acting as a social thread. All in all, not enough to take up a page with the capacity to show 25 threads- worse than some Fan Force forums.

Now, of course the creation of a sports forum may breathe life into many more threads and there wouldn't be redirecting and locking or any of that. There could be individual threads based on a series of games or matches, whatever word you prefer to use, etc... But how much discussion can there be on series of games without becoming social or YJCC-like? Any debate coming out of this would essentially be conflicting points-of-view over whether a referee made the right call or not, etc... Overall, I think it would just become spammy and nothing like the discussion seen in Amphitheatre, and certainly not approaching the Senate. Not to mention that if this kind of liberal thread making were allowed, the hypothetical sports forum would overflow.

Looking at KW's MLB thread in the YJCC, I think you guys cover all the discussion in just that thread pertaining to baseball just fine. And that thread's only near 120 pages two months away from the World Series. There's no need for seperate threads pertaining to individual discussion of one game or a series and so forth.

Then the talk about team-centric threads... I think a better idea would be to open team-centric threads in their respective FanForce forums (not as an organized endeavour, just hey, I'm gonna start this thread, guys). So, like, here can be discussed the current victories, losses, games, etc... of a particular team and here can also be organized future meet-ups for SW fans and so-and-so particular team's fans. And as far as I know, FF hasn't done anything of the sort of outruling sports threads, as long as they're kept to a necessary minimum. Team-centric threads opened in the YJCC can be locked and redirected to any particular sport team's FFF thread.

That's my two cents.

3. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    not much of a sports fan are ya?

if you don't think sports fans(especially the ones in the JC) can hold a debate about sports without it becoming nothing but spam, then you don't know much about the subject. There's just too much to discuss about everything in sports. Everything can't fit into one thread per sport. I've had threads locked about sports related stuff and was redirected to the official thread for the sport. But as soon as you bring up news or something, it doesn't really get time to develop into a full discussion because people are always coming in updating about another news story, the latest scores, who they think should've won MVP and crap like that.

4. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Anyone who is arguing that the LFP forum is a justification for a JCC based forum is using faulty logic. The LFP forum was created in response to have a place to discus anything that was produced by either LucasFilm or George Lucas that was not Star Wars. This was in part because TFN main actually does report on these projects, and thus the forum is a part of the wide group of forums related to the main site and thus not governed by the same "rules" over existance as any of the forums that belong in the YJCC category are.

If you want a sports forum, how about instead of sitting there and saying "I want, I want" actually take a leaf out of the same book that those who got the Senate Floor and Amphitheatre created and do some leg work. Get a whole stack of people on board (FYI, the Senate had hundreds of people signed in agreement include a large number of mods back when the entire JC was half the size it is in membership now) and outline what benefits it will actually provide to the JC as a whole, including arguements against what are likely to be the brought-up issues against it's creation. Do that and people might actually start to take what you are saying seriously.

Gotta love the "gimme" attitude that is so pervasive through the JC nowdays.

5. Confidence

Confidence Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    I would not want a sports forum. This would mean The Beautiful Game thread being moved there, losing a lot of potential contributors. A sports forum may be more specific, but it's not gonna see anywhere near as much casual traffic as the JCC.

No. No. No.

6. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I would love a sports forum, if we need to recruit people to get it, so be it, I'll be the first to begin the recruiting stage.

7. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Personally I'd revamp the two forums. Amphitheatre has kind of pushed itself away from the artistic side of movies and art. Some movies brought up are not artistic by any means yet they are in the amphitheatre. So why not just make everything movies, art, books, music in one forum.

As for a sports forum, I am for it. It would be difficult to maintain since there are many sports. You have NFL, NCAA, NBA, WNBA, MLB, NHL, Poker, Lacrosse, Tennis, MLS, Golf, WWE (sports entertainment). I think it's enough to warrant a forum. My only problem is maintaining it with so many topics.

8. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Heres an idea. how about adding sports to the ampitheater.

You could add traffic to the ampitheater and still get responsible posting.

9. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    That's actually not such a bad idea. It's not like the existing topics on sports(the ones that are official) couldn't be allowed to be kept in the JCC as well. There are plenty of movie, music, literature, and comic threads that exist in both forums. I don't see how it could hurt to allow sports in Ampitheatre. As it's basically an entertainment forum to begin with.

10. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Oy. Sports to the amphitheatre doesn't sound like such a great idea to me.

11. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

Jul 4, 2004
    Yeah I want a sports forum but I think if we merged sports with Ampitheather it would not have a good result.

Interested in a sports forum for the JCC, PM me for details

12. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I would not want a football (soccer :rolleyes:) in both a sports forum and in the JCC. It's doing okay with just one thread. Two is unecessary, and I don't want a football thread stuck in a sports forum backwater.

No. No. No.

13. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    A sports forum would never work. One thread for each sport works fine in the JCC

Why do you guys want so many forums? This isn't the Maxim website, or IGN's forums for "Everything under the sun".

14. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    It's easy to say it would never work, without giving it a try.

15. Major_Sarcasm

Major_Sarcasm Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2003
    Exactly. What's the worst that could happen? It not working? I don't see why "trying" it out on a trial basis is a hard thing to make happen. If it doesn't end up working then you can shut it down [after say 30 days] and when someone brings up the idea again you can say "nope, tried it, didn't work" and be done with it. You know, kinda like if someone asked for another president of the JC election? :p

16. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I think each Forum serves it's own purpose and it should remain that way. The Amphitheatre handles more of the serious topics that the JCC isn't known for. It should remain that organized.

17. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Not everything should be tried just to see how it works. The JCC simply can't afford to lose sports discussion, and it won't.

18. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Nothing here happens easily. If a sports forum were to be set up, it would have to be done with conviction, not with the idea that it might not work, and could easily be scrapped. That wouldn't be giving it a fair crack of the whip. Plus, you'd be starting a whole 'oh can't we try x,y and z, it doesn't matter if it doesn't work' trend. No, if it were to go ahead, (which it shouldn't), it should be done with the intention of keeping it.

Plus plus, it would be lousy.

EDIT: To KW you listen.

19. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

Jul 4, 2004
    quote=KnightWriter]Not everything should be tried just to see how it works. The JCC simply can't afford to lose sports discussion, and it won't. [/quote]

Why can't it, your only losing a handful of threads and there can be crossovers like there are in Amp. and Senate.

Interested in a sports forum for the JCC, PM me for details

20. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Why can't it, your only losing a handful of threads and there can be crossovers like there are in Amp. and Senate.

Because sports discussion is an integral part of the JCC and has been for a long time. It's not enough for a forum by itself, and if it were, I think it would have happened years ago. No new major sports have been added in the past five years (and one could argue that there is one less major sport, thanks to the NHL's attempted self-destruction), and there's nothing to make me believe that even though a sports forum has never been added before, one should be created now.

21. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Personally, I would love a Sports Forum. Now, having said that here is the problem with a Sports Forum and the Amphitheatre.

I don't think there are enough sports topics to constitute a new Forum. Furthermore, this is just the opposite for the Amphitheatre. If you merge the JCC and Amph. together you might get too many topics in one Forum.

I think it is balanced right now and that's how it should stay.

22. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I personally think that the two forums should remain separate. I'm not a "regular" in either one but from everything I've seen it would be chaos to merge them together. The sheer volume of YJCC would eclipse just about any of the other forums here IMHO.

Also just a quick note - as previously stated the suggestion for a sports forum has come up many times in past topics. Here's one from the end of 2004. I imagine that the response will be the same for this one as well. :)

Hope that helps!

23. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    Yeah, it's not like there's enough sports topics out there for sports to have its own channel or anything. I mean, if there were I could see where these sports guys were getting at. But until there's at least 1 channel devoted completely to sports, I don't see how this could ever work. [face_plain]

24. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    However, since all of the sports topics are located in their respected Official Threads, we don't have an overload of topics. The Official Threads seem to be all we need to handle the sports discussions in the JC.

25. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    no they don't seem to be all we need. Individual topics that could have their own threads can't be opened right now, because all sports discussion MUST go into the official threads. Sports is such a huge topic that having just one thread for each sport out there isn't enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.