main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Merlin] Conversations with a Sorceress - 8/8/09 - complete!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by dianethx, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Title: Conversations with a sorceress
    Characters: Nimueh, Hunith, Merlin, eventually Arthur
    Rating: G
    Genre: AU
    Summary: Nimueh has an agenda and it will take all her persuasive powers to make them a reality.
    Notes: for a challenge in which Nimueh (a powerful sorceress and primary villain for the first season) and Hunith (Merlin's mother) must have an argument.

Merlin?.

The evening sky was beginning to slide into dusk, the faint glow of the moon rising just over the hills and a single star dogging behind it like a devoted servant. An apt description, Nimueh thought, for Merlin and Uther's boorish fool of a son. The peasant and his Prince.

Naïve little Merlin. Using the power of the Old Religion without the slightest knowledge of what he had and what he could be. Elemental, powerful, raw and yet all he could do was hide his true self from Uther's cruel vengeance and use his considerable talents to keep that idiot Prince of his out of trouble. What a waste.

But that was about to change.

As she walked through the village, satisfied that she was on the proper path, that her determination to bring magic back into its rightful place in the world would end in triumph, she let herself enjoy the quiet of falling night.

It wasn't often that she could relax and just feel the music of earth and sky. Here, trees whispering in the wind and the soft grunts of pigs hunting for scraps were the only sounds: no harsh jangle of armor and steel, no pleas for a mercy that would never come, no crackle of cooking meat, no screams of agony while Uther watched her friends burn alive.

Instead there was the whispered scent of herbs on the wind and the sharp smell of pig offal. Nimueh smiled at the earthy reminder. Peasants indeed but she couldn't really fault them for it. At least here, the people were honest.

She could see how a boy without magic might easily live his life among these simple folk, ignorant of the greater world but happy enough to remain.

But a child of magic would be all but wasted here. Of course, Merlin was wasted in Camelot, too, but soon he would be a part of something grander, something to shake the world to its core.

Soon enough.

Her destination was a small stone house near the edge of Ealdor. Simple linens hung out to dry; there was a smattering of greenery in front and a thin line of smoke above the house that spoke of activity within. Merlin's home and the place where his true destiny was about to begin.

Nimueh gathered her velvet cloak in tight and raised a hand to knock on the rough-hewn door.

Someone inside must have heard her coming. The door opened abruptly and a worn, tired-looking older woman peered out. Homespun kirtle, a kerchief wrapped around her head, a smear of dirt on her cheek, she seemed curiously unafraid of the stranger at her door.

Poor fool. How little she knew of the world and her place in it.

The woman straightened, brushed at her face with reddened hands, and then as she looked at Nimueh, took in her fine clothes and regal bearing, she said quickly, "My lady? I? do you need help? Are you lost?"

Nimueh shook her head, smiled her most disarming smile. "No, although I thank you for your concern. You are Hunith, are you not? Merlin's mother?"

Blinking back surprise, Hunith stuttered, "Yes? I? do you know Merlin?" She leaned out further into the evening gloom, glancing around at the dirt tracks and pig sties and the poverty, obviously looking for someone, and said eagerly, "Is he here?"

Nimueh's smile grew wider, more gracious, as if she were a lady about to bestow a precious treasure on someone who had no idea of the price. This would be easier than she thought. "May I talk with you, Hunith? I have news of him, recent news. For your ears alone."

"Of course, my lady. Come in." Hunith stepped back, and ushered her in with a wave of her hand. "I haven't heard from Merlin in some time. News would be most welcome."

The inside of the hovel was large, surprisingly so but the rest was poo

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Very nice!! I feel so bad for Merlin's mother.

3. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Thanks so much. I feel bad for her, too, but unfortunately, she's the way to get to Merlin, her more than anyone else. There will be more. I just have to write it. :D

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweet!! Write fast :D

5. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Poor Merlin, poor Hunith, I'm worried about what Nimueh has in store for them. [face_worried]

Great story so far! =D= =D=

6. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    [face_worried] How will this end? [face_worried]

Great work! =D= =D=

7. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    NYCitygurl - Thanks. I never write fast. I'm the slowest writer ever unfortunately. But there's more coming.

LilyHobbitJedi - Yes, poor Merlin and Hunith. Glad you liked it.

JEDIGUNSHIP - you'll have to be patient but there's more coming up!

Merlin showed up a few days later. He must have been hell-bent on worry, must have ridden fast and furious to arrive so quickly.

Nimueh had almost expected an entourage of nobility, of a Princely oaf and his boot-licker cronies. It had been within the realm of possibility that Merlin would have told his royal master the truth about his gifts - not likely but still it had been something she had had to consider.

But Merlin was alone. Obviously, he had told no one of his plight. Fear had driven him into her grasp and that made it all the easier.

Watching from the house, she let him fall into his mother's arms first, let them talk, she assumed, about options and safety and all the other things she would have questioned with her own family, were they still alive and in need of her protection.

She could see Hunith gesturing, shaking her head and trying not to glance in her direction. But Merlin soon shook her off and started walking, striding toward the hut, his mother trailing behind.

As the door closed behind them, even as he made sure his mother was out of reach, he was already snarling his fury at her. "You threatened my mother. So I'm here." Eyes flashing blue fire, he said sharply, "Going to have another go at trying to kill me? Poisoning wasn't enough?"

Nimueh ignored the sudden intake of startled breath and the way the woman was wringing her hands. Obviously, he hadn't told Hunith about the attempts on his life. More secrets to keep; the boy was full of surprises.

"I did not threaten your mother, Merlin."

Satisfaction and the merest hint of malice in her eyes, she smiled toward Hunith. She knew it would goad him into mistakes. The boy was so protective, so very inexperienced. He had no idea of the horrors Nimueh had borne during the Great Purge, of her unwavering resolve to destroy Uther and his kind or, more importantly, of her ruthlessness in using Merlin to achieve that end. He had no idea.

Or perhaps he did. Despite her reassurance, the boy moved to block her, to keep himself between Nimueh and his mother. As if his body were a barrier that she could not breach. She tried not to smile.

"Whatever you want, you will leave her alone," he snarled back.

With a careless shrug, ignoring the woman, she stared straight at Merlin. "Hunith was but a means to an end. Nothing more."

"Don't even speak her name. She's worth a thousand of you." Ah, the impetuousness of youth. He had not yet learned to control his temper and his voice was thick with anger. "You will leave her alone."

"Of course." She was growing weary of his foolishness. If he were not so talented, she might have thought again about using this child. But the magic writhing under his skin called to her. His power was too formidable to ignore. "Come. We must talk."

His anger went scowling across his face, gathering battle strength. She watched him struggle with decisions, weighing the possibilities. For a single breathless moment, she thought he might be idiotic enough to attack her, the brave young fool. But then his shoulders slumped, signalling defeat.

Still keeping his mother hidden behind him, his gaze steady on Nimueh, he whispered, low and fierce, "Mother, stay here. You'll be safe enough and when?" There was contempt hard in his eyes. "when this lady and I are done, I'll come back for you."

Hunith started to protest, tried to come around to face him, "No, Merlin, I?."

But the boy flung out his hand and stopped the woman, pushing her back. "Mother, please. It's too dangerous." Nimueh could see how much effort it took him to keep the fear out of his voice, to sound strong enough for them both. "Please, she might try to hurt you to get to me."

With that, the older woman stilled. Nimueh could see the terror in her eyes, could see the urge to protect her son at a

8. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Joy flashed across the pale skin and expressive eyes, Merlin's grin widening as he looked off into the distance toward the prince. In a way, it was rather endearing that the boy could feel such friendship for an oafish boor like Arthur Pendragon but it would make no difference in the end. No matter how much Merlin might fight his fate, Nimueh would be the victor.

However, she thought that the timing could have been better. After all, things could become complicated if Pendragon decided to intervene.

"Ah, your destiny approaches." Merlin scowled in her direction, was about to reply when she said, "I would have thought you'd have kept this meeting a secret. Do you trust him so much?"

"I trust him with my life."

She had never met anyone who could wear their heart on their sleeve with such intensity before. She'd have to train it out of him, of course; emotion without restraint could be destructive and she'd learned the hard way just how gutting the loss of control could be. If she had kept a cooler head in those first few days after Uther went grief-mad, she might have been able to save more of her kin. But it had all been too late, too late and now all she had left was ash and memories. And revenge.

But she had to admire Merlin's doggedness. Blue eyes flashing, the flush of guilt on his face, he managed to look both furious and incredibly worried, and yet beneath it all, there ran an undercurrent of quiet pride.

The bond between Merlin and Arthur - she could see it was a deep and abiding one. She could use it, exploit it if she had to.

"You trust him with your life." She repeated flatly, then stepped closer, lowering her voice into threat. "But not with the knowledge of your gifts."

Merlin may have been a simple farmer but months at the court must have taught him a few things about the subtlety of coercion. He looked back toward the prince, then turned toward her again. Hands curling and uncurling at his side, face openly distraught, he stumbled over his words, almost pleading with her, "You? you won't tell him?."

"No, I won't." Nimueh smiled, saying lightly, "Because you are going to send him away." He looked as if he were going to object. But just in case he was foolish enough to think he had any choice in the matter, she made it crystal clear. "Before he gets? hurt."

His reaction was instantaneous. "I won't let you."

Arching one eyebrow, Nimueh said nothing for a moment, instead glanced back down into the valley, toward Hunith's hut. Prince Arthur was standing there, talking to Merlin's mother, looking around as if he were trying to see past her, hunting for Merlin. The woman kept shaking her head as the man grew more and more agitated. An argument, it would seem. Nimueh had to wonder who would prevail, the oafish prince or Hunith protecting her child.

When she looked back at Merlin, he was hungrily watching the tableau of mother and prince; longing and fear and utter determination were writ large on the warlock's face.

"If you cooperate, the prince will be unharmed but if you don't?." Merlin's gaze shifted back to her, his eyes flat with hatred but it only solidified her resolve. Nodding toward the prince, keeping her gaze steadily focused on Merlin , she said matter-of-factly, "Uther Pendragon killed my family. I have no qualms with returning the favor."

"I will stop you."

"You will try." Nimueh fought to keep the laughter out of her voice. He was such a child, posturing as if he thought he could best her when he had no idea of depth and breadth of her abilities. A few successes against minor warlocks and magical creatures and he thought to threaten her. Foolish boy. "You may have raw talent but I have knowledge and the power to use it."

She could see movement in the valley below. Apparently, Arthur had discovered their whereabouts and was steadfastly coming up the hill, sword in hand. He looked grim, determined, utterly unlike the boor she'd seen in past encounters and more like a shining prince about to attempt a rescue of his friends. It was almost a refreshing change ? almost.

I

9. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Of course, Arthur couldn't let the insult pass. It was almost comical to watch the oaf protesting, his voice full of bluster, his face indignant, looking as if she'd questioned his honour ? which perhaps she had. "That's?."

Then he must have realized who she was. In an instant, he changed from being a slightly ridiculous fool to a golden-haired warrior, growing taller, straighter, every inch a future king. She could see the influences of Uther in him and the endless training, the growing power, the potential for greatness beyond his father's own prowess. All protection and blazing fury, with one hand, he reached out and shoved Merlin behind him; in the other, his sword was pointed straight at her heart. "You!"

"Still alive, I see." Nodding, Nimueh looked him over slowly, haughty distaste in her reply. "Pity."

Merlin was fighting to get past him - clumsily she might add, and Arthur kept pushing him back. It was clear that the prince was getting more frustrated by the moment. He was obviously trying to protect him but Merlin wasn't having any of it.

Finally, the prince gave a fierce shove, and as Merlin slipped a little on the wet grass and finally regained his footing only after a moment's struggle, Arthur snapped, "You idiot! Stay behind me. She's a sorceress. She's the one that left me to die in the caves."

There was a frantic desperation in the way he berated Merlin, protective, fierce, and there was terror lurking under it for all his bluster. She could see that Merlin meant more to him than she'd ever realized, certainly more than was apparent the few times she'd been to Camelot. Arthur had hidden it well from the gossips of the court.

And from the way Merlin was reacting, he'd hidden it too well. The boy was standing there, mouth half-open, blinking in surprise. Then shaking his head, breathless and clearly unhappy, he whispered, "Arthur, you have to leave before it's too late."

Tilting her head, she watched them both. So protective, so concerned about the other. A friendship like that was rare, especially among royals. No wonder Arthur had come after Merlin, was willing to face danger to keep his servant from harm. It could make things difficult unless, of course, she used their bond to her own advantage.

"Merlin, why don't you tell him why I'm here?" It was a soft invitation to share confidences, said matter-of-factly, as if they were friends sharing tea and memories.

The warlock was having none of it. "You promised! You promised not to hurt him."

"And as we can all see, I haven't as yet." She lifted her hands in mock protest, whispered, breathed, "Fýrgnást." Her fingertips fluttered in the breeze, leaving a line of crimson sparks that faded quickly.

"Enough of your tricks!" Arthur was still watching Nimueh, eyes full of loathing, his body alert and battle ready, the sword steady in his hand. "Merlin, what is she talking about? What promise?"

"Arthur, just go. She said she'll leave you alone if I agree to go with her." Looking at the prince for a moment and then turning away as if ashamed, Merlin began to shrink inward, hunching down into misery.

"And you said yes?" The prince was livid. The blade wavered as his gaze flicked to the warlock, before snapping back to Nimueh. A trained warrior, Arthur wasn't fool enough to ignore her or the threat she posed but his fury was almost tangible.

Merlin flinched, blinking at the anger in the prince's voice. "I had to. She promised?."

"Are you completely mental? You can't believe anything a sorcerer says." It would seem that Arthur had learned his father's lessons well. Not waiting for a reply, he stepped forward, his voice thickened with decision. "I'll take care of this."

"Your threats are nothing to me, Pendragon." Such a young fool; he had no idea of her power. "Really, Merlin, you chose him over what I had to offer?"

Sending another scurry of sparks into the air, she let them whirl and dance on the breeze before flying over the prince's head and then disappearing. She could see the effort Arthur made, to stay focused on her rath

10. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh this was great! Totally loved it! [face_dancing] More please? [face_batting] Oh wait.. it had 'the end' didn't it? :(

Gotta feel for Merlin there :( leaving for all the sad reasons, but he did realize that Arthur might not come to his senses, or perhaps later on he can try to work with him. But what's sadder is that he is unaware of the gals in his life (Morgana and Gwen) are attempting to search for him. Wonder if they'll find him?? Girl, girl you got me wanting more :p [face_laugh]

Loved Nimueh, evil with a cause ;) or is that a goal? hehehe She twisted things and got it juz the way she wanted it: Merlin leaving with her. Might not have been quite the way she planned it, but ultimately the poor guy left :(

Well done! =D=

11. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Kyn- thanks so much for reading. I really appreciate it. Yes, I know it says the end but I'm writing a sequel even as we speak. :D

I do feel for Merlin. Arthur was being an idiot but he did get lied to by Merlin and really manipulated by Nimueh. In this story, Merlin doesn't know yet that Morgana and Gwen have left Camelot and are on their way to the Druids (not where he's going) but I;m sure they'll find him eventually.

I love Nimueh as a character. She's awesome. She twisted everything and got what she thought she wanted. Whether it actually worked out that way, remains to be seen!

Thanks! [:D]

12. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    That's pretty tragic for poor Merlin! Even more tragic is that Arthur isn't really that dumb (almost maybe) but he's his father's son and poisoned by his prejudice. Merlin doesn't really feel a connection to his destiny, but Arthur is the part of it that he does care about, I guess.

This definitely does not feel like the end. Uh, Gaius to the rescue? I have to admit that Nimueh is not really my favorite character. Where's a bolt of lightning when you need one? ;)

13. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    It is pretty horrible for poor Merlin. Arthur reacted with his anger, not his head but he's been a bit brainwashed.

I'm currently working on the sequel. No, no rescue by Gauis. Nimueh is a great villain, though. I really liked getting into her head and making her a sympathetic and yet still evil character. Thanks for reading!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.