main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Merlin] Draca Alysan!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by dianethx, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Title: Draca Alysan!
    Characters: Dragon, Merlin, Hunith
    Summary: Merlin's mother, Hunith, has gone missing. Merlin's only hope is to talk to the Dragon, the beast he'd sworn never to see again.
    Spoilers: up to Episode 13 of the tv series Merlin.
    Warnings: AU, future fic (barely after Episode 13)
    Rating: G
    Note: I really have no clue about Old English. My apologies to those who can read it correctly.
    DISCLAIMER: I do not own the BBC version of Merlin; They and Shine do. I am very respectfully borrowing them with no intent to profit. No credits have changed hands. No copyright infringement is intended.

For three days, Merlin searched for her.

Three days of scouring through cold dungeons and high towers and stables. Three days of investigating the apartments of the nobility with Arthur's help and lowly hovels with Gwen's. Three days of underground sewers and middens and graveyards. He searched places she might have been and places she'd never go.

No one has seen his mother leave. No one had talked with her. No one knew anything. Even the magic he could command was silent.

He was frantic. She had been recovering from the illness he'd caused ? well almost caused. He'd offered his life for Arthur's and the sorceress, Nimueh, had agreed, seemed to have accepted it but then turned it around somehow and had tried to slowly drain his mother's life instead. And if it hadn't been for Gaius, she'd have been lost to him forever.

When he'd returned from the Isle of the Blessed and found her alive and almost well, Merlin had been upset and thankful and so very concerned that he'd hovered over his mother too much, staring at her, holding onto her, following her every footstep, protecting her until it must have driven her mad, until she'd finally told him to go to bed and let her rest.

He had, he had, and by next morning, she'd disappeared without a trace.

For three days, he'd searched and he'd found nothing.

Now he would do what he must in order to get her back, safe and sound, even if it was to beg for the help of the one being he'd sworn never to see again - never, not for all the riches in Camelot, not for all the power that the Dragon had been offering him.

But it was his mother and he'd do anything for her, even talk to the monster who had manipulated him, who had lied to him, who had used him.

And so there he was, torch in hand, looking over at the golden-eyed, golden-scaled beast, that lying, hated, cunning thing. Dread filling his throat, Merlin shouted, "Where's my mother?"

The Dragon just stared at him, smiling, letting the bitter question echo down into the depths of the cave, shards of hatred fracturing smaller and smaller until there was nothing left but silence.

Then haughty laughter as it said matter-of-factly, "Ah, little warlock. Back so soon?"

In that moment, he'd have throttled that damnable serpent if he'd had hands big enough to wrap around its throat. Instead, Merlin said again more slowly, "Where is my mother?"

"Where you'll never find her." It shrugged its wings and smiled, showing dagger-sharp teeth and smug certainty. "Without my help."

"You have her." It was pathetically obvious now that he thought about it. Merlin had been hearing the voice of the Dragon all along - asleep, awake, searching, despairing ? calling to him, haunting him.

Of course, he had ignored it. How could he not after he found out how the Dragon had used him to further its own ends? But it would appear that ignoring the beast hadn't been enough. He wanted something, something only Merlin could give it, and it had kidnapped his mother to force him into compliance. "If you've hurt her, I'll kill you myself."

"Hummm," The Dragon thought about it and then its smile grew wider. "You could try."

"Where is my mother?" Merlin demanded again, ignoring the taunt. He meant business, now and always, and he refused to play that slimy serpent's game.

Another chuckle as claws, pointing every

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I really like this!! I'm glad Merlin freed the dragon and that he's going to confront Uther about his magic. Go Merlin!!

3. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Thanks so much! I think Merlin would be in big trouble if he ever let the Dragon go, especially if Uther were still alive. Glad you enjoying the tv series. I think once it comes to the States it will be popular. I know there is a growing fandom in the States since most people can find the episodes on youtube. [face_dancing]

4. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Oooh, this was great. :)

I completely adore the show so I was really happy to see this fic.
    Although I understand that Merlin wanted to save his Mom, releasing the Dragon wasn't a smart idea, I think.
    There would definately be hell to pay.

Uther would have Merlin's head! Even Arthur, since he's still influenced by Uther's anti-magic progaganda.

But wonderful fic.
    And even though the Dragon's mean -- I really like him. :p

5. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Ceillean - I'm thoroughly hooked on Merlin, enough that I've pretty much stopped writing SW fanfic for Merlin fanfic. I just adore the characters, especially Merlin, and can't wait for the next season! I watch the DVDs at least 3 times a week.

LOL on releasing the Dragon not being a good idea. Nope, not at all. Merlin would have a big mess on his hands even if Uther didn't find out. And Arthur would be livid, to say the least. Thanks so much for commenting!

6. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Ooh - I've never been to this forum before. :) I'll be back later with a review.

7. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Am back.

The Dragon just stared at him, smiling, letting the bitter question echo down into the depths of the cave, shards of hatred fracturing smaller and smaller until there was nothing left but silence.
    That was great imagery. :)

Merlin felt as if the weight of untold futures hung in the balance, felt as if he were trapped in the possibilities. He was standing beneath the rock on which Camelot stood and a single word could bring it tumbling down. "I can't?" he whispered, half-mad with desperation, "I can't."
    Oh boy - that was awesome. You sure know how to capture a moment in words.

So in a sense Merlin has opened Pandora's box!!! What a terrible choice to have to make. But I guess that is part of the hero's journey.

Beautifully written, as always. :)

I did study Old English, but it was quite a few years ago, so I've forgotten it. :D We used Sweet's Anglo-Saxon Reader. It was fun and I really enjoyed it. Our lecturer used to read from it and he always made it sound so awesome. :)

Good news. They've just started advertising Merlin on the telly here, and apparently it's starting soon. I'll make an effort to watch it if it's on at a time that suits me. Hopefully it will be. :)

8. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Thanks so much, Tahi! I do plan on continuing this eventually but I have other stories to work on first. I'm glad it worked for you even though you haven't seen the series yet.

As for the Old English, I did try.... :p

9. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Well, I'm kind of familiar with the legend of Arthur, so even without seeing the series there's enough context in the old brain to appreciate your story. :) As well as Old English, I also did some Middle English Literature papers, so read Thomas Malory's Morte D'Arthur amongst other works. Loved that era a lot actually, especially Chaucer. :) And Arthurian legend is really fascinating.

10. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Tahi - I'm really glad that you didn't need to see the series to get the story. [face_blush] When you do get to see the series, just remember that it's not really supposed to be an accurate depiction - because it really, really is not.

11. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    huh. how about that. I just finished watching all 13 episodes of merlin this wkend (am in love and totally hooked) and come to the boards after yonks to find this gem :D methinks 'twas my destiny!

I loved the characterisation- the dragon is absolutely perfect! Thanks muchly for this!

12. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Feel the Merlin love! I just adore the series and there are so many great Merlin fics. I can't get enough.

I'm glad you enjoyed this. I know it was a lot of fun to write. Thanks. :D

13. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Fantastic story! =D= =D= I could totally see this scene happening in the show.

14. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Thanks so much. Sorry I didn't reply but I was away on vacation. Glad you liked it. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.