main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Merlin] Miscommunication

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by dianethx, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Title: Miscommunication
    Warnings: none other than spoilers for first season; takes place very early in the season. A bit fluffy, sort of.
    Characters: Merlin, Arthur, Gwen
    Rating: G
    Wordcount: 13 x 100
    Summary: Will Arthur and Merlin ever be friends? A series of drabbles with shifting POVs
    Disclaimer: I do not own the BBC version of Merlin; They and Shine do. I am very respectfully borrowing them with no intent to profit. No credits have changed hands. No copyright infringement is intended.
    Notes: I'm not British so sorry about the mess. I did try and look up British slang. Really! Unbetaed as always so all mistakes are mine. I've been experimenting with POVs.

Prat ? Merlin's POV

"Prat...," Merlin muttered darkly.

Ever since he'd been assigned Arthur's bloody manservant, Prince Prat had been ordering him around, piling on chore after filthy chore, never giving him a moment's rest.

Gwen was right. Prince or no, Arthur was a demanding, arrogant bully and a right horse's arse.

Now, the unfeeling git had shoved him. On purpose. Unbalanced, Merlin has slipped hard into a disgusting puddle of horse piss and rubbish.

Merlin waited for insults but Arthur wasn't even looking at him, just staring at the rider-less horse that had nearly run them down. Then turning, Arthur snapped, "You idiot!"

Pathetic ? Arthur's POV

Merlin looked so pathetic lying there. The half-wit had been his typical clumsy self. The rough clatter of hoof-beats should have clued his manservant into the threat of a runaway horse. Any knight worth his salt would have known. But instead of stepping aside, he'd kept chattering on about whatever nonsense country boys talk of, walking straight into danger.

Arthur shoved him out of the way, of course. But the fool tripped over his own feet and ended up, smelly and affronted, in a puddle of piss.

It should have been funny but Merlin could have gotten himself killed. Idiot!

Could it be? ? Merlin's POV

Arthur was scowling down at him, looking furious. "Are you completely mental?"

Merlin didn't say anything. Once, he'd thought they might have become friends but now he realized he'd just been a fool.

So he waited for Arthur's scowls to turn into laughter, into insults, waited for the prat to bring his friends around. Make fun of the poor country bumpkin sitting in horse piss. A good long laugh at Merlin's expense.

Instead, Arthur squatted down, started to reach for him, looking him over as if checking for injuries, as if he really cared.

It has to be a trick.

Keeping up appearances ? Arthur's POV

When Merlin didn't say anything, Arthur thought that maybe he'd shoved him too hard and cracked his skull on the cobblestones. The boy had a hard head but even simpletons could be hurt.

He started to reach for him, checking for injuries when Merlin jerked back. "I'm fine."

"Can you stand?" Arthur couldn't keep the concern out of his voice. Merlin was a fool but he was beginning to think of him as more than just a servant. Of course, he couldn't let Merlin know that.

Realizing there was a crowd gathering, Arthur stood, crossed his arms, frowned exasperation.

"Idiot."

Never friends ? Merlins' POV

So there it was. The prat insulting him again. Why'd he ever think that Arthur might turn into someone he could respect, become friends with in time?

Guess he was an idiot after all.

Angry, Merlin scrambled to his feet, dripping filthy liquids everywhere. He wasn't hurt, not really, but for just a moment, when they had been walking down the alleyway, talking together, he'd hoped, felt a connection between them. The Dragon said they were two sides of the same coin but now Merlin realized the Dragon was just mental.

Arthur and him as friends? Never going to happen.

Almost friends ? Arthur's POV

Where did the idiot think he was going? Arthur wanted to catch up with his obviousl

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Aww!!! I love this. You captured Arthr and Merlin really weel. I'm glad they're getting along at the end - I love when they do that :D

3. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Thanks so much, NYCitygurl, I'm glad it came across well and that you liked it! [face_blush]

4. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Drabbles! I love your drabbles.

Prince or no, Arthur was a demanding, arrogant bully and a right horse's arse.
    :D Oh - brilliant.

Merlin was a fool but he was beginning to think of him as more than just a servant. Of course, he couldn't let Merlin know that.
    Of course not! Stiff upper lip and all that. ;)

But he couldn't scramble after him. The Prince of Camelot trailing a disobedient, stupid, mouthy buffoon? Never!

So instead, he stood there, frowning thunderbolts, muttering under his breath, looking suitably Royal, watching an almost-friend walk away.

Damn.

Ha - I almost feel sorry for Arthur. He's as trapped by propriety and rules as Merlin.

Arthur began to laugh, choking out, "You're my idiot. Don't you forget it."

"Never!"

Grinning, at that moment, Merlin knew. The Dragon was right. Their destinies, their futures were entwined. And that was how it should be.

Two sides of the same coin.

Yay! Brothers under the skin.

The progression you showed in their relationship through the drabbles was great. Typical male behaviour, too, which made me laugh. Both Arthur and Merlin come over as very human. :)

5. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Thanks again, Tahi! I did want to show the progression but even more I wanted to show that the same event can mean different things and that Merlin and Arthur would react differently enough to make things worse. Boys will be boys! Good thing they had Gwen around to explain. Glad you liked it. :D

6. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Awww!! This was fantastic! I love everything about it.

Wonderful job!

=D==D=

7. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Thanks, Ceillean. So glad you liked it. :D

8. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    This is fantastic! I loved the Merlin and Arthur dynamics- its true to the series but gives all the niggly inside details you know are there but want to see happen- and it did! thanks to you!

The shifting perspectives added a lovely layer that went really well and the dialogue- perfect!

9. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I'm glad you liked it. I wanted to show them early in their relationship and I'm just happy it worked! Thanks. :D

10. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Having only seen one episode, in which Arthur and Merlin foil Nimueh magical plague on the town, I was pleased to remember that you said you had found a new 'love' in 'Merlin'.

I thought this drabble series was fantastic. It displayed very well the back and forth banter that exists between Arthur and Merlin as well as the obvious gulf in status between the two.

I think the best word to describe this fic is whimsical. I had great fun reading it.

Bravo, Dianethx!

11. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    These are all fantastic, and I totally loved this look into the Arthur/Merlin friendship. I especially liked:

That did it. Arthur began to laugh, choking out, "You're my idiot. Don't you forget it."

"Never!"

Grinning, at that moment, Merlin knew. The Dragon was right. Their destinies, their futures were entwined. And that was how it should be.

Two sides of the same coin.

Great job! =D= =D=

12. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    brodiew - I'm glad that the banter came across. I really love that part of the series. They are quite amusing to watch and I do adore the series. Thanks for reading. :D

LilyHobbitJedi - Thanks. Just happy that it worked for you. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.