main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Merlin] My Friend- Arthur/Merlin future- Drama/Song-Fic

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by LilyHobbitJedi, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Title: My Friend
    Author: LilyHobbitJedi
    Timeframe: In the future when Merlin and Arthur are both old men.
    Characters: Arthur, Merlin
    Genre: Drama/Song-Fic
    Summary: As King Arthur lies on his deathbed, Merlin can't help but reflect on the friendship that changed the course of his life.
    Notes: I?ve used this song before, but today a Merlin plot bunny hit and I couldn?t resist it. I just couldn't help but wonder about the very end of the story and this is my take on that.I hope you guys enjoy this!

Disclaimer: The song is Goodbye by the band Audio Adrenaline. I don?t own it nor the show Merlin which is owned by BBC.

My Friend

You'll be fine tomorrow
    The sun will rise again
    It's never easy to say goodbye
    You know I'll always love you
    You know I always will

It was nearing the end and not magic nor medicine would alter the course nature set for him. Within the matter of a couple of hours Arthur Pendragon, King of Camelot would surrender to death?s sweet whisper, and he would cease to exist but in the memories of those who knew him.

And nobody knew Arthur as well as Merlin did, after all they?d been best friends for well over fifty years. It was funny for Merlin to recall that first meeting so many years ago when the first thing he did was alienate the then Prince, and then call him names. It seems that Gaius was correct after all, Merlin couldn?t believe how much of an idiot he really was in those early days. It was by pure luck and perhaps a bit of fate that Merlin ended up saving Arthur?s life soon after and the two were well on the way to becoming fast friends.

Sure it hadn?t been a simple thing because Arthur?s status as a Prince and his sometimes arrogant manner was completely opposite of Merlin?s down to earth manner. But from the moment Uther made Merlin Arthur?s manservant, they were on the path to fulfilling their destinies. The Great Dragon was right when it said that they were two sides of the same coin, because no matter the circumstances over the years their friendship never shattered.

Still as Merlin looked on his dying friend, it was hard not to let his emotions overcome him.

Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye
    My old friend
    Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye
    We've reached the end

One particular day that Merlin would never forget was the day when Arthur finally discovered his secret. The fact that he was a sorcerer was a dangerous and criminal offense in King Uther?s kingdom, and he made no exceptions. So Merlin did his best to hide his gift which he probably would?ve achieved had he not been so devoted to protecting Arthur.

When the Prince discovered the truth he was absolutely furious, and Merlin was almost positive that he was going to turn him in to the King. Arthur was clearly distressed and he didn?t speak to Merlin for several days, and when he did Arthur didn?t trust him at all. But in the end he never told Uther, and he kept the secret.

It wasn?t overnight, but in time Arthur came to trust Merlin again.

I don't cry for sorrow, I cry with joy
    The memories we've made can't be destroyed
    You know I won't forget you
    You know I never could
    And when I say I loved you
    You know I meant for good

Another day that stuck out in Merlin?s long memories was the day that Arthur ascended to the throne of Camelot. Uther had been a good King in his own way despite some of his more tyrannical laws, but Arthur was a different breed from his father. Everyone expected so much of him while others doubted the young man would be a suitable King. But Merlin knew what they did not, Arthur was more than ready to take on the title.

It wasn?t long after King Arthur?s coronation that things in Camelot began to change. Everyone had been expecting that he would instantly remove Uther?s ban on all things magical, but that wasn?t quite the truth. Yes Arthur didn?t kill everyone accused of sorcery like his father did, but he also wasn?t foolish enough to not keep tabs on those who did perform magic. With several new laws regulating the use of magic, Camelot

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh, how sad and yet they lived a full life together and their friendship endured. Very satisfying!

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    So sad, but very sweet as well. Not an unhappy ending.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.