main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

message boards

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by darthtuttle, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    I downloaded phpBB, do I upload them into a flie manager when I get a new host?

2. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    OH yea, Perl. Always forget about that. And then lets not forget Ruby :p

You upload phpBB into a directory (preferably it's own directory) and then you point your browser to it and it will give you an install screen. Follow the directions and you're set.

¤Night

3. darthtuttle

Apr 2, 2004
    what if I don't like it's set up, and want to handtype a programming language, so I have more control

4. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Then handtype a programming language. Although that doesn't really make much sense, you're welcome to.

¤Night

5. darthtuttle

Apr 2, 2004
    How hard is learning and typing a programming language compared to XHTML.

6. Cpt_Obvious

Cpt_Obvious Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2003
    How hard is learning and typing a programming language compared to XHTML.

This is coming from a non programmer, but covering all of the security gaps that keep hackers from accessing certain info on your site is nearly impossible if writing from scratch without knowing exactly what you are doing.

If you are going to use php, you need to use version 2.1.0 or higher for security purposes. There is plenty you can do with it. Different themes, interfacing with different front pages, writing new features, all very simplistic.

Take a look at phatooine.net as there are a lot of things installed and modified by Lord Tuvitor that are really cool. That could give you some idea as to what can be done with php.

7. darthtuttle

Apr 2, 2004
    I like all the features of invision free, I know it's php, so I'll use php, I'll have to get php for dummies, or php by example
    but what do I do incase of hackers

8. Cpt_Obvious

Mar 9, 2003
    In case of hackers. Depends on. Depends on what type of attack, where on your site, and if it is severe. Usually, the isp has features in place to prevent the server from getting wiped. However, that doesn't prevent someone from exploiting a security gap inside of the programming. phpbb is working on the next generation of message boards that kills the previous security gaps. Luckily, Phatooine has one of the best webmasters in Lord Tuvitor, who has already taken care of the flaws with previous versions.

There are steps you can take, but to be honest with you, writing your own message board program and getting the look you want with it is a lengthy process that would not be for beginners not familliar with programming. Even testing for security holes then fixing them would be lengthy. Especially if you are not familliar with testing your beta.

9. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    You upload phpBB into a directory (preferably it's own directory) and then you point your browser to it and it will give you an install screen. Follow the directions and you're set.

Well you alsoneed some sort of databse, MySQl is the one usualy used forPHPBB.

If you are going to use php, you need to use version 2.1.0 or higher for security purposes.

You probably meant PHP 4.1 or 4.2. Version 2 was still called PHPFI and has long been discontinued.

How hard is learning and typing a programming language compared to XHTML

A lot. XHTML is basically a persentation format, not a programming language. You need to know the basics of programing concepts like variable scoping, looping and flow control structures, function definitions and parameter passing, I/O basics and/or database access, and for more venturous stuff some object oriented stuff. If you have no idea what the above means do not even try to program your own board.

but what do I do incase of hackers

You need to learn a lot more about programming and systems just to cover most bases. On the programming side you need to check for input variables, data validation, buffer overuns, cross site scripting (XSS) attacks, etc. There are other peripheral stuff like password use and storage, database access, etc. And if you are using your own server (if you don't have a host) you need to clamp that one as well.

10. darthtuttle

Apr 2, 2004
    any example sites I can look at using phpBB

11. Cpt_Obvious

Mar 9, 2003
    Phatooine.net uses phpbb. The way it is set up, register and take note of the default theme(you may call it a skin) and the number of forums. We have it set up so you must register to see all of the forums, and post in any of them. We also have set up different themes as some people prefer a lighter color or a darker color. Each has different contrasts and has a theme to appeal to different tastes.

There have been different "hacks" or "mods" added to give different features than on the stand alone 1.x.x phpbb. The next version which is in the alpha stage of production has a lot of the "hacks" included and different variables to allow for more personalization of the boards.

Once the alpha moves to beta testing and on to a release version, it will be a seamless integration to upgrade to the next version. Some minor variables occur, but if a site is properly tested by a competant webmaster, the themes can be transfered and only minor differences will be noted to the general user

12. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    any example sites I can look at using phpBB

Just go to the phpbb forums, lost of users have links to their boards in their signatures (they recently eliminated the self promotion forum). They also have a section demoing different styles:

PHPBB Style Demos

I myself use plain vanilla PHPBB with a ver spartan theme (personal philosophy plus many visitors come from far away and/or still are on dalup connections). I really have no complaints about it (though coming witha theme from scratch is a bit laborious).

13. Cpt_Obvious

Mar 9, 2003
    Theme from scratch is laborous if you want it to not look like golf pants. To actually change the way the theme looks like the header and links involves some coding, but can be done in a matter of minutes.

I prefer the darker themes for some reason.

14. darthtuttle

Apr 2, 2004
    Is there any good software I could use?

15. darthtuttle

Apr 2, 2004
    I've decided to use phpBB, if I wanted to modify it any time, can I?

16. Cpt_Obvious

Mar 9, 2003
    Yes. Modifications are happenning all the time at the site I frequent most (in the sig). We have a excellent webmaster in Lord Tuvitor who takes the time to test it in several areas before putting it on the actual site.

For example, one "hack" we wanted installed crashed the codebase in the area of choosing icons. He chose to wait until a later version of PHP to actually install it.

I reccommend that you do your research and find the most secure version to use that suits your board best.

17. darthtuttle

Apr 2, 2004
    reccommend that you do your research and find the most secure version to use that suits your board best.
    I can't afford a book on any programming languages, and the only place I know to get the files I need is phpBB, so I have no other options

18. darthtuttle

Apr 2, 2004
    With this newhost I have two options or message boards to install, invision board, and phpbb, which one should I choose

19. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Why no install both and tst them out to see which one you like best? That's what I did. Afterwards you van just uninstall (or ask the host) to uninstall the one you don't want.

20. darthtuttle

Apr 2, 2004
    I have one problem with my new message boards. How do I get rid of that phpBB image on the front page?

21. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Upload a different image over it, or use a different theme.

22. darthtuttle

Apr 2, 2004
    When creating a theme how do I design the top of the page to display what I want and same with the bottom?

23. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    What do you mean?

A good starting point for a new theme is to create a copy of an existing theme, and edit it as necessary.

24. darthtuttle

Apr 2, 2004
    Behold the JCC, they can get whatever picture, link, table they want to appear on every page of a forum and on the front page, above and below the posts, lit of topics, ect. I can't figure out how to do that.

25. darthtuttle

Apr 2, 2004
    How do set Avatars?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.