main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Messages to the outside World. [version 2.0]

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother Strikes Back' started by RidingMyCarousel, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrs_Kitty

Mrs_Kitty Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2002
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ratmankey :)

Congrats to Britt on winning "Who Wants To Be A Million Colors" Game :)

2. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Rachel, you'll always be the nerdiest of 'em all. ;)

3. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    Phelps...not sure why you like to dissect my posts...but that's cool...good to know that I have a "fan"... :p

Are you sure about that?

Yes. I've seen the movie countless times.

Certainly he was mixing the stories,

Yes. He was...

but I don't think there's anything to suggest that Lenny was suffering from short term memory loss PRIOR to his wife's death,

Yes and No. He didn't have short-term memory loss prior to his wife's rape and subsequent "death" by the rapist. Teddy reveals that she survived the assault. Which she did. But also, he--in actuality--DID have short-term memory loss PRIOR to her death...because he had it when she tested him...with the insulin shots. He doesn't remember his wife actually surviving the attack...because he had short-term memory loss after he was attacked.

for he claims that he retains his long term memory up to that point.

He does...up to the point where she is attacked. He looks at her before all goes black...and it apperars that she is dead. However, she was just unconcious.

Unless he's lying, and has been suffering from short term memory loss before then, but if that were the case then it think it may deconstruct some of what the movie is built upon (i.e. the memory of his wife's murder).

NO. Look at above answers.

Also, are you sure Sammy wasn't married?

Positive.

Dang. I'll have to watch the movie again.

Yep. The entire movie. More specifically...the ENDING where Teddy tells him everything.

My own impression from seeing the movie (jeez, at least 3 times) was that Sammy did suffer from short term memory loss, and that through some sort of guilt for basically calling Sammy a liar Lenny was now putting himself in Sammy's place with those little flashback type images.

Sammy didn't have short-term memory loss. He was defrauding the insurance company...and Lenny nailed him for it. However, since Lenny lies to himself to make himself happy, he was putting SAMMY in HIS position. You see, Teddy was the officer assigned to Lenny's case. He gave Lenny the complete police report/file. After reading it, Lenny had to come to grips with the fact that he was the one that killed his wife. But he couldn't do that. So he changed/removed major parts from the report (so he'd forget them) and taught himself (learning through repetition ;) ) that it was actually Sammy who had killed his "wife"....not himself who killed his own wife. Also, look at the last shot of Lenny and his wife lieing in bed at the end of the movie. Check the new tattoo that he has on his chest. ;)

Also, three viewings doesn't do this movie justice. Nor is it near enough to totally understand it...

Hope this helps. :)

4. Leonard_Shelby

May 31, 2002
    Don't flatter yourself. Fan, indeed.

Geez....

I dissected two posts, mostly because
    1) thought the Matrix thing was cool, but HAD to point out the spirit of the problem error

There wasn't an error, really. You see, I have a job...which keeps me from posting all the time. I did the first installment of a proposed three....wait...didn't I explain this to you already? ?[face_plain]

;)

2) Hey pal, you aren't the only Memento fan in the world.

Of course I am. ;)

:p

Hey--I may not be the only Memento fan in the world....but it sure seems like I'm the only one who fully understood it... ;)

5. Leonard_Shelby

May 31, 2002
    If Lenny is using repetition to allow himself to 'remember' that Sammy killed his 'wife', then there must be some allocated memory dedicated to instructing his brain to keep telling himself that, and not be subjected to the short-term loss I suppose.

Yep. The Sammy case. ;)

Did you conclude this, or was it in the commentary?

I concluded that by watching the movie. Lenny states that when he's telling his "Sammy Jankis" story on the telephone to Teddy. (the black and white scenes in the hotel room)

And what are you implying? That I get all of my knowledge of the movie from the A.C.? I've only listened to it once... ;) :p

6. Mrs_Kitty

May 23, 2002
    Welcome to the BYS COS :)

7. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    I missed Katya. Someone tell her I said HI!

Hi Rebel! :D

//waves

8. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Hi James! :D

9. Leonard_Shelby

May 31, 2002
    Yes, yes...welcome to the BYS, COS! :D

ALL HAIL BLUE YODA!!!

10. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Oh, really? You've been conspicuously absent from ABC, even before being locked up, I'd say.

When you get evicted you better get your Georgia Peaches back to the original game or there will be hell to pay...or at least a late fee.

:eek: Yes sir! I will definitley be back in the ABC thread upon my return to the YJCC. :D

Hey James! :) *waves*

11. Leonard_Shelby

May 31, 2002
    James.

//nods head//

;)

12. Mrs_Kitty

May 23, 2002
    Hi James :)

13. wstraka5

wstraka5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2002
    I guess no one misses me :(

14. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    So we're into negative life, then? Damn.

Bummer.

---[KATE, GET ANOTHER ONE OF THEM DAY PASS DEALIES SO YOU CAN POST WITH US AGAIN. AND GET ONE FOR KAS AND B'OMARR, TOO. AMAZING.]-

Well, I've only got like 20 points left so by the time I get back up to 100, I'll probably be evicted. Or win the game. ;) :p I miss you too, B. :D

15. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Hey! That cuts me deep, B.

16. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
  17. Leonard_Shelby

May 31, 2002
    "Looking at the teasers for FOTR and TTT, I can't help but feel that this one is quite underwhelming. Not that a poster really matters, though." - Pooja

:eek:

What the heck are you talkin' about? The poster rocks! The movie is The Return of the King...and the teaser features Aragorn (the King) holding Narsil (the re-forged Sword of Kings). Doesn't get much cooler than that, IMO... ;)

[image=http://img-nex.theonering.net/images/scrapbook/6956.jpg] = :cool:

18. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Thanks B, we miss you too. :D

19. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Happy Anniversary Sat!

20. Mrs_Kitty

May 23, 2002