\\--Metal Gear Solid Fanfilm Released- this time on VERY reliable server--//

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by wixmmm, Jun 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. wixmmm Jedi Master

star 4
    Alright everyone, last time I released this, only one person managed to download it.... it was crazy, so I had that topic locked. Since then I have gotten many emails and PMs of requests to see the movie, I assure you all that I have been working very hard to make sure this time when this movie is released it will be done right. I think this time it has been.

I am in Wisconsin for the summer, this movie was filmed where I live (Mexico) and I just got DSL up here so I was able to upload it. This time the host is EXTREMELY reliable-- The Gamespy Network, god bless em. PlanetPS2 and MetalGear.net said they would host me, which means the file gets to go on Fileplanet's high bandwidth servers. There is one downfall-- only 700 people can download at any given moment. It tells you how many people are downloading, if there are less than 700 then you can get it no problems, if there are more, it will tell you how long the wait time will be until you can get it. It's way better than how I had it before. Anyways, every time i have checked there have been over 200 slots free.

So you can get the movie at:
    http://www.planetps2.com/metalgear/fanfilm

It is available in two versions, both quicktime sorenson3. Information about the plot and stuff can be found on that site.

I want to thank these people for there help with finding ways to get the movie to people:
    Annonymous Jedi
    DaftMaul
    Exfilms- BIG thanks
    Macho
    And if I forgot anyone, you know who you are.

Thanks everyone, and I hope you enjoy the movie... I am looking for ANY type of comments you have about it, good or bad, ANYTHING is appreciated.

Cya
    Mike
    Director of Metal Gear Solid 3

I'm also going to post my previous announcement of the movie right here incase it says something I didn't here.

First off, this is the first film we are releasing to you, but it isnt our first, we are very happy with the outcome, and at the Monterrey film festival we got very good reviews from the critics and average viewers alike.

There are some things you probably will have to overlook (the main one being that Solid Snake is a senior in high school, and always seems to be chewing gum... well, in some shots yes, and in others no... dont tell me you havent heard of the disappearing gum trick that only seasoned veteran actors possess???)

But we think that you will enjoy the movie. We really hope that everyone will watch it and enjoy it like we enjoyed making it. Please take the time to post a review here, anything you thought, good or bad, will be very much appreciated.

EDIT: Thanks guys, problem fixed... the links now go to their respective files.

and no, you do NOT need to register, just go down to the two public servers.

And yes, in order to get it WITHOUT registering, scroll down to the PUBLIC SERVERS. If you try the top ones it will tell you you need to register.
  2. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    finally!...as you know(wix)i've really wanted to see this! i think the link on your website is backwards though...when you click medium quality its low and low its high
  3. Darth_Redicolous Jedi Master

star 3
    The link that says version 1 goes to version 2 and vice versa. Thought you wanted to know... And do I have to subscribe? That's boring.

So I haven't d/l it yet...

Ok. Macho beat me to it...
  4. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    no you don't scroll down the download page
  5. JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Master

star 4
    Ah I really wanted to see this one. Downloading now. :)
  6. Darth_Redicolous Jedi Master

star 3
    Oops. Ok. Thanx Macho. Downloading now. :D
  7. EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  8. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    that was pretty good, I liked your matrix move, even though quicktime compression messed it up...and you did a good job on that motion tracking you needed help with
  9. Jedi_Master_dude Jedi Master

star 4
    I say chap, jolly golly good show!
  10. JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah that was good, I really enjoyed it !

there are some flaws, but minor, and I really got into it. the Metal Gear was pretty impressive. I never played those games, and I liked it, so hey, you made a good movie ! ;)

Oh, and there is one shot in which we can see that the general has got the script on his legs. 8-}
  11. Darth_Redicolous Jedi Master

star 3
    I got disconnected! :( I'll try again!
  12. Baron_Ironblood Jedi Padawan

I like how you got the action close to how the game plays, very good.

The Metal Gear effect was very good, I like the choice of robot you chose, but it could have moved around a bit to try and squash him.
  13. DarkATX Force Ghost

star 4
    Looking forward to watching it with a bag of popcorn at my side! :D
    A big congrats on your film!!! I can't wait to see it!!!
  14. EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Not a bad effort, for sure, wix!

I liked how you emulated many of the moves from the games, as well as the music, and some of the effects (the radio talking was DARN cool).

The bluescreening in the car was AWESOME, aside from that you could you could see through the mirrors, which is an extremly minor detail.

The main gripe I had with the film were the cuts. I'm not sure the ecaxt term (I'm sure Nick could help me with this), but when you show a guy walking (or running, any sort of movement), and you cut the camera, you must e-ther match up the steps PERFECTLY, or let the guy either move out of camera before the cut, or into camera after the cut. It'll make a HUGE difference. It's a problem I've noticed with a lot of fan films, and a bit of reading up on the subject (I've found some books in my local library) should help this out.

The other gripe I had was, see, again, I don't know what it's called, but when you have two people talking (e.g. the General and President), you must have one of them talking from the right side of the screen of the left, and the other one must be reversed. Otherwise it's confusing. As it is, that conversation is, well, badly edited, and doesn't *feel* right.

Just find some books to read (or go to a class), and make a new film using all the new techniques you've learned!

But I must say, in conclusion, that aside from the editing and camera faults, it was a very good film.
  15. Semaj Ovured Jedi Master

star 4
    Frankly, I'm not too thrilled with having to "register" with a company in order to download this film. So I guess I'll skip it until another option is available.
  16. JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Master

star 4
    Semaj, scroll down and there are links for people who are not registered
  17. DarkATX Force Ghost

star 4
    *Sigh*
    You must take the time to read the threads so that you don't miss any major details like downloading off the public servers. ;)
    I made that mistake earlier :p

As for the movie, I liked it.
    The editing and sound needed some more polish in some places and the explosions were great except for a few watermark logos present at the bottom left corner but I loved the story!!!

A fanfilm to be proud of I'm sure! All praise is well deserved...bravo Wix good stuff...I was thoroughly entertained!

SEQUEL!!!!!!! :_|

18. Shadow-of-the-sith Jedi Knight

star 1
    Downloading, man can not wait to see it, i am a big fan of the metal gear series of games and stuff :)
  19. DarkLordofSmith Jedi Knight

star 2
    I was going to download this when this first came up, but various things got in my way, you know like RL etc,.

But now, I'm on adls, well, Downaloading.

i can't wait
  20. Huginn Jedi Knight

star 1
    I just wrote a fairly long review but it somehow disappeared. D'oh!

Anway, I enjoyed it. It was worth the wait. Had the feel of MGS. Blood splats and muzzel flashes were good.

Some of the editing was good (action) and some not so good (the president).

I'll post a more detailed review later.
  21. moonz74 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Nice job! very entertaining!
  22. PixelMagic Force Ghost

star 5
    I just get an error message that says, "File not hosted on server" :(

Just kidding..ha ha ha :p
  23. DarkLordofSmith Jedi Knight

star 2
  24. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Nice one Wix,

I've actually never played MGS (shame on me) The robot looks the same as the one from RobotCop, is that right?. :)

There where some VERY neat bits in there, that I want to flag up. First the motion tracking on 'RoboCop' was very good, especially on that first zoom out, that worked well. And also on the tracking shot in the car where you moved from profile to mirror and back to profile, I looked at that and wondered how on earth you even pulled that shot off, then realised there was a lot of bluescreening going on. Very clever, and nicely done indeed.

Good job, and I'm pleased you finally found a home for it all :)

25. EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The robot looks the same as the one from RobotCop, is that right?.

Actually, Daft, that is a 'Metal Gear'.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.