\\--Metal Gear Solid Fanfilm Released- this time on VERY reliable server--//

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by wixmmm, Jun 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. KaaShamau Jedi Master

star 4
    I liked the radio communication best, that for me was pure Metal Gear :D Well done!

EDIT: One thing though, during the car chase when you're filming the actor, it might have helped to add some slight camera shake because, in my opinion, it looks a little too smooth. A minor nit-pick though.
  2. PixelMagic Force Ghost

star 5
    Humm, it keeps telling me to sign up for something. What's the deal with that?
  3. JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Master

star 4
  4. PixelMagic Force Ghost

star 5
    HA HA! I feel really stupid now. :p
  5. EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Now there's a first for ya... ;)
  6. PixelMagic Force Ghost

star 5
    Ha ha, hardly. I do something stupid at least 3 times a day. And, wixmmm, good job my man. A little on the gorey side for my tastes, but excellent job nonetheless. I didn't understand the plot because I don't play Metal Gear, but I loved the robot and the explosions!
  7. DarthVader79 San Francisco FF Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Great movie, Great great movie, I just have one problem with it...

HOW CAN YOU KILL OFF SOLID SNAKE LIKE THAT?!??!?!?!?
  8. WhisperingDeath Jedi Master

star 4
    Ya, this was your first movie wasn't it. The camera work was pretty ametureish but I did like the idea of using a HUD display for the Metal Gear fight. And who can't use a good taste of Hanz Zimmer's masterpieces daily?
  9. Neszis Jedi Master

star 4
    WARNING POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Wix, as you know, I have probably been waiting for this one the most eagerly (Emails all the time...etc.). Anyways, I'll write my review.

Beginning...I liked it. I was afraid at first that I had not gotten the sound or something, but then came that good ol MGS music. The intro with the bird/helicopter comparison(?) was a very cool effect...very fitting of MGS. Then came the President/Admiral (General?) scene. I ruly detested that scene, just due to the (sorry!) truly terrible acting by the younger man.

The segment while they were talking that was remeniscent of Rainbow six was enjoyable. One cool way to have done it, though, is through a first person view of a squad member with nightvision :).

Then came the Gym...that was cool, the music fit. I didnt understand why the Admiral ad said the Snake is retired yet he is still 18 or so. The retirement could have been left out. Also the girl's number thing...:(. That was unnecessary and a little too coincidental (not to give anything away). Now, the good part of the review starts! Car chase was exemplary. I loved the bluescreen, and although I could tell you sped up the footage (coulda fixed that with slower pans somehow...) it still was cool. Great job on the bluescreening. It looked almost flawless with the exception of tiny spills on Snake's hair.

The guns and the muzzle flashes: I don't know what to think about the use of paintball guns. They were VERY obviously paintball guns, so that was not loveable, but they still looked futuristic and MGSish. The muzzle flares were also unrealistic...a good dose of ALAMdv coulda fixed that. But, I think they were about as good as they coulda been, so hey, good stuff.

The codec was cool..I liked how u switched between it..I was wondering how you'd pull it off. The shooting location of the abandoned drug lord's house or whatever was awesome.

The costuming was clever. Snake's outfit worked perfectly for me. I didn't recognize Ocelot until I read his name in the credits, then I thought "OH YEAH!" The guard outfit was clever enough, because you could easily use doubles of the same person.

The use of the original MGS sounds was unexpected. Yet, I appreciate that homage, keeping the sounds like that. It was a clever way to pull it off.

Now, back to the plot points. The disposing of the guards was a little redundant, but you could recognize all the Solid ways to take out the guards. I loved where he picke dup the gun real fas and shot the hole in the guys neck...that was quite real-looking. The fight with Ocelot was not appreciated, though. I was shocked that you resorted to "peeking around the corner, shooting, and hiding again" for quite a long series of the Ocelot fight. Yet, the bullet time was quite cool...I only saw one slight glitch in it, and only because I watched it framebyframe. Nice touch..It kinda had to be done. The Metal Gear battle was VERY cool. It was a great use of 3d and masks. The missles were also enjoyable...Pixel proly loved em. I doubt Metal Gear was that small, or could be destroyed with a grenade, but whatever goes, fine with me.

Killing off Solid Snake was certainly not canon, but you took the artist's liberty in doing so. Im only sad that this means there is no sequel. I wish he'd had the copter come in and save the day, though...(Black Hawk Down).

Altogether, I'd give it a 7/10. Enjoyable, but still a step back from the "professional" feel of Metal Gear Solid...left me kind of detached. Yet it was still a great time to watch.

~Neszis~
  10. wixmmm Jedi Master

star 4
    I just got back from a 13 hour work day (1pm to 2am) but I just HAD to post.

Everyone, thanks alot for EVERY COMMENT made. I understand that the president scene was... well... horrible. The truth is, we had one 15 minute window to film that scene... so we really were rushing through everything (hence the script on his lap for those who noticed). We actually were going to have a conclusion with the general and president, but there just wasn't time, which is while the ending isn't more "wrapped up". As for the actor of the general, yes, we all realize he's not a great actor, but the thing is, he's a really cool guy who helps us a ton with any question we may have, and he knows his stuff. He really wanted to be part of it, and because he is so nice to us, I wanted to give him the part.

Now I'm just going to go through Nez's indepth review. I had a feeling I wouldn't get a high rating from him, simply because he really was anticipating this (which is what I didn't want... which is why I never really posted much... well, anything about this before release)

Beginning...I liked it. I was afraid at first that I had not gotten the sound or something, but then came that good ol MGS music. The intro with the bird/helicopter comparison(?) was a very cool effect...very fitting of MGS.

lol, we were actually filming the "solid snake rips through all the gaurds" scenes and we saw a helicopter flying by, at which point I screamed "WE CAN USE THIS!!!" and I filmed it. Then when I was hiking to the cliff for the Metal Gear POV I saw the hawk, and did the same thing. It was only after looking at the footage I realized it would serve a decent purpose.

Then came the President/Admiral (General?) scene. I ruly detested that scene, just due to the (sorry!) truly terrible acting by the younger man.

Yep.

The segment while they were talking that was remeniscent of Rainbow six was enjoyable. One cool way to have done it, though, is through a first person view of a squad member with nightvision .

I think you are talking ab out the infiltration??? If so, basically, what you see is what we filmed. It was getting dark and the mexican police were going to throw us in jail for no reason (because they can :p) and we were REALLY rushing there. Plus, Alex (the "villian" with heavy quotes) was driving my explorer and didn't want to crash.

Then came the Gym...that was cool, the music fit. I didnt understand why the Admiral ad said the Snake is retired yet he is still 18 or so.

"18 or so" --the main detractor of the movie, as I have pointed out before.

The retirement could have been left out. Also the girl's number thing...:(. That was unnecessary and a little too coincidental (not to give anything away).

The point of the gym scene/number (SPOILERS) is that that is the reason that Snake goes back into active duty. Come on, Snake has saved the world sooo many times, and at the end of MGS2, it looks like Raiden will be taking over, so I assumed that Snake would be retired, even Hideo Kojima said that there will be no Metal Gear SOLIDS... implying snake will not return... so this is how I interpreted that. Anyways, the girl gives him her number and address, now when she says "see you at 8" she now knows where and when he will be on the road. This lets the people who will inevitably chase him know where he will be, because the girl is working for the other side. The reason for the carchase is to eliminate snake before he is brought into the game. Now, theoretically, kim could just shoot him in the back of the head while he is bench pressing, but then there would be no car chase/rest of movie ;). Hope that clears up that unclear plot point.

Now, the good part of the review starts!

FINALLY! ;)

The guns and the muzzle flashes: I don't know what to think about the use of paintball guns. They were VERY obviously paintball guns, so that was not loveable, but they still looked futuristic and MGSish. The muzzle flares were also unrealistic...a good dose of A
  11. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    The metal gear is the robot from robocop, and it was pulled from our good ole scifi3d.

Yes, do I get a prize then! :p
  12. DarkATX Force Ghost

star 4
    It's no big thing Daft...I got an Ed-209 in my basement :p
  13. shwanzi Jedi Knight

star 3
    It was okay. I loved the music from MGS2 and The Rock. Some of the action was very sweet... the Matrix bullet-time especially. But instead of making a sequel you should have made this a prequel since your main star was so young. It could have been based on the original Metal Gear for NES. That would've made this really enjoyable. But what was up with your Metal Gear being the ED-209 from Robocop? I thought that was a little disappointing. Other than taht I felt it was a decent fan film... better than some of the crap that can be found on theforce.net.

P.S. That music that you played over the end credits (that was used in the Spider-Man teasers), what is that from? I've been trying to find who composed it and what film it's from for a while now. Contact me at mightyshwanzi@earthlink.net, please.
  14. JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Master

star 4
    better than some of the crap that can be found on theforce.net.

[face_shocked]

EDIT : If you had phrased this differently, I would have helped you finding the name of that music you're looking for, but you've just proved you weren't worth it.
  15. wixmmm Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok guys, let's not go crazy over his comment.

Thanks for your response, just for your information, it's ES Posthumus

Cya
    Mike
  16. Neszis Jedi Master

star 4
    Whoa..I didnt realize my critique was so negative..sorry about that. I would have put more positive stuff, but I was tired and I thought the repetitie use of adjectives such as "cool, awesome" etc would have made me come off as stupid.

"Then apparently you must not have enjoyed the games.."

Actually, I did enjoy them, but there is a difference between enjoying games and watching movies. Its a great time to play monopoly, but how much would you like to see a movie of people playing monopoly? See my idea?

"HEY! I THOUGHT YOU SAIOD THIS WAS WHERE THE GOOD PART OF THE REVIEW STARTS"

I hae GOT to quit lying..its gonna get me sent down under. :D

"not only did you ruin the ending of my movie, but you ruined the ending of Black Hawk Down for me (I have not seen it yet... bro just bought the DVD)"

HEY! someone above already ruined it, so I thought it would be ok! In addition, I worte WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS at the top of the page. Also, that is NOT the ending of Black Hawk Down as you may be pleased to know, only a part of it about 3/4 thru the movie. The END of the movie I mighthave spoiled was

WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILER

Behind Enemy Lines. THATS where a helicopter saved the day. That soundtrack is also EXCELENT for a fanfilm, I noticed...I'll need to buy it for Echoes of Injustice.

I hope you will find a way to have a sequel. MAybe with your own character, someone your own age, another member of FOX-HOUND.

I truly did enjoy the movie, and I wAs not disappointed by it at all...it just wasn't what I expected, you know? NOt disappointing, but different.

~Neszis~

EDIT: PLease pardon spelling and left out letters...Im on a CRAPPY mac currently with a wierd keyboard.

Idont mean MAcs are crappy, im just saying that this particular one is.
  17. wixmmm Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, I understand Nez, I did not think your review was negetive at all, actually very in depth and constructive... the thing about "you must not have liked the games" was a joke, hence the :p

But thanks Nez

Cya
    Mike

PS: WE JUST GOT 151 DOWNLOADS!!! 30 MORE AND WE MAKE THE FILEPLANET TOP 50 OF THE WEEK!!!
  18. JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Master

star 4
    Wix, only 151 ??? When I downloaded it, there was like 300 downloads slots reserved ! (that's what they were saying...)
  19. Neszis Jedi Master

star 4
    Wix, Your stupid MGS film SUCKED!!!!!

Thought there was gonna be a smiley here, didnt ya? Well, you're wrong.

~Neszis~

:D
  20. niennumb1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well i must say I really enjoyed the last 5 minutes of the MGS fanfilm. Your attempt on the effects were great and I liked the robocop enforcer robot you keyed in the background of your characters.

(most people must think this too) I think what would take away from the movie was the fact that the characters were quite underage to be who they were, except the president. Snake and the main terrorist just looked too young (and I understand you do with what you can with what resources you have). I did that a lot too when I was younger. You'd have your other 16 year old friends be cops in the force taking wanted criminals who were 14 and 15 years old down to the police station (which would be your family room, haha!). I took that into perspective and excused the people's ages. If the president were as young as the rest of you I don't think it would have looked as wierd as far as age differences :)

The matrix effect is always cool, good job on that. You also had me fooled on the blue screened car chase closeups, but then I noticed the mirror as well as some of the hairlines eaten away in certain spots, but nothing to really gripe a ton with. It still worked fine. Good job with matching the outdoor lighting with your background!

You mentioned you only had 15 minutes to do that President/Retired 16 year old (hah!) scene. I too noticed the camera angles were strange and didn't exactly edit together well. When you flipped from one side of the shoulder looking at the Pres to the other, it looked strange, like a jumpcut more than an edit. If you maybe at least cut to the side shot you had of your other guy in between edit cuts to the president it would have worked well.

The audio was probably taken from the on-camera mic, right? I noticed some backround sound was fighting your actors voices and on occasion sounded roomy or distant. GREAT MUSIC!!! I LOVE "THE ROCK" movie with Sean Connery and Nic Cage. That's one of my favorite scores. What is that piece of music called that they used in the Spider-Man trailer that you used? I love that piece too.

Your effects were great! Keep it up! I also liked how you paid homage to the games in placing in the people's voices from the game "WHO'S THERE?" etc. GREAT LOCATIONS TOO!!! Where was that? Very cool place. Helped in the mood of the movie as well as looked a lot like a MGS set. I liked your robot's view of Snake shooting at him as well as the communications with the General and Snake screen like the game. Of course good appropriate use of the game music in the spots you chose. I hate when people make movies and don't stay at least true to the original characters. You did well! Bravo!

Overall out of 10 I'd give it a 7. Good job and I look foward to seeing your future projects.

Hope I was constructive.. :)
  21. Mugwump Jedi Knight

star 2
    AH HAH!! Let the downloading begin! I have *officialy* started the downloading of the high res version... on my 56k modem!! Go baby go!!

ok, some quick things before I actualy get to see the movie...

1: DAMNIT!! sombody's already using E.S. Posthumus!! I'm using that same song for a rather smashing scene in Fall of the Jedi!! But you know what?? I FOUND it BEFORE SPIDER MAN DID!! HAHAHAHAHAH!!! TAKE THAT!! Hopefully, the song won't be too used up before FOTJ is realeased. And the other thing is that I'm also using the theme from the rock for another scene in FOTJ! BLAST!! lol! but DANG IT ALL!!! damn you wixmmm! damn you to hhhhheeelllll!!! (not really though)
    can't wait to see it though! It's about time that we have a REALLY good high qaul MGS fan film (most of the stuff I see is 16 year olds running around with pellet guns in the woods in levis.)

2: this is whole situation is REALLY cool/sucky at the same time for me. Get this: I have EVERY thing to do a really good mgs fanfilm... EXCEPT the time or the actors. In other words... 1 Fully functional Mk23 socom with LAM unit and suppressor (it's a dummy suppressor of coarse. No way in hell am I paying 3000 bucks for a real one) A good freind of mine has 2 exact FAMAS F1 replicas that he would loan me. I have an M4a1 and a sig551 swat carbine. Another freind of mine as couple of AK47 variants, not to mention, I also have a COMPLETE uniform that solid snake could wear (navy seal tac vest, thigh mount pistol holder, black/dark blue BDU's, clibming harness, and of coarse... the blue bandanna)

BLAST!!! If only..... if ONLY!!!
    you got to it first though... :-(

oh well.... I'm at 1% right now on the film! I can't wait to see it!!

oh, BTW... wixmmm... please check your PM's

-Mugwump
    I wish you best of luck! way to go!
  22. Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    "Wix, only 151 ??? When I downloaded it, there was like 300 downloads slots reserved ! (that's what they were saying...) "

That's on the server it's being hosted on, not that specific download. :)
  23. JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh ok. Thanks for making it clear :)
  24. Neszis Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow, nien...ur critique was like mine in a nutshell.

Also, though, I forgot about the sound level thing...the music did cause a bit of discomfort to strain hearing the voices, but I still loved it cuz the music was aweosme.

~Neszis~
  25. wixmmm Jedi Master

star 4
    Nien, thank you for your long, in-depth review, those are always appreciated.

As for the ages, yes, I realize that, but you know, we had fun making this, and that's the main thing. I did say that you should please forgive the age problem in the beginning when I first posted... I fully understand that it is a detractor... but it wouldn't be the same finding people who fit the ages...we had a blast filming (editing and making deadlines though...)

But thanks for all the comments, and YES, i understand the president scene is HORRID, infact, everytime I watch it I cringe and look at the others and just pray it somehow fast fowards to the action scenes.

The location we used was a mexican drug lord's house in construction. He got arrested and they just left the half built house there. It is a really great location, as the city I live in is a valley, so we have those sweet mountains.

Keep em coming guys, it looks like we're at 172 downloads, and that is from just announcing it on THIS board, so I'm hoping when Gamespy announces it I'll get some more traffic.

Thanks everyone,
    Mike
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.