main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

\\--Metal Gear Solid Fanfilm Released- this time on VERY reliable server--//

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by wixmmm, Jun 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mugwump

Mugwump Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 30, 2001
    well, I'm officialy 68% done! wooohooo!!
    what I'm seeing so far I like. The main thing is, is that one can obviously see that you loved making this.

you didn't take the ultra precision time consuming *pretty* route, but for what you have done, it works very well.

From what I've seen so far, I REALLY like the opening with the "best is yet to come" theme. It works very well with the helicopter/eagle.

What I absolutely LOVE is the president scene. Not becuase it's way above par (we already covered this) but becuase you can just SEE that the actor playing the president has no experiance whatsoever (or burning acting passion either) the reason why I love this so much, is that I've had the exact same problem times before. Sometimes you just have to ask your dad/uncle/neighbor to play those roles. It's great!!

I'm just up to the point were snake is infiltrating the building. So, the best is really yet to come! :)

Btw... the paintball guns don't look THAT bad (at least you took off the hopper.) But the muzzle flares could have used a little more AlamDV work (I think somebody already said this... not sure.)

Anyways, compared to all the other MGS crap out there, this is pretty good. (interesting Solid Snake costume I must add. but once again--it works.)

-Mugwump
    btw... wixmmm.... pppppppppmmmmmmm.... CHECK PM.... reply to PM.... pleeeeeeeaaaaaasssseeeee.... Thanks.

2. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Thanks,

ANd actually, the President is the PRINCIPLE of our school.... so to get him to do what he did was good enough for us ;)

Cya
    Mike

PS: at the fanfilm screening there were LOTS of people from our school, and they all got a real kick out of seeing their principle trying to stop terrorist activity. :)

3. Mugwump

Dec 30, 2001
    That's kinda ironic!

If he's a principal of a highschool, you'd think he'd be a 'natural.'

4. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I'm about 25% done ,watching it as I go... my fave line so far: "It would seem so, Mr. President." :D

One thing I LOVE is the opening shot of the terrorists. It''s very cool how he says "bla blah ;) " and then it cuts to black, then to just the feet, jumping out of the truck - it looks very professional.

I can excuse the ages and such because hey, my friends and I used to (and sometimes still do) make lots of films like this... albeit not as well-prefapred, but still...

This is looking cool. I'll chime in with more later.

5. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Nien! Quit copying my posts! :)

OH, and mugwump, I actually hacked the high qual out on my 56k AOL too, and I couldnt even do it while I was sleeping! (not allowed, phone line cant be tied up...bit of a long story.)

Right. Anyways, this was quite a solid film (heh heh...excuse the pun) and I hope EVERYONE dls this.

~Neszis~

6. Mugwump

Dec 30, 2001
    actualy... here's the REALLY sh!tty part.

My official d/l progress : 8%

NOOOOOOOO!!!!

My connection craped out on me. Luckily, I've turned on my copy of getright, so this WILL NOT happen again (the wait continues...)

well, I can watch half of the president scene again.

-Mugwump

7. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    Neszis,

I'm sorry!! I don't know what I'm doing to copy your posts! I'm just contributing my opinion!

8. wixmmm

Jun 8, 2001
    A good ole *bump*

(because I know there were people who replied to the first release and said they wanted it and haven't replied to this one yet.)

9. HTS_HetH

HTS_HetH Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    I have just downloaded and I also have QT 5 Pro but I cannot open the file. I always get the message that the file is no correct qt file. Also opening it from the browser (IE 6) does not seem to solve the problem. Any Ideas how to fix that?

10. Mugwump

Dec 30, 2001
    Hey hey hey!! Not bad!! I can pretty much coment on what everybody else said. Great ending fight sequences! Any complaints I have, have already been made, so I don't need to go any further. At first, the whole 'can I pick up here @ 8:00?' scene made me cringe, BUT, the end where the girl is there + her getting killed is pretty cool. So it makes up for it :)

Way to go wixmmm

first half I give 6/10
    second half I give 8/10

Nicely done!

-Muggy

11. wixmmm

Jun 8, 2001
    I love how you put it Mugwump (rating each half)... except you went a little nice on the first half... in my opinion, i'd give the first half a 2 or 3 out of 10...

Cya
    Mike

12. shwanzi

shwanzi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2002
    Okay, this music thing I was asking about. E.S. Posthumus... is that a band, the title of the song or what? I need to know so I can order this thing man! It's driving me crazy. Please gimme the details! Where can I get it and all that! PLEASE!

And that comment I made about 'crap on theforce.net', I meant 'that a few of the fan films posted here are rather weak. I won't name names, but you know who you are.

13. Neszis

May 23, 2001
    Wix, dont be so self concious. How can u give a car chase (and occasionally bluescreened well at that!), a hot girl, a helicopter, a Rainbow 6-like invasion, and a codec a 2 or 3?

Also, something that made me laugh is how u kinda sped up the car chase scene, theres a man walking toward the road on the left of the screen at about 6:57, and he's like all jittery and fast..SO funny looking :).

Oh yeah, and Nien, Im just messing with u. Great minds think alike.

But urs must just be dumb luck. :D jk!

I love this movie.

~Neszis~

14. Neszis

May 23, 2001
    nononononono. This thread cannot go down the tubes so fast. Bump.

~Neszis~

15. Mugwump

Dec 30, 2001
    woa woa woa! scwanzi... slow down man!!
    I know how you feel! E.S. Posthumus is one of my favorite artists too!
    ok, I'll tell you everything you need to know about them.

E.S. Posthumus is a group of 2 crazy/cool German guys who, untill recently, nobodies ever heard them. They use synthesizer equiptmen in combination with REAL chours and orchestras to produced their music. I've been listening to them for about a year now. They just released an album called "Unearthed." goto www.esposthumus.com to check it out.
    Their previous tracks are hard to come by, becuase they were released on a private home-made label basicaly.

The song that occurs about twice in mike's film (and used in Fall of the Jedi mind you for the 'blowing up coruscant ID4 style' scene) Is called "Pompeii." The used while rolling the credits at the end is called "elba." If you d/l that one, don't bother with the condensed version, it sucks.

Oh, and mike, I probalby would've have given the scene a 4-5 had you not made any ties in to the second half. The part that DID make me cringe was the whole "Can I have your phone number?" speil. For those of you who have played the game, or know who David hayter is... well.. yeah... you get the picture.

One thing I noticed though (And I'm sorry if this REALLY offends you) is that the snake charictor in this was a little more like raiden... lol...
    nah, but I enjoyed it a lot! way to go! It DEFINATLY beets all the other metal gear garbage out there.

-Mugwump
    (I SO wish I could have helped you on this project though... I have SO many good props.. it's unbelievable!)

16. wixmmm

Jun 8, 2001
    thanks everyone.

Mugump- I wish you could have helped too, but you think you could have gotten down to mexico??? ;)

But great news! I got 1200+ downloads of the movie!!! It's going up hourly, and by these numbers, it means I make Fileplanets top 10 movie list, but I'm not sure if I made top 50 all files list yet. (it's a weekly list that goes by weekly downloads)

Anybody know any other forums that might be interested in this movie? (I was gonna go to IGN, but it seems they make you PAY to post!!!)

Cya
    Mike

17. HTS_HetH

HTS_HetH Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Hey, me again. I still can´t get the movie to work on my PC. Pls. read my post above. I really like to watch this film so any hints would be appreciated. Thx.

18. wixmmm

Jun 8, 2001
    Try re-downloading it.... maybe you got a corrupt download, everyone else seems to be able to get it fine.

Cya
    Mike

19. niennumb1

Oct 10, 2001
    wix,

Question for you regarding your movie... How do YOU get the word out there about your fanfilm (such as methods or do you just have a lot of online friends)? I see all kinds of people flocking to see your new fanfilm and just would like some advice for when it comes time for me to try and lure the audience in. Did you have a trailer up for a while? I don't recall seeing one. I really liked your fanfilm though. A "SOLID" piece of work! haha! Great job.

Maybe I could just call my topic MGS sequel fanfilm! Naw, I wouldn't do that....

Thanks! And info would be great! you can PM me if you wish.

20. wixmmm

Jun 8, 2001
    Well, first off, I did not have a trailor... I am not sure if that helped or didn't, but it is just something you can think of.

Second, I think, honestly, that (with regards to who watched it here) I think I came to the forum and frist (For exactly a year) was involved with topics OTHER than my fanfilm(s)... I honestly think that has a part to play in the fact that the thread has 60+ replies... I first kind of made a name for myself here and THEN released the film... (i'm not trying to sound all cocky or whatever, but I think it is a factor) Essentially, what happens is people say "oh look, WIXMMM made a film!" not, "oh look, some guy wants us to look at his movie". I honestly think that's a factor.

the third is, I did offer it in 2 filesizes... I think the filesizes were low enough to where anyone could get it, I seem to recall your film being obscene in filesize.

The fourth is I thought out of the box. At first, I wasn't very creative with how to release the film, just get any ole provider and upload it for you guys, but then I realized (quickly) that wasn't good enough. then I thought "no prob, fanfilmfx can hook me up". Nope. They had JUST stopped hosting the week I released it... so then I thought "ok, ask some people from the boards" that would only be a temporary fix and could even end up hurting them. So then, FINALLY, after about a million obstacles were presented before me, I realized "hey, my movie might have more than just this board as it's potential audience" so, I thought "who might want to see it". I realized the title WAS metal gear solid, so I figured that it ALREADY had a huge fanbase, a fanbase I was COMPLETELY ignoring. So I approached some of the biggest Playstation2 and Metalgear sites out there... and they were ALL interested immediately. So I decided to go with the gamespy network as it is a VERY tight nit community, and my movie could be announced on several of their "planet-sites". Since being announced on the gsn, i watched the download counter and I'm getting hundreds of downloads a day (literally).

So maybe we aren't your only potential audience.... I'm SURE there are plenty of toy- collecting megasites out there that would be VERY interested in promoting your movie.

Also time could have had something to do with it... there wasn't much being released this weekend.

But honestly, I'm not EXACTLY sure how I got all the downloads, but I'm happy I did ;)

Hope that helps.

Cya
    Mike

21. Carl_el_cee

Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    I can't seem to download it. When the chime sound goes off nothing happens. I try to save to disk, an error comes up and I try to click the file and nothing happens...

Carl

22. niennumb1

Oct 10, 2001
    Thanks, Mike! Good advice! I'll also go to some big toy sites and see what people think.

Appreciate your time!

Are there other MGS fanfilsm out there (there must be). Just for kicks I'd like to see these... hehehe

23. wixmmm

Jun 8, 2001
    You need to click (left click) DOWNLOAD and then it will pop up a window with the link you can right click.

Cya
    MIke

24. Mugwump

Dec 30, 2001
    Well, there ARE other Metal gear solid films out there, but not anything near what Mike has done. There was one released on alamdv's website that was *alright* The props were a LITTLE bit better then mikes (no offense) but the costumes were horrible. The camera work was terrible (super 8) and there was NO story whatsoever. The only other impressive thing about this film, was that they had the classic 'metal gear Solid' red logo at the begining (a little thing that's in EVERY metal gear game. I guess Mike forgot about it, otherwise I'd knew he would have done it.) Their film had NO metal gear in it, which I think is a HUGE compliment to mike, for putting a giant robot in his film. :)

Well, had I known, I wouldn't have minded driving down to mexico (not that long of a drive) to shoot it ; provided I had a place to stay. Hell, I would have brought all my armory (under strict supervision.. But I wonder if la migra would like that...) and my cameras (Panasonic DVCPRO) and the wardrobe I've got from all my SWAT connections. Oh well... I just REALLY, REALLY, BADLY want to do a metal gear film :-( But I way to busy to Direct AND produce. Unfortunatly, there are not to many quality film atented people up here.

25. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    For me, the filesize played a BIG part. I enjoy fanfilms a lot, but being a 56ker (damn it!), I don't have time to download some of the longer ones (Knightquest, Broken Alliegiance).

Also, I'm a Metal Gear fan. Not a die-hard, but still... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.