main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Metroid FILM in the works?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Pooja, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Maybe not 100% game related, but 50% nevertheless. I figured the games forum would be a better place to post this, because there are obviously a lot of Metroid fans here. Anyway, chew on this news:

Metroid Game Film Rights Picked Up
    Wednesday, January 22, 2003 12:31 CST

Variety reports that Zide/Perry Entertainment has acquired the feature rights to video game franchise Metroid. Producers Warren Zide and Craig Perry, who've produced both the "American Pie" and "Final Destination" franchises, are currently going out to writers and directors to adapt the property, to which no talent is attached as yet.

The story is set in a once peaceful galaxy, which has its prosperity shattered by a startling discovery: On a routine mapping expedition of a planet, a survey crew discovers a new airborne life form -- the Metroid. Able to engulf other living beings, feed on their energy, and multiply in great numbers, they prove a terrifying menace. Female bounty hunter Samus Aran is commissioned by the Galactic Federation to eliminate the pests, but she soon discovers that pirates with a stolen Metroid specimen are plotting to breed an build an unstoppable army.

Originally released for the Nintendo game system, each of its incarnations, including "Super Metroid," "Metroid II," and "Metroid Fusion," has been a bestseller on its respective platform. Latest Nintendo release for the Nintendo GameCube, "Metroid Prime," was recognized by GameSpot and GameSpy as 2002's Game of the Year.

If done RIGHT, this could be awesome. However if done wrong, well, the result would be horrid. There's my opinion. Your turn.

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    If done RIGHT, this could be awesome. However if done wrong, well, the result would be horrid.

Historically, video games make crap movies (Super Mario Bros, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat), but more recently there have been some half decent video game movies (Final Fantasy, perhaps Resident Evil).

But no good video game movies as of yet.

I'll pass thanks

malkie

3. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    I've also seen that the film rights to Return to Castle Wolfenstein were sold to some studio. Don't remember which at the moment, but that could definitely make a good movie.

4. gotyoda

gotyoda Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 21, 2003
    [sarcasm] Come on Street Fighter rocked [\sarcasm]

My only problem with metroid is too me the game is about emersing yourself in a foreign land and feeling alone. I think that would be hard to pull off when you are not controlling the person. I mean who will she talk to or will it be a silent film?

5. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Simple. They'll pair Samus up with a hip, street-talkin', wise-crackin' buddy. When Samus immolates a space pirate, he'll spew classic dialogue like "I hope he's got good health insurance" and "That's gotta hoit!" It'll be the feel-good buddy film of the year! And I hear Madonna's been approached to play the role of Samus. How could it fail?

6. gotyoda

Jan 21, 2003
    I hope the get rob Schneider as the comic relief sidekick. He was great in Judge Dread.

I don't know. I hope it turns out well but I feel like it will get the normal hollywood make it fast and cheap treatment.

7. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    It would be hard with the suit. Samus is never out of the suit. So, the movie would have to have an incredibly realistic looking, super-light weight suit, or make it Final Fantasy style.

I myself wouldn't mind Final Fantasy style. It would make a lot of things easier for everyone.

8. gotyoda

Jan 21, 2003
    Yeah a good CG movie would be cool. Take forever and cost a fortune but good. They would probably do something where she lost the suit and is trying to find it or something (oh wait that's prime).

9. dr_nick

dr_nick Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2003
    If done as a live-action movie, they should do it like the comercial for Prime and Fusion. Except add detail and make it look less fake :D

10. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    Samus is never out of the suit.

Yeah, and Judge Dredd never takes his helmet off. Oops.

Never under estimate the ability of Hollywood to ruin a perfectly good idea. It would also depend on which studio was doing it how good it would turn out.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Well, actually Samus does appear out of her suit if you finish the game fast enough.

Of course they will have a face in a film, I always thought Gabby would be perfect:

[image=http://members.aol.com/WarrenW999/gabby.jpg]

[face_love]

12. The_Supreme_Jedi

The_Supreme_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    I for one would love to see a Metroid film just as long as they don't make it like Super Mario Bros. though....

13. Quickstrike34

Quickstrike34 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 27, 2001
    If done right, the Movie could be extreamly awsome. What worries me, is they will take it to far from the Games and make it some overly dramatic peice of Garbage.

14. Lord_Matthew

Lord_Matthew Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2002
    hey Tomb Raider was a good Video game Movei.. the only one that was good anyway.. well decent sorta good.. hey it was enjoyable, for straight guys.

15. LordJedi

Jan 15, 2001
    And they're doing a sequel to it too! Mmm, Angelina :)

16. ShiriKeiCelisoe

ShiriKeiCelisoe Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 8, 2002
    gotyoda The Metroid games are supposed to be like that. It's supposed to be Samus Aran alone fighting the Space Pirates. She's never had a sidekick and she shouldn't in the movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.