main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes [GCN]

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by obi_wan_kanathan, Apr 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    IGN.com just announced here that according to their sources, the sequel to Metroid Prime will be shown at E3 next month. :D

I've been hearing rumors of a sequel for a month or two now, and the 100% ending for Metroid Prime makes it pretty obvious that there could be a sequel. Not to mention that Nintendo would be crazy not to make another game. ;)

So what do you guys think this game will be about? Will it be a direct sequel for the game, or will it be more like the other Metroids and not really follow the other storylines? And what do you want improved in the next game?

2. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Dang! I'll have to be looking for that.

They're going to have high expectations for this game, so they better do it right. They could really screw themselves over with it, if they're lazy.

3. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Yeah, I just saw the announcement. This is exciting stuff. It'd be neat if they could some how include co-op or other multiplayer option.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>or will it be more like the other Metroids and not really follow the other storylines? <<

The other Metroids do follow the other storylines- Super Metroid/Metroid 3 followed up the storyline from Metroid 1, and Metroid 4: Fusion followed up the storyline from Metroid and Metroid 3.

I haven't finished Metroid Prime yet (stuck in the Phazon Mines, probably gotta do some backtracking and hunt down some energy tanks), so I haven't spoiled myself on how the game ends yet, so I can't comment on how well it's ending sets up a sequel, but, I have spoiled myself as to Fusion's ending, and I think them making a sequel to that game would be very cool (could officially call it Metroid 5, instead of the game being a "side-quest" like Metroid Prime).

5. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Funny that they never even came out with a Metroid game during the N64 era, and now they're already working on a second for the cube. I'm glad though, I really liked Metroid Prime and wasn't really expecting another Metroid game until whenever Nintendo comes out with their next system. So this is a pleasant surprise.

6. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    As quest is saying, it may not be a sequel to Prime. Technically, Super Metroid is a sequel to Prime.

I think the current order is:

Metroid > Metroid 2 > Metroid Prime > Super Metroid > Metroid Fusion

I would prefer a true follow-up sequel occuring after Fusion.

Also, I want to see the return of the screw attack.

7. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    "stuck in the Phazon Mines"

yes, the Phazon Mines were a chore. But a new Metroid!...Already! this is a very exciting day. I really loved Metroid Prime, and am and will be eagerly awaiting a new Metroid. I am somewhat of a Metroid n00b, becuase as a child my parents bought me a Sega Genesis instead of a SNES *sigh* so anyway I don't have really any speculations about what this new Metroid will be about. Also for those of us who didn't have the time to get 100% in Prime can you fill us in on the details of that ending? You could put a warning for spoilers for others that hope to accomplish that excrutiating task. Thank you.

Forcebewitya!

8. Joe_The_Red

Joe_The_Red Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2003
    "Metroid > Metroid 2 > Metroid Prime > Super Metroid > Metroid Fusion"

You have Prime and 2 backwards.

I've been thinking about the next Metriod ever since I beat Prime and Fusion. And I was think and noticing after reading a lot of other peoples reviews that the Metriod fans have been split. Some like the story direction Fusion is going, but hated the 3D of Prime. Some liked the 3D of Prime, but hate the story direction. Some liked the 3D of Prime, but hated scanning. Some wish the game stayed to it's roots (2D and no story). Some like it all.

So now there are many people that can be called Metriod fans, but for comletely different reasons. My point? I think they need to put in different paths for different people. It's the only way to make everyone less angry. Plus for the hardcore Metroid fans it would be like they've bought three games in one! Ahhh.... to dream.

9. obi_wan_kanathan

May 10, 2001
    I'm pretty sure that the next game is going to be a sequel to Metroid Prime and I'm almost certain that it'll use the same basic engine.

I wonder if the next game will be on an already existing planet, or be on a new one. I hope it's somewhere else then Tallon IV, but I wouldn't complain if we got a 3d Zebes or SR388. :D

What does everyone think should be improved in the next game? Personally, the only thing that I can think of improving is allowing beams to be combined like in previous Metroids. And the Metroids in the game should be more deadly like in other games. The ones in Prime were pretty weak.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They need a quick-turn-around lock button, so if you get attacked from behind, you can about face really quick.

Other than that, a 3rd-person screw attack mode would be a welcome edition. The ledge grabbing from Fusion would also be good to have.

I also think it'd be nice if they could include a bonus level or mode, where if you beat the game or something, you can gain access to a level where you get to fly Samus's ship (I mean, who doesn't want to get behind all those guns?) in battle. But since that obviously would be a radical change in direction from the Metroid series, it should only be as a bonus mode and not part of the actual game itself.

11. Joe_The_Red

Apr 9, 2003
    Man, there's a lot of things I think they could improve on (I really liked Prime, don't get me wrong). Let's start with the small stuff:

-All doors should turn blue after being open. Raise your hand if you got anoyed waiting for your beam to change just open a door.

-The Items should return to their original design. I think the biggest offender was the suit power ups looking like the Screw Attack. Then the Space Jump looked like the High Jump Boots.

-You should be able to use the Space Jump forever. Or call it something else.

-Bomb Jumping should return to its Super Metroid glory. On a side note: I can't believe they took it out of Metroid Fusion. Grrr.

Now to the big stuff:
    -I totally agree you should be able to combine beams again.

-The Map should be part of the pause screen. Let the Z-trigger be something else... like a run button or something.

-The need to find a way to bring back Samus' agility. I think the way to do this would be to first make her move faster with various things. Like turn into the Morphing Ball faster.
    Second, bring back wall jumping; maybe the R trigger could grab the wall for a brief second then you can press jump.
    Third, Somersaults. I'm no programmer so I don't know if this is possible. But I think it would be cool when you jump forward or back, a screen would appear to show you what's ahead; but around the screen you would see the world orbiting you 'cause you're actually spinning. Does that make sense?

Uh... that's enough for now.

12. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    I personally thought that for the most part Metroid Prime was excellent. Of course as in any game there were a few minor complaints, but I think that as gamers we have to get over the little stuff. Most of the stuff that you mentioned above is either of not much importance to the overall story or gameplay, or would be REALLY hard to do in the 1st person engine. For instance jumping off walls, and sumersualting, that would be awfully confusing (IMO) I will say that the quike turn around is a good idea and would be very helpful.

Forcebewitya!

13. Joe_The_Red

Apr 9, 2003
    Well, if you recall, I Super Metroid wall jumps weren't even necessary for the main game. It's really only used by advanced played who want to bring down the game's air tight design. So I don't have a problem with wall jumping being somewhat difficult.

And as for somersaulting, they way I tried to propose it wouldn't disorient the player... unless he or she was focusing on the edge of the screen. Well... I guess it's too hard to explain.

I'd also like to see the Wave Beam go through walls again; and the Plama Beam go through enemies and be green.

As I said at the begining of my last post, I really liked Prime. It's one of the best 2D to 3D conversions ever. But it seemed to have forgotten some of the great things from previous Metroids. And there is always room for improvement.

14. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I think they could do screw attack if they switch it to third person while doing it - like with morphball. Maybe one button could activate screw attack when jumping, and without it normal jumps take place.

15. obi_wan_kanathan

May 10, 2001
    I think it would be disorienting to switch from 1st person to 3rd and back so quickly. It would probably be better to just have your view flash or something, simulating spinning.

16. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Without being in 3rd person however, it would be difficult to target enemies with screw attack. Maybe you would have to switch to 3rd person before actually jumping in order to reduce the disorientation effects.

17. Joe_The_Red

Apr 9, 2003
    I don't know... maybe a Third-Person Visor. I wasn't too attached to the Thermal Visor, it could replace that. Why you go into third person for the Morphing Ball would make more sense that way. (shrugs) Plus there seems to be a good chunk of people that don't see why Prime had to be in first-person perspective; it'd give them less to complain about. (shrugs)

18. obi_wan_kanathan

May 10, 2001
    Maybe they could give you an option for being in 1st or 3rd person mode. It would be easy to implement and would make everyone happy. ;)

19. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    This game and Zelda: The Windmaker is next on my list of Gamecube games to get.

20. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    "Super Metroid/Metroid 3 followed up the storyline from Metroid 1"

Super Metroid also incorporated the ending of Metroid 2, as the baby Metroid that Samus released at the end of 2 (that believed Samus was it's mother) played a very big role in the entire plotline of Super Metroid, both at the beginning of the game and especially the end.

-Jomero, who's still saddened about the ultimate fate of the baby Metroid

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Man, how did I forget about that? ::)

Yeah, the ending to Metroid 3 is one of the best in gaming history, probably the most cinematic moment ever found in a sidescroller - the music was perfect when Samus gained that rainbow laser ability, the perfect "You are so frelled, Motherbrain" moment >::)

22. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    [face_laugh]

I remember that well. The good old little metroid came to help you out. That rainbow laswer was very cool to see.

I definitely think the Screw Attack should be brought back for the next metroid game.

23. obi_wan_kanathan

May 10, 2001
    That would be a good weapon to have. Forget the phazon beam, I want that rainbow lazer thing again. :D

24. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    I reckon 'Prime 2' will be an evolved version of 1, much like SM64 to SMS. There'll be a few gimmicks thrown in to make it feel more fresh (ala- F.L.U.D.D) but the concept wil reman largely unchanged. Not that I'm complaining :D

25. Joe_The_Red

Apr 9, 2003
    The rainbow lazer was called the Hyper Beam. I loved how it made the Mother Brain's head fly back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.