main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes [GCN]

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by obi_wan_kanathan, Apr 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Ahh, I'm waiting to play this once I get a Wii.

Yeah, I know, I'm way behind.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Picking up my game again (man, has it been 10 months? geez, i'm getting worse), as I still intend to try and finish this game before Prime 3 hits at the end of August, and I must remark on the gorgeous music for this game- Prime 1's music was good, and appropriately atmopsheric but usually had that unnerving or irritating approach to techno, which worked given the whole "space pirate mad scientist lab" setting of the game, but the stuff for MP3 so far has been rather beautiful. Looking forward to Stemage's Metroid Metal project eventually covering some of these themes.

3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Prime 3 is coming out that soon? I thought we had at least another year to go.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nope- August 20th is the release date. 20 years to the month from the original Metroid's north american release.

5. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Sweet. Can't wait to try that game out.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I like that's there's a bit of humor in the log entries, these two Space Pirate ones I just came across in particular:

"Metroids are not pets. Metroids are not to be used for target practice. Do not feed the Metroids."

"[insert pirate name/designation] succumb to "phazon fever", by which we mean he claimed the phazon was his and held us at gunpoint until security arrived."

[face_laugh]

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Just beat the first temple at 5:20 & 17%. I love worm bosses, hehe. Though it adds into the definite "Metroid Prime meets A Link to the Past" feel of the game, but ya know what? It really works very, very well. The Morph Ball puzzles and levels have also definitely been integrated much more naturally this time around too. Hopefully I can find the Boost Ball upgrade soon so i can tackle all these ramp areas that are out of reach.

8. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    Dang... I doubt I'll have time before Aug 20 (my July is pretty much taken up with the honeymoon ;) ) but I'd like to play Prime 1 for the 4th time and Prime 2 for the 3rd time before prime three comes out.

Then again, I bought RE4: Wii today, despite RE4: GCN on my shelf. I'll give the older one to my future brother-in-law. He seems to be getting all my "I bought the Wii game, here's the GCn version" stuff :p

9. Richard-Drahcir

Richard-Drahcir Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2004
    You've got a good time coming up with the Boost Ball Gaurdian, 2nd Quest. That boss was damn annoying. I think that every boss in this game has proved to be tougher than the one you'd fight at the same sorta time in Prime 1. I've just obtained the grappling hook and I survived the fight with 60 health when I had 4 bars of upgrades. Damn tough.

Obviously living in England means I'm at the mercy of NoE but at least it means I'll get to finish this game well before Prime 3 is released. I refused to play Prime 2 before finishing Prime 1 despite owning the game for about a week until Metroid Prime was dead.

10. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I have MP3 preordered at EB Games, but I still have to get a Wii, so my adventure begins.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So I've been facing the Boost Ball Guardian for the last hour... I'm going to enjoy turning him into pudding pops when this is all over...

EDIT- DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[image=http://ifelicious.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/JelloPuddingbillcosby.jpg]

Tastes like...victory. Sweet, sweet, delicious victory

Damn, that was one tough SOB!

EDIT 2- I forgot to scan the Morph Ball upgrade! :oops:

12. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    I was struggling with him only two weeks ago. I must have died almost ten times before finally killing him with less than one energy tank left. He's probably the boss I had the most trouble with in the whole game.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it took me almost an hour and a half to finally down him. I haven't had that much trouble with a boss since Meta-Ridley in MP1.

14. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Yes, reportedly Retro Studios had gotten a lot of feedback from fans about the Boost Ball guardian being too hard, which caused them to make it easier to beat it in the Trilogy edition.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Is that so? I hope not- yes, it is a bastard, but it's not impossible; it just takes some time and a little luck. It's far more satisfying a victory being harder.

16. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Yeah, that and the Spider Ball guardian, but upon reading it again it seems it depends on what difficulty setting you play it. Read about it here. Apparently the decision was made after reading message boards, which is fun and uplifting to know; that there are developers who actually do that.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Having just acquired the screw attack the other day, I felt compelled to comment that this game really gets my respect for it's complexity and unwillingness to sugar coat things.

I'm not ashamed to admit that this last stretch actually made me use a walkthrough for actual levels (versus hidden missile upgrades and energy tanks)- I usually don't have any problems with dual-world constructs (in fact, they are probably my favorite game mechanic of all time), nor Metroidvania backtracking, but the way they've been combined in this game sometimes just exceeds my capacity to fully calculate and process them. Most impressive.

I can't even begin to think of how long it would have taken me to figure out the backtracking through a half dozen+ portal jump-back-and-forths to get the screw attack on my own, if I could have at all.

I mean, it all made complete sense, yet to actually arrive at the point where you'd consider it would seem mighty elusive. But a great game design has the answer to a puzzle staring you right in the face once you look at it from the right angle or two (or six).

18. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Yeah, getting the screw attack is mighty fun. But I really do hate those weird enemies that hit you with a virus that corrupts your suit's systems for a moment. Not to mention that they take 2-3 super missiles apiece to kill. Ugh.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Rezbits, yeah, I hate them too- mostly because I kept forgetting what weapon kills them best, so I'd end up running out of dark energy and have to take them down with a ton of charged power shots from a distance. Thankfully the screw attack takes them down easy.

20. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I love those enemies, the fact that you have to reset your suit like a PC amuses me. :p

You should try Boost ball boss in hard mode, lots of fun.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The difficulty level options were added to the trilogy version, right? I forget if they gave you an option ion the GCN version (which is what I'm playing) at the start.

22. roxez

roxez Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2007
    The GCN game does have difficulty options as well, but you have to unlock hard mode by playing normal mode first.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah, well, I won't have time for that for like, a decade... ;)

24. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    I never truly cared for the game for a while due to it being radically different from the first in the sense you no longer carried the familiar beam weapons and, well, they worked as an ammo system, too. But I decided to give the game one more try before I played MP3 and I found myself loving it, from Boss Battles to Upgrades and that change can be good sometimes.

Oh, and the Boost Guardian was tough, but I've faced harder Bosses/Mini Bosses in video games.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Quadraxis was an awesome boss fight.

Very creative combination of techniques, from the boost attack, to super missling the leg joints to using sonic attacks to disrupt the communication signal to stunning the head unit to then spider-boosting off the leg tracks onto the floating head and laying a bomb into a node.

That's one of the more unique/original boss fights this series has had in awhile. Boosting from spidertracks to other magnetic surfaces in general has really opened up a bunch of great puzzles and combat options. I think that may be the most lingering/significant addition to the series from this game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.