main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST MF WORLD PREMIERE • THE SHOOTING SCHEDULE VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Luke Skyywalker, Dec 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

Possible. Although I'm not sure if the Falcon factors into it. I don't think the Falcon was ever the Knights of Ren's scooby mobile(how did a Kylo, as a child, get abducted with it?). Then, again I could be wrong.

2. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Yep, seems that way and more or less lines up with what we know. Either that or the massacre happens a little bit later with Kylo being abducted(betraying?) at around 15 and it jumps five years later to the clan getting killed.

I'm pretty sure Luke believed Kylo was killed.

3. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    The problem with assuming that Kylo is dead is that his body would not still be at the Academy for Luke to identify. Luke would presumably be gathering the corpses for the funeral pyre and see that Kylo is not amongst them. The only way round that would be the KOR using heavy duty 'vaporising' type guns.

4. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Leo's doesn't appear to have developed her force ability at all. But she may have felt Han's death. Also, presumably TFA Luke is much stronger and wiser than ROTJ Luke and ANH Kenobi. He can't even feel the death of what may be his nephew?

5. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Perhaps the corpses are mutilated? He can't know for sure...

6. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

Not sure about that. He is older for sure but that doesn't necessarily correlate with stronger and wiser. When Rey meets him at the end of film he could be somewhat broken for all we know...

Perhaps the conclusion of his character is getting his confidence back?

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  7. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000

That's another good point although with so many padawans being wiped out perhaps Luke suffered overload?

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  8. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Leo? Ugh. Leia. Autocorrect is my enema.

9. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Yes, that's a theory. Seems plausible. However, given that Harrison was expected to join ever since Lucas asked him, I find it difficult to believe that the early drafts didn't also include a substantive role for Han. So my guess is that the Poe character may have been slightly bigger before, but not necessarily by much.

10. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

It could be that Han and Luke had reversed placement. Luke getting killed early on and the characters linking up to Han at the conclusion of the movie. Perhaps that is what changed.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  11. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    I think the problem with the Rey Random theory is that it's just...not satisfying. I mean, I'll totally give it the benefit of the doubt - I think I'd still really like her as a character and the movie may surprise me and pull it off fantastically. But it's a family drama and honestly, it'll be really hard for it not to feel like a let down. Abrams is clearly riffing hard on the Original Trilogy. That includes joyful familial revelations as well as tragic ones.

Currently there's no indication that Han and Leia have any other children. If they do, it seems a bit odd they're not in the film. I mean, there are ways they could explain that that I'd be totally cool with, but from a narrative point of view, there's a choice here. Han and Leia's kid went very bad. That's tragic. That's just...full of loss. Han and Leia's reunion is described as awkward. Luke is missing. Apparently the Skywalker twins never really got to be a family for any extended length of time as adults either. Even if Kylo is ultimately redeemed, much of his childhood or adolescence has been lost. If the Skywalker line ends this way, that's just...tragic. And not in a dramatically satisfying way, but in a depressing "what was the point?" kind of way. In a way that would kind of ruin the end of Return of the Jedi in retrospect.

You need some hope to balance it out. Hope like finding a lost child.

Yes, we need to explain why Luke left Rey on Jakku and hid from the galaxy, but we have to explain how Rey was left on Jakku anyway, and we have to explain why Luke went off and hid from the galaxy anyway. Sure, it could be that her family were killed and she's waiting for people who'll never come for her, and in a different franchise, that might work. But...so many of the trailers focus on her identity - who are you? - I know those eyes! - Maz and Kylo both press her on this. It could be she's special in a new way. That she mirrors Anakin only thematically, as some prophetic child. I think all that does, though, is remind the audience of all the Skywalker similarities in her desert-bound scavenging, droid-tinkering, piloting, Force-sensitive existence. It's just gonna fuel speculation "Oh, she's special! She must be Anakin's granddaughter!" and then...what? "Uh, no, sorry, she's not. Sorry."

It's...gonna be really hard to make her backstory more compelling than being Luke's long-lost kid. And they've only themselves to blame because they are REALLY pinging hard on imagery and questions that focus on their similarities and who she really is.

Nothing in this list confirms it, but I do think there's some circumstantial evidence. Earlier in the film, Han convinces Leia that Rey is worth saving (presumably at this point she doesn't know this is her niece). Once Rey is rescued, we have a note that there's a specific (so presumably important) farewell scene between the two and that it's warm. I guess they could have bonded after the rescue because they just...happen to really like each other? But I also think it's notable that Leia essentially seems to be giving Rey her blessing to go find Luke and deliver his saber to him. If Rey is some kind of Force prodigy (or child of prophecy), then absolutely, it would make sense to make sure she got to Luke. But it seems odd to me that Leia wouldn't want to go see her own brother after so long. Unless, of course, she was stepping back to allow some privacy for a very emotional and complicated family reunion.

Anyway, that's my thinking.

(Also am I the only one who thinks that - since Vader sounds like Father - the Knights of Ren totally came from the last syllable of Children?)

12. dr strangelove

dr strangelove Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    Two weeks from now, the collective inner-monologue of everyone here on 7SA as the camera pans down after the crawl will be...

"Dude...it really IS that ****ing lightsaber."

KyloAwakens, Seeher and hippie1kenobi like this.
  13. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I'm hoping they move that saber bit to the flashback. Hoping for the opening to be pan down star destroyer, drop ships and kylo shuttle to Jakku.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  14. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Nowhere in any outline does it explicitly indicate or suggest that Rey was "left" on Jakuu. She ended up on Jakuu. Maybe Daisy said it, but the spoilers have not come right out and said it.

I'll post a Han/Leia theory I posted on the Daisy threat (a few times but with no responses):

1. Luke starts an academy.
    2. Han and Leia bring young Kylo to be trained.
    3. Kylo becomes Luke's best student.
    4. Baby Rey (Kira) is brought to Luke too. She shows promise and Kylo is jealous. He turns to the dark side.
    5. Kylo joins KOR, Luke goes to find out more and leaves the clan (residents of the planet with the academy) to look over padawans.
    6. KOR attack and spare Kira for some reason. Surviving clan take Rey away and try to bring her back to her parents.
    7. Mission to bring Rey home fails and is attacked. All of the crew die except Rey who is put into an escape pod that ends up on Jakuu. She loses some memory upon impact. She takes on the name Rey from some residents on Jakuu.
    8. She quickly learns to fend for herself.
    9. Communication is never made to Han and Leia as the mission is destroyed. Han and Leia assume that Rey is dead.
    10. As years go by, Leia buries herself in her military work. Han never loses hope that his little girl is still alive and would do anything to find her. Others think he is delusional.

Theory for Rey being Luke's daughter:(somewhat similar)
    1. Luke starts an academy. He falls in love with a woman on the planet that agrees to host it.
    2. Han and Leia bring Kylo to be trained. Kylo shows great promise.
    3. Luke marries the woman and they have a little girl named Rey.
    4. Kylo is jealous. He turns to the darkside and joins KOR.
    5. KOR attack when Luke is away. Clan fights them but is mostly wiped out. Rey is secretly rescued-probably by the mother. With hopes of bringing her to her aunt and uncle, the mission fails. See #7-9 above.
    6. As for the mother...???...she's probably alive somewhere thinking her daughter died. I'd hate to think that ANOTHER Skywalker has lost their mother.

15. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    This implies that the spoilers would be more accurate than the word of the actor herself? Besides, she did say it. To Entertainment Weekly, I believe. She was left on Jakku when she was five. And, as she explains to BB8 in the Japanese trailer, she's been waiting for her family ever since.

Personally I think it's more likely Kylo was kidnapped and warped by the Knights of Ren than that he turned out of jealousy. That suggests there was something rotten in him from the start which feels wrong for Han and Leia's kid. He also seems more curious about Rey, initially, than jealous. He's described as disappointed when she asserts she's "just" a scavenger. It's nothing conclusive, but it doesn't seem the way they'd play that reunion if he was once so jealous of her he violently upended his entire life...

16. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Yep, I believe that is what really happens. She was 5, was ditched by her parents there and she has been waiting for them ever since. If she is related, she probably does not know their real names nor who they are, as she seems to have heard stories about Luke and Han.

17. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    I think either Luke or Maz may have left her with Lor San Tekka. I think he and his village are anchorites. As such, they'll have taken a vow not to leave their settlement. If she's run away from the village at some point, LST won't have been able to go and look for her.

18. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Very much looking forward to it. :)

thejeditraitor likes this.
  19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    INT DAY - 179 - STARKILLER BASE - CONTROL ROOM • Engineers perform final firing protocol

EXT DAY - 180 - STARKILLER BASE - ABOVE THE CATAPULT • Plates as required for CG firing of The Catapult

EXT DAY - 180 - STARKILLER BASE - PARADE GROUND (SNOW) • Rally/Hux reacts to firing of The Catapult

EXT DAY - 181 - STARKILLER BASE - ABOVE THE CATAPULT • Plates as required for surrounding chaos caused by firing

EXT DAY - 182 - CASTLE - COURTYARD • Finn and Rey see something terrible in the sky

INT DAY - 183 - CASTLE - GROUND LEVEL • Maz Kanata won't answer. Sudden buzz near doorway

EXT DAY - 184 - TUNNEL OF LOVE • Emissary from Leia looks up to see what's coming

EXT NIGHT - 185 - FAR AWAY FROM TUNNEL OF LOVE • Tunnel Of Love meets its fate

to me this says leia sends out korr sella," the female emissary", to take a message to mon mothma on hosnian prime. she gets to hosnian prime just as the weapon is fired. she looks up and sees the death beam hit the planet. the people on takodana and leia on d'qar can see the sun and system destroyed in their skies.

check the pic.

[​IMG]

Darth_Zidious likes this.
  20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

They're associating Finn with it to save the moment when Rey uses it as a surprise. That's why Rey has her staff in the poster and the trailers, as well as whenever her figures are released.

21. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Sorry, I don't buy the "red herring" theory. I believe thats a big moment for Rey but you don't need to associate Finn with a lightsaber as an elaborate misdirection. Its not necessary. I believe he is associated with it because its also part of his story.

We will see in a couple of weeks.

22. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It isn't a red herring. Finn uses the saber up until he gets his ass kicked and then Rey steps up. A non Force sensitive using a saber would be something new in the films. More than Grievous who lost quickly to Obi-wan and Han who didn't fight at all. What gives it away is the Stormtrooper that Finn fights who uses a malee weapon. Finn takes it up because of his training. Pretty simple.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  24. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I don't know if he's FS or not, but I do think there is an element of smoke and mirrors narratively so that when she takes up the saber it's a great moment (which is not to diminish Finn's arc - but Rey is the Luke of TFA).

25. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Sorry, I think your incorrect. We will have to wait and see in a couple of weeks. Its more than just the lightsaber. Its also the character of Maz who seems to be force sensitive. What purpose does her character serve at the conclusion of this movie?

So they created a character with apparent force powers to provide some exposition and then dump her? I don't think we will convince one another.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.