main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST MF WORLD PREMIERE • THE SHOOTING SCHEDULE VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Luke Skyywalker, Dec 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

Here is why I don't think its smoke and mirrors: its obvious early on that Rey is force sensitive. The question is whether she will accept her gift or not. You don't need a misdirection for that. If her FS was a complete unknown and left for surprise for the climax: Then I could see your point.

In fact, thematically it makes sense if Finn is. Finn gets his first exposure to the force from Rey. Rey is actualized through Finn to accept her gift through his bravery.

2. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    No, it's smoke and mirrors as in which one is going to save the day. It's not a huge red herring, but it's like a more involved version of the way Yoda mentions "another" in ESB. We "know" what who will come through and win at the end of the day, but we need that slight possibility of doubt that Rey might not. And that is also playing out now in the marketing which has made a point of hiding Rey with the saber. They are holding back her taking up the blade in the marketing and will do so in the story (but as I say, and you point out too - Finn plays a huge part in that - it is too simplistic to suggest he is just a red herring - he is a co-lead and will have his own agency and strong arc).

3. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Ok, but thats not exactly what we are talking about is it? Plus, I don't think they have been all that shy on who the main character is. I mean is it a huge leap from a staff to a lightsaber? I mean general audiences are pretty stupid but they can use some basic associative logic.

My point is regardless of who gets the heroic moment at the climax. I think the association with the lightsaber for Finn is very much setting his character up down the road. It's cool if you disagree doesn't bother me none.

Satipo likes this.
  4. yassir.khan

yassir.khan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2014
    I do hope Finn is Force sensitive. I think for this new era it will be cool to see two young aspiring Force sensitives. Not a deal breaker but just a preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    It is what I'm talking about lol. I think and hope Finn maybe be FS but even if he's not I think him using the saber is as you say setting him up for further down the road. But to me, and completely appreciate you feel differently, there is a reason they're holding back Rey with the saber despite her using it at the end and taking it to Luke.

yassir.khan likes this.
  6. HGST

HGST Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 25, 2015
    I think both Rey and Finn achieve heroic moments as part of the climax of the film, moments that complete the mini-arcs for their characters in TFA. Finn goes from unsure, not having anything to fight for, to facing Kylo freaking Ren, knowing he's toast. But he does it anyway, a brave and heroic moment that leads to Rey taking up the saber and defending Finn, just as he came to help rescue her earlier. And we all know what that leads to for her at the end of the film. She's finally accepted her destiny, and completed her mini-arc within TFA.

I think if it's executed right it's fantastic stuff.

7. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I would say Rey discovers who she really is and embraces her destiny, letting the force in. Finn finds a cause worth fighting for.

8. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    If the GFFA is approximately as large as the Milky Way, it would take 40.000 years for the light of Hosnian's sun to reach Takodana and even longer to reach D'Quar. I doubt our heroes - young and new - can live that long.

9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    k. i wasn't thinking in those terms at all. i'm tellin you it's the cough syrup.

Darth_Voider likes this.
  10. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Yeah, but...this isn't quite a science fiction film, and even an astrophysics-savvy viewer will likely not have seen this map. So, it could certainly happen...

11. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    How does hyperspace compare to warp speed?

12. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    uh guys, about that spoiler plot point i was presenting about a planet blowing up, it was pointed out to me that other people on other planets wouldn't see an explosion for thousands of years. i think the cough syrup i've been chugging has taken me into another dimension where light travels faster than time. oh well. something will blow up!

TK327, Darth_Corvus and Satipo like this.
  13. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Depends on how close the other planets are...

Satipo likes this.
  14. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015

Is it possible these scenes are scenes already shot in previous movies e.g. Luke getting his hand sliced off in ESB losing the sabre?

15. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Look at you, using real physics. That's so cute.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  16. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    he has a point.

17. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013

If it's true, that is going to bug me so much... :mad:

18. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    it was just my interpretation. if hosnian prime does blow they could lose transmission or something else that would tell them it's gone.

19. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013

I read the MF plot too and came to the same conclusion.

Although "Finn and Rey see something terrible" coming before "Tunnel of love meets its fate" is perplexing. Would they actually see the beam coming from the Starkiller? I look forward to seeing how this sequence plays out.

20. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I would think that the search for Luke and the building of the sledgehammer are the results of the resistance learning the hard way about the starkiller super weapon. I don't think we'll see the Hosnian system blow up so much as we'll hear about it from the opening crawl or from the characters. Then in the middle of the movie we get to see the destructive powers of the Starkiller. Though I wonder if Snoke, Kylo, and Hux are all in agreement with how much power should be used on Takodana.

Also isn't Chandrila the capital of the New Republic in Aftermath?

21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think the destruction of Hosnian Prime will be like a Pearl Harbor moment for the New Republic where they finally decide to enter the war against the First Order (which we'll probably see in Episode VIII). Up until this point I think the First Order has deceived them into thinking Starkiller is only there to ensure their own survival.

Import_Jedi and thejeditraitor like this.
  22. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    i wonder if they even know much about it. i'm sure the resistance knows and is trying to tell the new republic but they probably don't listen.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  23. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    HL&S "Though I wonder if Snoke, Kylo, and Hux are all in agreement with how much power should be used on Takodana."

The Starkiller weapon is not used on Maz's Castle though. We have seen enough in the trailers to know that the TIE Fighters basically demolish it with repeated strafing runs. It seems to me that there was to be a low power shot from the Stakiller on the Castle and unfortunately THE TUNNEL OF LOVE was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    That doesn't look like a low power shot in the parade scene. If that's meant to destroy a simple castle then talk about overkill.

Import_Jedi and thejeditraitor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.