MFC - Richmond Times Disgrace Article

Discussion in 'Richmond, VA' started by zNova, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zNova Jedi Padawan

Thought you all might find this amusing to say the least:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD/MGArticle/RTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031782778197

Three things: Yoda was always mine (they pulled my name out of the hat for him) and Yoda was not sold on ebay, he's safe & sound in my living room. Also, Keith did not found the MFC, he was a member. He certainly did not come up with the name OR create the website.

Amazing they can get so many facts wrong on a puff piece.

Good grief!

Amy
  2. amaunet Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yeah when I saw that there was an article listed yesterday on him to run today, I made certain that I told everyone here at work to keep it out for me.....After reading it, I promptly emailed the author about the many issues with the article.

Its amazing how things get twisted when it is an issue of having your name attached to a piece of media lol....

3. zNova Jedi Padawan

You'd think they'd verify their facts... but I guess it IS a puff piece so... but sheesh, makes you wonder how factual the rest of the news is. ; )
  4. keithabbott Force Ghost

star 4
    Considering the topic was on me, there were only a few inconsistancies in what I said versus what went into the article. Most of it was on track. I totally agree that that I didn't create the website and I asked Pete to do a retraction on that. Actually, what I did do was send an email to Countingdown.com to get a Richmond forum setup to help organize the line prior to the premiere of TPM. The MFC organized after the lineup.

And I did tell Pete that I helped in the founding of the MFC, because you know as well as I did that I did. But they key word was "helped". I wasn't the only person. I was a founding member. I told Pete the persons I believed that were most instrumental were Pam and Bill but they didn't make it into the story.

And I definitely didn't come up with the name and I don't think Pete said it in that context.

Lastly, as for Yoda..I told Pete exactly what I thought happened to him. The last conversation you and I had about him was that you were going to sell him. I don't think I specifically meant Ebay, but I may have eluded to it. As to who owned Yoda, that's a matter of opinion. And I'm not going to get into a personal dispute here. It's not the proper place, and honestly it won't resolve any dispute I have with zeNova on the matter.

I am however glad to hear that you did not sell him.

As to any other discrepancies...that too is a matter of opinion. I personally believe the reason the co-op ultimately failed was due to personality conflicts. And if someone disagrees with me, that's their right to do so.

Keith
  5. zNova Jedi Padawan

The topic sure was you. Smack dab on the cover of the newspaper. And ALL about how *you* founded the co-op.

Pam and Bill, most definitely, but how can you forget Carol & the two Paul's? Not to mention everyone else who worked to keep that club alive.

And why didn't you tell them the truth? That I didn't leave you because you were a SW fan, I divorced you because you refused to get a job. That wouldn't sell very many papers would it?

I guess I just don't appreciate being used to sell papers. I'll be sure to put that in my letter to the editor.
  6. keithabbott Force Ghost

star 4
    I'd be happy to talk to you about what I told him versus what you seem to think is written or not written in his article. You're taking it way out of context. Login to AIM and I'll answer your questions, but honestly this isn't the place for it.

Keith
  7. zNova Jedi Padawan

Sure it is! It's public. Just like the article!
  8. keithabbott Force Ghost

star 4
    I didn't forget the other members in my discussions with Pete. I mentioned we had a core group of members and although I didn't specifically name names with the exception of Bill and Pam (because they had previously been in fan clubs unlike the rest of us) I didn't take full credit for the things you think I may have. Plus, most of the article is NOT about the Co-Op. Just a few sentences. Did you even read the entire article?

First thing I did this morning was email Pete about the issue I had with the MFC web site. I asked him to retract the bit about me creating it. I told him that I was there for the initial meetings but the person behind the design and implementation was really Paul. And that I felt it was not appropriate for me to get credit for something I didn't do. And then I also told him about Countingdown.com in case that's where his confusion came from. I even emailed Paul this morning to let him know it concerned me.

As for our divorce, he asked about Yoda because he read my diary. So I talked to him about what happened that day we went to all the Blockbusters. I never got into why we divorced and I don't agree with you that I wouldn't work. That's plain wrong. I was clinically depressed at the time and eventually sought help for it, so I'd appreciate you laying off that subject.

What I told him was that it affected the group dynamics of the Co-Op to a degree and that it all happened when we were both heavily into Star Wars. So what I said about Star Wars being a wrapper to what went wrong..in a way it was...because it was my escape for being depressed and going through a divorce. It helped me through it to a degree. I'm sorry if you don't understand that, but I never told him the cause of our divorce because honestly it wasn't relevant.

If you think I used this interview as a chance to get back at you...you're very wrong. I also told him about how we met and how both you and I were founding members and how we stood in line together for TPM. So it's not like he got a completely one sided story. Plus he had my entire journal to read to see all of the good things I had said about you.

I didn't pick and choose what he could write about. He asked me to do the interview, and I answered his questions as honestly and as truthfully as I could.

I'm sorry the article did not sit well with you. If there's something I can do to make you feel any better about it, feel free to ask.

Keith
  9. amaunet Jedi Knight

star 3
    Boy am I sorry that I could not access the boards after lunch today....

But kids, let's stop this right here. While I totally agree with the fact of the matter that the facts as presented in the article are somewhat less than accurate, this is not the place to discuss them. Nor is it the place to argue about the true facts. Those of us that were a part of the MFC at any point know what happened (each from our own point of view)--lets leave it there.

If you have a problem with what was written, contact the author of the story. He is very nice and understands that there are a multitude of issues with the little bit of information that was presented within his article.

If you want to do more than that, send a letter to the editor with your information and what you felt was wrong with the article and its stated facts.

But lets NOT drag down the boards here by discussing it further than to state your feelings on the ARTICLE. If things continue to escalate, i will ask that the thread is locked. But personally, while I don't like the article, it was nice to see someone around here saying something nice about fans without laughing about us...
  10. SuperShipley Jedi Knight

Wow, and you guys said MY posts were offensive - I would suggest this get taken off board. This is no place for it.
  11. Topachea Jedi Padawan

what is the MFC?

btw im not new here, just new posting
    i was the guy with the real looking sith robes at commonwealth 20 if anyone was there;)
  12. jediknight88 Force Ghost

star 6
  13. amaunet Jedi Knight

star 3
    In short:

the MFC was a local Star Wars fan club that died about 3-4 years ago, after some long standing issues.

Future discussion on this subject should be taken up off the boards as I am sure you can see that this is a VERY heated topic with some of the former members.

Not to mention it really plays no part of this current group.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.