main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MGS2:Substance

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by pat-fett, Jul 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    This isn't your everyday lame port of the same game to another console. This is like the ultimate edition of a dvd with all the bells and whistles. It can almost be called a sequel.

For the uninformed I'll list all the features of this version of MGS2.

At the heart of this version is orginal game that inspired this version. By itself the Tanker and Big Shell missions are a marvel and a rich deep story keeps you coming back for more.

Now this is where Substance gets interesting. On top of the original game you get 200+ VR missions. Count them 200+!! Think of how many hours of gaming that is! One mission even has you in a situation where the soliders are as big as godizela(SP?),with scales to boot.

That's only the tip of the iceberg. You can also play though the game as Snake,or with Radien on the tanker. The voice actors even recorded new dialog to make this make sense. For those that played the original you know what I'm talking about.

The game features a skate boarding mode for all those extreme sports fans. All I can say is going off quarterpipes on the Big Shell sounds fine to me.

Another cool extra is that the game will offer some skins to play though the game as. So far the known skins are Plikin,Snake in a Tuxedo, Orignal MGS Snake, and my fav. Ninja.

This next feature IMO sounds like the best. The game will offer a boss battle mode where you face off against the new and ,even better, classic bosses. Expect to see old favs like Psycho Mantis,Sniper Wolf,and Vulcan Raven.

Another sweet bounus is five all new Snake missions that tell an all new story with all new cinematic endings. I've also read that there will be some bosses from past MG games.

A super challenging european mode is added besides the extreme difficult mode, which was taxing enough for any gamer.

To top it all off we get improved graphics with some bump mapping.

Expect to see the game in the fall for X-box with the PS2 and PC versions to follow as late as mid-summer.

At fist I had no interest in this game as I have the orignal MGS2. After reading about all these cool features I will get this game. I mean the snake missions alone sold me.

2. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    3 words...I. Can't. Wait. :) :D :) :D

3. Kenobi217

Kenobi217 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2002
    Gonna be cool..all you guys with an X-box are lucky. I think I'll probably pick it up, even though I already have MGS2.

Along other lines, I really, really hope they make the VR missions worthwhile..you might not doubt it, but look at Metal Gear Solid: The VR Missions. That game was pretty much regarded as a flop. But the Snake Missions sound good. The boss mode sounds cool too. You might not have known, but in the japanese version of MGS2, there was an extra feature, I think called "Cinema mode," where you could substitute any characters into any cutscene..so for those of you who played the game, think of the cutscene with Olga, but instead of Olga, you could replace her with Otacon, or even with Snake from the first game. Pretty cool, if you ask me.

4. WindexedStormtrooper

WindexedStormtrooper Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Oh man. I read about this game and wrote it off as just an upgraded VR-mission game. Does it actually include the PS2 MGS2 game in it's entirety???

5. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    Kenobi I agree with you about the original VR missions. Luckly I got MGS when it was a greatest hit PS1 game so the missions came with the game.

Windexed yes everything I posted above comes from the X-box official mag.

6. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    One thing I bet this game will have is a ton of Easter eggs. The orignal game had some good ones.

7. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    This next feature IMO sounds like the best. The game will offer a boss battle mode where you face off against the new and ,even better, classic bosses. Expect to see old favs like Psycho Mantis,Sniper Wolf,and Vulcan Raven.

Perhaps even Big Boss and Gray Fox in the first two games.

8. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    I'm thinking we will see them in the Snake missions. What I read said that there will be characters from past MG games,not MGS.

9. itchytheuglywookie

itchytheuglywookie Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2002
    Its about time we got to play a little more as Snake. Now, if only we could get Emma as a playable character.................

10. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Simply a juiced up version of MGS2 for X-Box which is destined to disappoint.

11. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    Simply a juiced up version of MGS2 for X-Box which is destined to disappoint.

Wow, then MGS2 itself must've been disappointing. Considering this is the basic MGS2 with way more options, I cannot see how it could be "disappointing" unless its source material sucked to begin with.

12. portman_is_so_fine

portman_is_so_fine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    splinter cell is gonna be better methinks

13. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    I loved the orignal and think all the extras are well worh another purchase.

14. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Yeah, that's sure !

If you haven't checked it out yet, check the E3 footage, and see why it's gonna rule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.