main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Michael Arndts script and the direction it would have went in.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sith-Mullet, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
  2. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    How cute! Han and Luke adopting kids together. :p

The original title of the article was Luke and Leia's kids... the comment section exploded as a result about incest babies [face_laugh]

3. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Well, there is precedent for that....

Dra--- and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  4. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    This is just a re-write of yesterday's news. Dang, my expectations for new tidbits instantly skyrocketed yesterday.

Mystery Roach and Ryus like this.
  5. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    This is why Michael Ardnt isn't involved any more.

JediKnightOB1, Odolwa and Ryus like this.
  6. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I watched half of Oblivion - can I have an opinion?

7. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    On the basis of their past work, I trust Arndt more than Abrams. On the basis of what little we've heard about their ideas for Episode VII, I still trust Arndt over Abrams.

8. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    So Arndt was writing the script based on a GL penned story.... the way the story was supposed to be....

But now we're basically getting an Abrams story.

Oh dear

Blip and Tan-Wessel like this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  10. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    What was this I read that Lucas acquiesced to Abrams and KK?

So Arndt wrote based on Lucas' story, Abrams changed it, and Lucas surrendered to Abrams re-write because he has no say?

I hope we someday get to see Lucas' and Arndt's story in one form or another.

11. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think it's possible that the heart of the story, the plot and situations, are still strongly based on Lucas' and Arndt's work - which gives me hope that the film may not be a total loss. However I think that making the 'big 3' the leads in Ep VII, and then relegating them to supporting roles in Ep VIII and IX, can only diminish the overall story. Either have the balls to make Luke, Leia and Solo the lead characters of the entire ST (which I don't have a problem with), or let the new characters be the driving force of the ST (which I also don't have a problem with). Sounds like Abrams wants to have his cake and eat it too... which is further testament to the mans inability to be truly creative and original in cinema.

12. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998

Love Abrams work, but this is spot on. Have some stones and make a choice... either stick with the Big 3 throughout or go with the new kids. This route only diminishes the role the new characters will play in the ST.

Yancy

Tan-Wessel, Darth Raiden and Darth PJ like this.
  13. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I would just suggest that everyone who thinks that script reworks are the portents of uncompromising doom take a look at Rinzler's The Making of Star Wars. It gives you very nice insight into all the rewrites that went into making ANH and how radically different it was in the end than what was the "original idea" - and in the end was better for it. Speculation is all nice and fine, but the reality of the situation is that we have absolutely nothing to base any concrete assumptions about what's going on behind the scenes. Script rewrites are a normal part of the creative process and in the end all that matters is the execution. What may not sound too great on a fan message board may work very well in the final product, and vice versa.

14. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I wouldn't put too much value on what random news reports say. If you go back to the first rumours that popped up, the general theme was that Arndt and Abrams disagreed on the direction they wanted to go and Lucas ended up agreeing with Abrams. That is pretty much the opposite of what the current report says. It's kind of moot to speculate on something like that, because none of the people who report things like that were actually there. It's impossible for them to know whether Lucas agreed whole-heartily with Abrams or merely said do whatever you like. It's all hearsay around three corners that one person interpretes one way, and another one the complete opposite way.

15. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    =D= Exactly!!! Not just ANH but TESB and RotJ as well. All benifitted from the rewrites. Is TESB a better movie because it focussed more on Luke's training and confrontation with Vader than Han running across his step dad? Absolutely it is.

The point is both were based on the same treatments/ideas and focused on completely different things.

Same with what we have here. Both Arndt and JJ/Kasdan writing their scripts based on a GL penned story. They just chose to focus on different things to tell the story.

I'll take JJ/Kasdan's version any day. Looks like KK agress. As does Lucas.

Keep in mind that Jett Lucas said GL and JJ were in contact daily and there are pictures of GL, KK, and JJ in meetings, and I think it is clear that GL and JJ are on the same page.

Six and Ryus like this.
  16. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    How many cocktails is GL getting fed daily? I agree to anything when I'm hammered.

Well, not anything but you get my point hopefully.

17. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Yeah we already have a thread for this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.