main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Michael Jackson, 1958-2009.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Agent M, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    [​IMG]

2. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    i love michael jackson.

3. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Too bad he was just a dirty thief:

4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    lol he got dance moves from bob fosse? how unique that makes him in the late twentieth century, or in the tradition of dance for that matter, where everyone else comes up with completely unique moves that have never been done before. what a thief. thanks culture experts at cracked dot com for exposing this horrible secret.

JEDI-RISING likes this.
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  6. solo77

Aug 28, 2002

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    For the longest time I didn't think much of Jackson either way, other than for his music, for which I hadn't listened to in years.

Then he died, I went home(this was late at night, news had just broke while I was a work), got on youtube and watched a **** load of Michael Jackson music videos. Bet I watched the smooth criminal music video a hundred times that night. Then I downloaded some of his songs on my i-pod.

I did tears.

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I sort of regret not trying to get tickets for his memorial service at the Staples Center... would have such a surreal, absurd experience.

9. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
  10. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    h8r boi.

11. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Never! Just watched this the other day and thought it was pretty funny.

I'm actually a huge fan of his music, unfortunately to me his reputation went down the gurgler. Whether any of it was true or not who knows, as they say mud sticks...

Violent Violet Menace and jp-30 like this.
  12. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    RIP M.J. Big fan here; I'm an '80's kid, so grew up listening to his music back in the day. I'll also always remember seeing the iconic "Thriller" video back around early '84, and thinking it was one of the coolest things ever - it still holds up even today.

Summer 2009 was a bad one for celebrity deaths. MJ, Farrah Fawcett, & David Carradine all passed away that summer....

13. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    Here's what I typed for my Facebook page, about the anniversary...

"Six years ago today, a musician favored by millions around the world tragically lost his life to a drug overdose. More importantly, three children lost a father, eight siblings a brother, two parents a son...and many more a friend.
    Whether you deem his passing an accident or murder, it doesn't change the outcome, or the effect those closest to him likely still feel. By most accounts, he was a great humanitarian, incredible dancer, brilliant composer, and skilled lyricist. His work set a very high mark for others in his profession, such as Justin Timberlake, Chris Brown, and Usher. His sense of fashion became an icon in its own right, and one particular dance move was popularized like crazy. They called him the "King of Pop", but my main hope is he's at peace now, with the one true King of all kings...Jesus Christ.
    I've enjoyed his music since I was eight years old, and will continue that in his memory. I never met him personally, but his passing truly made me feel like I'd lost a friend, too. Michael Joseph Jackson...you are still missed."

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Did you also post a crudely photoshopped picture of Jacko surrounded by angels with a caption in Comic Sans reading something like "Micheal, you're music will never dye"?

harpua and Point Given like this.
  15. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    No, wiseass; I simply wanted to write something that was actually respectful. I was bothered by the accusations, like most people...but I didn't condemn him, either. For a long time, I didn't know what to think...but when he was acquitted on all 14 counts in 2005, I was relieved. After that, I started reading up on the original 1993 case, and also devoured Aphrodite Jones' book on the second one. The facts simply didn't match up, with all the remarks being thrown around. More recently, I finished reading Frank Cascio's book, too...and that provided a lot of insight. Now, I honestly think Michael was one of the most widely-misunderstood entertainers who ever lived. His lifestyle was odd compared to most, for sure...but that didn't mean he was a predator.

16. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Nothing suspicious about the kids that got paid (off)?

All charges dropped etc... but regardless of how good his music was (opinions differ) there is something off about the guy.

17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Settlements tend to be cheaper than a long court battle and they avoid potentially embarrassing things being put into the public record even if the defendant is innocent. Plus civil cases have a lower standard for conviction. I don't think the fact that a big celebrity settled a lawsuit necessarily indicates anything. I say this as someone who wouldn't be shocked if Jackson did molest or at least act extremely inappropriately with children.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  18. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    I'm only aware of one, and that was Jordy Chandler back in '93. Michael helped out Gavin Arvizo and his family, because the boy had cancer...but he hadn't seen him in at least a year prior to Martin Bashir's trash piece. Thankfully, he was smart enough to have his own camera crew backing up those interviews, releasing them with the proper context in a second TV special. If you really want the facts, I would strongly recommend Aphrodite Jones' book "Michael Jackson Conspiracy". Most of the material's directly lifted from court transcripts and recorded interviews, plus the author's open admission of thinking MJ was guilty in the beginning.

His life is a classic example of the reverse "man to boy" path, since so much of his innocence during childhood was taken away. His father Joe had all the boys (except Randy, who would join later) practicing every day, plus school and late-night stage shows. They'd finish their days around 4 AM, sleep a few hours, then start everything all over again. It wasn't until he was 11 that the Jackson Five got signed to Motown, and relentless pacing was even more the norm for a while after that. When he finally became an adult, he strived to recreate what he'd never had as a kid, and isolated himself because the pressure became too intense. By that point, even quitting the industry wouldn't have solved anything; he'd still be hounded every day. So, he did what he could to make the best of it. His main flaw, in my opinion, was simply trusting the wrong people too often, and being afraid of confrontation. He rarely lost his temper, but when he did, it burst out in full force. Just listen to songs like "Scream", "D.S.", or "Privacy".

19. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    I was with you until your last sentence; I'd have been horrified if it had turned out he was guilty.

20. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    and his music.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Has anyone seen This is It?

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  22. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    No, but I've got the soundtrack on my iPod. :p

23. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

I saw it. I thought it was pretty good. I like the old MJ stuff, but my favorite song of his is They Don't Care About Us. On a separate topic, I agree with Aphrodite Jones' assessment of Jackson.

24. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    Have you read her book? She starts out describing how she originally believed he was guilty, then was granted access to the court documents in 2006. "Conspiracy" was published in 2007, but she had to do it herself because, and I quote: "No one wanted a pro-Jackson book". A revised edition adding chapters for his last years was released in paperback form, in 2012.

25. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Maybe when you wall yourself away from the world and surround yourself with sycophants and gold diggers the rest of the world turns on you.