main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Michael Kaplan joins Episode 7 production

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by The Hellhammer, May 19, 2013.

1. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    These new Klingons look badass.

El_Machete12 and Dr. Chaos like this.
  2. Dr. Chaos

Dr. Chaos Jedi Padawan star 1

May 19, 2013
    That armor/uniform they wear is actually pretty cool. I like the updated version of the klingons (and I have never liked the klingons). They look abit tougher now than they did before.

3. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    ;)[/quote]

I guess we can expect a lot of leather jackets!

It's purely a matter of personal taste but I like elaborate costumes.

4. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    What about flannel shirts? I'm shocked we didn't see those at any time in the Star Wars universe considering it's creator.

5. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Whats interesting is that if you go look some of the early Coruscant drawings from Ralph McQuarrie. The look of the citizens is almost neo noir. Lots of trench coats and fedoras and the such. The residents looked like they were a product of the art deco influenced city.

Very different from what we actually got in the prequels.

6. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    No Trisha Biggar? :(

Oh, well. The style of costumes in the OT was way different than in the PT, so I guess the ST can be different from either of them. I personally wouldn't mind a bunch of utility outfits like jumpsuits, cargo pants, and various jackets and vests. Just keep the Jedi in robes and I'll be OK with it. :)

7. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013
    Like this?

[​IMG]

CaptainHamYoyo likes this.
  8. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Yes, the "black person with head cancer" approach is very novel.

9. Evil--Yoda

Evil--Yoda Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 11, 2012
    The sort of person who is jumping up and down about the costume guy chosen like some people are doing is probably not going to enjoy this movie..... no matter what....

NoChesterHester likes this.
  10. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Wow...we're getting pissed off over costume designers. God help us when we get to actual castings ;)

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh goodness I am so excited and am now 96% sure I will go the midnight showing just for this reason!!

12. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    More than anything: Whoever they pick for production designer is going to be huge. I hated Doug Chiang's designs for the prequels.

They need to bring in someone who has at least has some appreciation for mechanical engineering. I credit a lot of Ralph McQuarrie's design work from his experience with Boeing. Chiang's work, on the other hand, was way too abstract and sleek.

The new trilogy doesn't have to look exactly the same as the OT. But, it needs to at least share its design philosophy.

Han Yolo, fishtailsam and Rawne like this.
  13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Heh, heh. :)

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  14. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Damn right. Now if they will just get Rutger Hauer as the main villain, we're set. Oh, he's a repli...I mean, clone.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    You mean conceptual design supervisor. That was Chiang on Eppys 1 and 2. Ian McCaig was Eppy 3(with Ryan Church). David Tattersall was the production designer on all three.

16. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Rutger Hauer for any character!

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  18. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Ben Burtt and Matthew Wood did the sound for Star Trek: Into Darkness as well.

19. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I just saw Into Darkness today and honestly the first thing I said to my roommate who went with me was: "I loved the costumes, I want marry the costumer and have beautifully costumed babies with the costumer." So needless to say, this news excites me to no end!!

All the costumes from Into Darkness were fantastic! Granted there was nothing flashy and super elaborate, but they shouldn't have been. Comparing Padme's costumes to the Into Darkness costumes is like comparing apples to oranges.
    I think they stayed true to the original series while still having a more modern-ish feel.

[​IMG]

The dress uniforms looked very Imperial
    [​IMG]

The away mission costumes (I think that's when they were used) that had a little window with their uniform was really pretty cool. I though this was much more practical than their usual bridge uniforms for going into the unknown, but it still gives a nod to their position.
    [​IMG]

Again, same kind of thing here... something practical for what they were doing but still a nod to their uniform colors.

[​IMG]

Grimby likes this.
  20. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Less flashy/elaborate and more functional is the way to go, IMO.

21. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I liked all of the costumes except for this...
    [​IMG]

A little too Next Generationy for my tastes.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope Peter Weller is in Episode VII too, and then midway through filming his face completely melts off.

23. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Ok yeah, I agree I wasn't a huge fan of those, but it didn't completely pull me out of it either.

I am really excited to see how Kaplan interpenetrates Star Wars while hopefully keeping the already established feel.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    One thing that stands out to me for his Trek costume design are how the shirts look like the old TOS shirts but they have a unique and interesting pattern, they're really shiny! (the black undershirt is just one of those cool ideas that you can extrapolate from the original TOS uniform designs but isn't beholden to it). Also those Klingon designs look like something they would wear but not a retread of the pointy leather fetishist that the Klingons have been rockin' in Trek since the mid 80s in "Search for Spock". Also they still have the classic Klingon insigna on them. So overall with his designs, you can see aspects of what has come in the past but not to the point of just copy & paste.

I'll give him a mulligan for the shirts the crewmembers of the Vengence were wearing. Those were just eyesores.

25. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Utilty? Didn't know ultra rich queens and kings did that. Oh yeah. They don't.

DarthBoba and themetresgained like this.