main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Michael Moore - Bowling for Loudmouths!

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by LORDPARSEC, Mar 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm all for people being able to express their viewpoint. It's what this nation was founded upon, and it continues to be a cornerstone of who we are.

It should just be done in an appropriate time and place.

2. sideshow212

sideshow212 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    first off, i want to express my gratitude that this touchy subject is being handled 'extremely' well in this thread, thank you guys! :)

most of you know, that yes, i do support our troops. i believe in what were doing and i think that even though war does suck, it will be to the benifit of the iraqi people as well as us americans to remove saddam from power.
    i agree that as americans, anti-war protestors have the right to express their opinions about the war. however, when these people go around saying they want 'peace' then turn violent, destroying property and injuring police and innocent bystanders it really angers me.
    the war protestors think that they are the 'voice' of the people, when actually they are in the minority. only about 33% of americans oppose the war. most of the people who support the war are those who are going to work or school and not causing problems for the local police.
    the media, as i have said before, will always find the loudest, most outrageous people to show on television. so most people only see the protestors and never see the majority of us who support our president because were to busy living our lives.
    so i guess i dont really have a problem with protestors, as long as they keep things civil.

3. LORDPARSEC

LORDPARSEC Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I agree with Jedi Wendy... Harrison Ford is Cool! :D

PS. I support our troops. But even more so, want this all to be over so we can get our boys and girls back home. And I'm also with Sideshow on this one. I thought this thread might get out of hand. Thanks for keeping your cool gang! You're all the best. :D

4. Sistine

Sistine Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    That was a good movie...

I fly the Red, White and Blue on my car and the balcony of my apartment. Some of my friends here do not understand why. I do it to support those men and women who have decided to make defending this nation their full-time and part-time jobs. I live within throwing distance of M.A.S. Miramar. The sounds of the jets and helicopters fill my everyday life and have since I was a child. I grew up on that base because of my stepfather and if the man taught me one thing it was to respect those who wear a uniform for they have a job to do.

I do not like this war, I do not like any war however I have come to grasp that some things are unavoidable. I dislike the thoughts of people dying while they are hiding in their homes. The causalities of war are the images burned into the eyes of the children who have to live through such things. But what of those who watched the towers fall on 9-11? Was their ?innocence? expendable because they live in America and watch such explosions on the big screen while eating popcorn?

I wish we could only attack and destroy those who oppress the innocent but we cannot. If this effort was merely being taken on by America then perhaps I would be a little more negative. However seeing other countries there with us as we stand as a Unified force and saying, ?No! We are not going to put up with your **** anymore? gives me hope.

I give my respect and honor to all of those Men and Women who woke up today in a country far from their families and homes to fight for world peace.

5. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    It's interesting what you said about the protesters undermining their own cause--disrupting traffic and rioting all in the name of peace--I think it is too bad. I haven't exactly made up my mind about the war itself, but I support the troops, and I am concerned for Iraqi civilians.

I don't mind the protests personally, as long as it doesn't inconvenience me. I would really like to see them give their cause a bit more meaning beyond the simple anti-war rhetoric. Pro-War politicians have painstakingly thought out and presented their arguement for why we should conduct this war, I would really like to see anti-war advocates present a case that solves the problems we are facing. I am not being sarcastic either, I really would like anti-war protesters to offer solutions to the problems without fighting.

That is why I was really disappointed by the oil rhetoric, it really struck me as unimaginative, and hurt their credibility; I was hoping they would try to develope well thought out arguements that would be worth listening too.

It reminds me a little of some of those fire and brimstone preachers that occasionally show up at ASU. A lot of people like to gather around for the spectacle, but I sometimes go over to listen because I am curious to see if they really want to help people spiritually. Mostly they seem to like belittling and condemning people for being unrighteous.

BTW, I am not grouping anti-war protests with fire and brimstone preachers together, they are just examples of what I think to be a good causes; but the execution leaves a bit to be desired.

Wow, I didn't mean to ramble that much. I hope I am somewhat coherent!

6. TyriaTainer

TyriaTainer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    you made sense to me

i agree with you on the anti-war people. i took the history of war this past quarter and my teacher wanted to make sure we got both sides of the story, which was really cool of him. anyway the guy did not say anything that made me sit and think, hmmmm he's got a good point there. in fact he said something against 9-11 and that got the entire class against him.

IA, thank you soooo much. thats pricely the quote i was grasping for. now all i have to do is fine some paper and write it down.

7. sideshow212

sideshow212 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    duguay:
    i agree, most anti-war protestors have no clue why were fighting.
    oil? yea right. the current market value for crude oil is about $40 a drum. if we took every drop of oil iraq has in stock it would add up to about $35 bil. were spending twice that just on the war! not to mention the 'oil for food' program that will funnel most of the oil money right back to the starving populace of iraq.
    'no blood for oil' seems to be the battle cry of the uninformed...
    not all, but most of these protestors are just people who want to stick it to the man; anarchists, dissidents, and generally people with nothing better to do that act shiek by protesting the govenment like the hippies of the 70's.
    i respect people that state their opinion eloquently and intelligently. when people begin to block ambulances and throw acid at police officers, as has been reported in portland, any inkling of a peaceful message is lost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.