main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mickey Mouse in

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by bdav_starwars, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    You dont pay 4 Billion Dollars for a company that doesn't know what they are doing. Lucas' treatments were a mandatory part of the deal, which covers the major points of the story.

Disney owns the company that is making the ST. George Lucas, like it or not, already made the big decisions about the story. Micheal Arndt, along with Kasdan's input, will smooth out the bumps. Kathy Kennedy is running the show more than anyone else.

2. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    oh man I was taking bets on which mod moved it over here,

I betted darth boba :(

Zapdos likes this.
  3. lbr789

lbr789 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    You beat me to it. ;)

4. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    The initial humor of SW/Disney fairytales was much appreciated, BUT, even if Disney writes Ep 7, they aren't going to put characters in from other movies. Was Mickey Mouse one of the avengers ? No. Mickey Mouse does Mickey Mouse, Luke Skywalker does Luke Skywalker.

5. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Sure you do. In fact, often you go out of your way to do that. The best companies to buy are ones that have some fundamentally sound core asset but have been mismanaged for a while. That way, you can pick up an asset that you can make something out of for a bargain price (and yes, 4 billion dollars is a bargain for Star Wars and Indiana Jones). That's what Disney did with Marvel, that's what they did with Lucasfilm, and many of the companies that are rumored to be on the short list for acquisition by Disney fall into the same category.

Mandatory as in legally binding? Do you have a source for that?

Besides, I have no doubt they will use his ideas as the vague outline of the story. But nothing more.

And Disney is... what, going to have no more involvement than popping their head in every so often and asking how things are going? Anyone who believes that is in a "Magic Kingdom" all their own. Disney is going to control every single aspect of this. There won't be a single pixel on the screen in Episode VII that Bob Iger didn't personally approve.

Yeah, he made a lot of big decisions about Clone Wars, Detours, and 1313, too. How's that going?

6. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    ....but they own Lucasfilm???? How can they not be in charge

7. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    Of course they will oversee things, and would have veto power, but they are not going to micro-manage Kennedy, and because GL's treatments were part of the deal, they are not going to force alterations to the core of the story. Might they ask for certain change? Sure. Will they get them? Sure. But they are not going to trample what they agreed to from the start.

Lucas refused to even show them the treaments before the sale. He only did so after seeing, in writting, that they would be honored. The sale would not have happened if use of his story was not part of the agreement.

I'm not saying that Disney is powerless here, obviously thats not the case, but they purchased Lucasfilm knowing what the story of the ST would be, approved of it, and areed to make those films.

When I say they are not in charge og the story, this is what I mean.

Example:
    Disney might say "We want you to ake out the part where such and such happens....." and they will get their way.

If GL's treatment has Plageuis as the villain in a planned out story arc that connects the PT to the OT to the ST, Disney will not come in and say "OK, know that we own this joint, throw those GL notes out the window and use this instead......"

Lucas sold to Disney to preserve HIS Star Wars. That was the whole point. And Disney agreed.

They are not going to meddle.

8. RebelBird631

RebelBird631 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2013
    Wow...just...wow. If you really think that Lucasfilm is gonna put Disney chracters in future star wars films then you're crazy. Like other people said, the only thing Disney has are the rights. They own Lucasfilm now... same situation with Marvel. Did you see Donald Duck in the Avengers?? No. Look at all the other things Disney owns. ESPN...you don't see Pluto doing commentary on Sportscenter do you?? No.. Disney is cashing in on a hell of an oppurtunity. To bring back Star Wars, make money off future films, merchandise, and expand it on everything they already have in the parks. For them, its a no brainer and it makes sense. Lastly, I don't see your logic in droids being homosexuals. What inuendos did they display that would give you any idea of their sexual orientations?

Aaronaman likes this.
  9. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    I agree with you....I don't think Disney will make any drastic changes in fear of loosing a large chunk of their fan base.

10. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    They are smarter tha that.:)

Aaronaman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.