main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Micro-series vs. TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Saga_Symphony, Nov 14, 2012.

?

Which Clone Wars show do you like better?

1. Clone Wars (2003)

115 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. The Clone Wars (2008)

212 vote(s)
    64.8%
  1. Delta289

Delta289 Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2013

For your run time complaint the only rebuttal i can offer is a quote from Yoda "Size Matters Not". Just because something is bigger or longer, doesn't make it better. Genndy didn't choose the run time of the show, it was Cartoon Network who did, and when they saw the positive reception it got from the fans, in the last season they were granted 5 twenty minute episodes, If he had it his way, we'd see a show the span of TCW.

Emotional Attachment: This goes with the length of the series, Genndy did not have as much time as he wanted and if he did, he would be fully capable of making you care about even the most insignificant of characters (any fellow Samurai Jack fans will agree). But he did get the main stuff down with the time that he was given: Anakin's evolution from a whiny brat to a less whiny war hero, the establishment of a brother relationship between Anakin and obi-wan after his knighting, and frequently references the secret marriage of Padme and Anakin (even goes as far as to hint at the conception of Luke and Liea) Making a great lead in to ROTS. I seriously recommend watching AOTC, then CW then ROTS on a day when your bored and have nothing else to do. syncs perfectly, cant do that with TCW though, too many inconsistencies and time jumps.

OP Characters: Durge is awesome, he nearly whipped out the Gungan race and they had to push him into Maramere's sun to finally kill him. The worst thing Cad Bane had ever done was steal babies. As for Mace Windu; hes Motherf***ing Samuel L Jackson: deal with it *insert sunglasses on Mace Windu here*. Grievous in TCW was not the "fearsome military commander" you think you saw in the series, he was portrayed as a coward, a common cereal villain who tied the proverbial damsel to the railroad tracks and then running away when his ill thought out plan had been foiled. George wanted this, he actually had to tell Genndy to dial back grevious a bit after the airing of chapters 20 and 21. In the original series we do see Grievous as a capable warrior but more of a strategic genius then TCW ever portrayed him. In chapter 22 or 23, I cant remember witch, we see a montage of the CIS capturing multiple Republic and neutral worlds, informing the audience that for every 1 planet the Republic liberates, 3 more fall to the CIS.

CW Grievous:
    "The strategy is working perfectly my lord. The Jedi and their forces are stretched thin across the outer rim worlds, in a vain attempt to contain our new offensive. The unsuspecting fools know not what awaits..."- General Grievous in Chapters 22 or 23 (I cant remember which)

TCW Grievous
    "Cough Cough, Curse you Kenobi! I'll get you next time! Cough Cough" *flies away in shuttle* -General Grievous (not an actual quote from TCW but you get where I'm going with this)

My point is, don't rip on Genndy's series because he pretty much got the sucky end of the deal. Genndy is like Nikola Tesla and Dave is like Thomas Edison. Tesla invents all this awesome stuff but in the end, gets screwed over by Edison. History ends up remembering Edison but not Tesla, and its quite sad.

Heero_Yuy and spicer like this.
  2. Delta289

Delta289 Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2013

Yeah you gotta give the author credit for at least attempting to make sense of all of it. Doesn't justify why it had to be done though. Anyways, thanks.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  3. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Very well and fairly said.

4. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    The micro-series I like better, but TCW was much better done. I cannot sit still for TCW in maybe 1/4 of those boring episodes with politicians, boring droids, Padme-centric episodes, etc. The microseries was still very well done, as it was exciting all the time. You need plot development, but I think TCW went too far and didn't have enough action. Sure, everyone is overpowered, but that's all part of the fun.

Contessa and Force Smuggler like this.
  5. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    I tend to think of them as equal as far as how they relate to the overall saga. Where the first part of CW ends TCW picks up and then CW picks back up and leads into EP III. I look at them both as part of the story. (Sorry if this is a repost)

Seerow likes this.
  6. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Agreed, exactly.

Darth Kickass likes this.
  7. TheMDOSS1313

TheMDOSS1313 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 8, 2013
    I enjoy TCW series more than Genndy series but I liked Genndy's a lot too. There are things that one did better than the other but both were excellent.

-It felt like Genndy picked up exactly after Ep.II, unlike TCW. That was good.
    -TCW showed us that clones weren't as expendable as they first seemed, Genndy never showed that.
    -Genndy's series felt more focused than TCW. (At least to me it did.)
    -Grievous was much better in Genndy CW. (Even if I don't like the origin of his cough.)
    -I feel that TCW voice acting is much better.
    -I also feel that TCW animation makes it easier to take seriously and the scaled back Jedi abilities are easier to stomach.
    -Genndy never made stupid episodes like the WAC and Gascon ones.
    -Genndy also had the advantage of being able to finish the series.(Not TCW fault but we won't see the intended ending sadly:_|)
    -But TCW had the advantage that it had longer episodes and more seasons.

Thankfully though like Darth Kickass sayed, where one ended the other picked up. So I guess all is not lost?

Of course these are just my opinions (no flame war required;))
    Though I do wanna hear some counterclaims to what I said, This is a subject I'm pretty open minded about and do a GL and change my mind often.

AshiusX, Dark Lord Tarkas and Seerow like this.
  8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Nah, I think you hit all the right points. Each series really had a unique role to play and both served their respective functions well. They both had highs and lows, pluses and minuses.

No counterclaim, but I'd add that Genndy's series not only felt like it picked up right after AOTC, but explicitly led into ROTS as well. Though I will say that TCW was a better bridge between the two movies, especially in terms of building Anakin's character.

eht13, Seerow, 07jonesj and 2 others like this.
  9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I would have the liked the microseries much better if everyone wasn't so god danged overpowered

TheMDOSS1313 likes this.
  10. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I would have liked TCW much better if Ahsoka wasn't so god danged overpowered.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Exactly. At least everyone being overpowered was consistent as opposed to writer favoritism towards one character.

12. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    As a huge fan of the micro-series, I must admit the Force powers were a bit over the top, but they sure were exciting to watch.

However the TCW really dropped the ball for me in depicting the scale and destruction of a full on galactic war between two major powers. Then there is the fecklessness of the TCW villains to consider as well. In my opinion the TCW had story elements that were vastly under powered.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The villains certainly were.

14. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Microseries wins in my book. TCW was pretty good, but with just a fraction of the time, the microseries told a more consistent story (and was more consistent with episode quality) spanning the length of the war.

15. BobaFan101

BobaFan101 Jedi Padawan

Dec 3, 2013
    Personally I'm really sick of hearing the CW/TCW grievous debate.
    Almost everyone agrees that CW Grievous is better, but that's not what ROTS gave us.
    Go and watch CW then follow it up with ROTS, it makes no sense. He's a badass Jedi killing machine, but then in ROTS, Grievous is a coward with mace even saying "Grievous will run and hide as he always does" this sounds to me like TCW Grievous. So enough of the whole "TCW butchered Grievous" TCW had a more accurate depiction of him. And while I like CWs better. That's not what Lucas gave us.

16. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    ^The crew consulted Lucas about how to handle Grievous, but he kept changing his mind about the character being a cliche coward or a badass Jedi killer. So not really the micro-series' fault.

17. BobaFan101

BobaFan101 Jedi Padawan

Dec 3, 2013
    I don't think it was CW fault, but the broad statement of "TCW ruined Grievous" is just a childish false statement. Many use to bash TCW when they don't have reasons for not liking it

cwustudent and Dinos4Ever like this.
  18. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Well, you can't say TCW didn't have enough time to at least make Grievous seem worthy of his position.

Zeta1127, spicer, Contessa and 2 others like this.
  19. BobaFan101

BobaFan101 Jedi Padawan

Dec 3, 2013
    Agreed, but they definitely didnt ruin him.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'd say that Grievous being portrayed as a clichéd coward is a pretty valid complaint among people who didn't want him portrayed as a clichéd coward.

And Lucas changing his mind all the time drove a lot of people insane.

21. BobaFan101

BobaFan101 Jedi Padawan

Dec 3, 2013
    Both have their ups and downs. On vacation right now, but once I get back ill watch AOTC CW ROTS trilogy.
    CW is a nice bridge between the two movies.
    But TCW has a lot of great storylines that make anakins fall and order 66 more depth
    Not to mention Savage, Bo Katan, Cad band and many more great characters introduced.
    It would be hard for me not to count that as cannon

22. Darth Kickass

Aug 3, 2013
    I was watching "Revival" earlier and saw Obi-Wan make a force jump away from Savage and Maul that made me think of the "CW Jedi's powers are exaggerated" argument. That jump had to be 100 yds. Just saying.....

23. BobaFan101

BobaFan101 Jedi Padawan

Dec 3, 2013
    Have you watched ROTS when Obi wan jumps down to fight Grievous. Jedi are known for that.
    Jedi jumping far is nothing compared to Windu force punching an army of SBD

24. Darth Kickass

Aug 3, 2013
    I would actually consider that to be a controlled fall rather than a jump, the difference being one is vertical while the other was horizontal.

25. Manny Bothans

Manny Bothans Jedi Master star 1

Jun 12, 2013
    I know that the micro series is no longer considered "official G or even C canon", while the new series is. But does anyone else feel that without the micro series, a lot of important moments are skipped over story wise? If someone was to über marathon "canon Star Wars" and went straight from AOTC to The Clone Wars to ROTS, there would be no on-screen intoduction to Ventress (she would just appear in Hidden Enemy without any explanation as to who she is and why Obi Wan and Anakin know her so well). We wouldn't see C3P0 get his gold plating. We wouldn't see Padme give R2 to Anakin. We wouldn't see Anakin get knighted.

All of these things seem like important moments that Lucas and Filoni didn't touch on because at the time they must have thought "been there, done that". But now that the micro series has been swept under the canon rug, and Lucasfilm probably doesn't recognize it as "something that happened" does there feel like there is a big chunk of story missing to anyone else? Does anyone else feel like the micro series needs to be included into any Star Wars marathon in order to complete the saga?

cwustudent likes this.