main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Micro-series vs. TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Saga_Symphony, Nov 14, 2012.

?

Which Clone Wars show do you like better?

1. Clone Wars (2003)

115 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. The Clone Wars (2008)

212 vote(s)
    64.8%
  1. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Thank you Coric you made my day!

[:D]

You are correct sir.
    The latest TCW arc uses more The Force than the entire last season of episodes has.

2. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I'm taking a break from a first-time watch-through of The Clone Wars to check out some of the chapters in the micro-series, and I have to say that I'm less than impressed - thus far - with the latter, which is rather sad given that there are some gaps in the story in relation to AotC and TCW - especially if you're experiencing TCW chronologically - that can only be filled by the micro-series.

3. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Micro-series for me.

To be honest, I don't think TCW is deep, has action with purpose or is cohesive with the films like you make it out to be. The micro-series literally ended upon the begininng of RotS, explaining Palpatine's capture and the whole situation, something you purposely neglected to mention as it doesn't suit your point; the micro-series is cohesive with the films.

AusStig and Lady_Skywalker87 like this.
  4. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I like them both to an extent. I also think with a little work both could work in the same universe. Here are my reasons to like each show

Micro-Series: I will tell you I like this one way better. The way the episodes are tiny and add little to the story but after awhile you bigger chunks all come together and make sense. But the action was not very cheesy. Grievous on Hypori show how scared we all need to be of him (something TCW has not done) and Datooine was just a Jedi Master as they should be, a hero. Plus it fit into the PT better.

The Clone Wars: I like the drama that has found TCW in the past few seasons but it ruins my canon!

AusStig likes this.
  5. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    They're different, both held different appeals for me yet never quite satisfied any kind of craving I had for Clone Wars related media.

The microseries I thought was more visually stunning and consisted of heavy action with minimal dialogue. Giving such short tastes of the Clone Wars was effective for hyping up ROTS for me, since it just left me wanting more and more and more. But that also was a problem in that while it was exciting while it lasted, I was left wanting more and hoping that we would eventually get full half-hour episodes. It appealed to my desire to see the action-heavy side of Star Wars, but the short duration and lack of really fleshing out the war was disappointing.

And the over-the-top Force feats, while making the show visually exciting, also made it impossible for me to accept that it was part of the film continuity.

Also, I liked the 2D. There's nothing inherently better about 3D models. If you're Pixar and can throw millions of dollars at a movie and make it look gorgeous, then 3D can be beautiful. But with how much Lucas likes to "experiment," I don't think he was doing Star Wars any favors in trying to have an ambitious series done on a TV show budget and using Star Wars as a guinea pig. The animation has gotten better. But a lot of the time I feel like the environments especially are stale, or it's distracting that background characters are copied and pasted over and over and over again because they don't have the resources and time to spend on that kind of thing, whereas with 2D that never seems to be a problem. Oppo Rancicis would be in the show by now, and probably would have been from the very beginning had they used 2D for instance. If feel like the ambitious nature of the show is a weakness in that they limit what they can do.

Now, I'll give credit where I feel credit is due, and there are some gorgeous episodes, environments (like in the Trandoshan arc), etc. But especially early on the show just did not look that great to me.

TCW on the other hand appeals to me more than the microseries as far as being longer and developing the time period more than short, several minute action sets. However, TCW is hampered by Lucas' involvement and some inexcusably terrible episode ideas.

I loved the microseries at the time, but it left me wanting more. TCW had the opportunity to provide more but I think it stumbles just as much as it succeeds and it never quite got to be what I was looking for in a Star Wars TV show.

6. kenobifan1999

kenobifan1999 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2012
  7. kenobifan1999

Sep 3, 2012
    Well the question is simple. Make sure to vote in the poll

I used to be a STRONG supporter of the original show. And I used to say the new one sucked and I hated it. But that was before I even watched the entire 1st season of our current clone wars show.

I'm gona have to say that the new clone was show is better BY FAR. the story is way better, better characters, and its just a lot more interesting as a whole. Dont get me wrong the 2003 clone wars is still great. But its just all fighting, not much story. plus its very very short. hard to compare a 2 hour show vs like a 40 hour one.

So here's the comparison

2003 vs 2008

Graphics: defiantly 2003
    Voice Acting: defiantly 2008
    Action/fighting: If its a comparison of one episode vs another, I'd have to say 2003 is better. but overall the 2008 series is better with action because they have so much of it.
    Story: 2008 by far
    characters: 2008; although characters like windu, grevious, and and obiwani find better in this show. and this show actually had good jedi council scenes.

AusStig likes this.
  8. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    We don't need two of these threads. Merges and allowed the poll to be added to this thread. Cheers!

9. kenobifan1999

Sep 3, 2012
    that works all the same, thanks

Seerow likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I liked both. The storyline in the microseries worked better, but I had a hard time getting past the character models, which are much better in TCW.

11. Darth_Cronos

Darth_Cronos Jedi Knight

Nov 7, 2009
    Micro-Series All the way! that stealth episode with ventress taking out the troopers is hilarious! Actually every episode with ventress is great!

I kno ppl say the jedi are overpowered but im glad they actually call on the force! thats how i imagined [face_hypnotized] the jedi to be when i first saw the OT!

And Hands down the M-s has the best interpretation of greivous ever^:)^ ! even with the "over-powered" force the jedi were scared.

12. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    To be fair, I liked the microseries a little bit better solely off the nostalgic factor (I grew up watching them! They were the reason I didn't spend my life on the internet looking for ROTS news) so I ended up picking it. However, it is apple and oranges.

The microseries just bridges the gap between Episode II and III.

The new series expands on new characters and events that take place between II and III.

13. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I voted for TCW series by Genndy Tartakovsky.
    It was way better.
    It was a nice tie-in to Episode 3.
    Grievous was introduced. He seemed to a true villain, capable of handling Jedi.
    The Battle of Coruscant was shown.
    Anakin's Dark Side was shown. For example, Anakin killed a couple of Skakoans.
    The Separatist Leadership appeared (San Hill...).

Luckily, there was no Maul, no bounty hunters, no Death Watch stuff. IT WAS ABOUT WAR ITSELF!
    TCW by Filoni is just a bit over the top. There have been already too much books and comics being written taking place in the Clone Wars.
    TCW by Filoni just created an even bigger mess.

Personnaly, I still love the TCW books and the TCW comics (Republic) even more than both TCW television series together.

AusStig likes this.
  14. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    I went with the micro-series. Whilst it certainly wasn't without it's issues, there were plenty of things about it that I just preferred. It seems pointless to list all the pro's since they'd be for the most part a copy and paste of what others have written but overall it definitely felt more interesting and enjoyable to watch.

V-2 likes this.
  15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I don't like the animation style of the micro series. Too cartoonish a cartoon, I guess you could say. Not a huge fan of the current show either, although I did really dig the Mortis arc as well as the one with the slaver planet and the queen. I get the feeling that if they had The Clone Wars when I was a kid, though, I would've been obsessed with it. I'm looking forward to 10-15 years from now when we'll see fans who lament that The Clone Wars was "real Star Wars" compared to the Disney era releases.

16. kenobifan1999

Sep 3, 2012
    the vote is dead even....this is an unexpected turn of events

17. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    The idea that one has to prefer one over the other - in anything - is one of the strangest things we humans do in an attempt to "order" our world. But hey, it's human, so I'll participate.

TCW. I love the 3D, many of the episodes.

Micro: visually interesting, short on story and long on action so rather short on characterization. Overpowered Jedi, which is certainly fun, but not realistic so it feels like a fine accompaniment to Star Wars, but a side show nonetheless. Fun, but "empty calories" in the end.

Winner: TCW.

FARK2005 likes this.
  18. kenobifan1999

Sep 3, 2012
    its simple human nature and fact, that we always prefer one thing over the other. weather we admit it or not.... or even in some rare cases weather we consciously realize it or not

19. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Honestly, to me the microseries and TCW aren't that much alike. They have like titles and cover the same period but they are two very different things that handle themselves very differently.

The Micro series has a very cool art style, fast action, a good emo feel, and its just fun to watch. Doesn't require much effort from me to watch it. It was more about simply connecting AOTC and ROTS.

TCW is an action TV show that's got character driven drama, an epic feel to it, and more going on than just battles. Its about expanding that journey to get to ROTS. It requires me to think harder to get whats going on.

If I have to choose I'll take TCW.

20. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Character drama? Nelvaan had it.

Esg and JackG like this.
  21. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Unfortuanately, Nelvaan was a jewel in a sewer. Why couldn't Genndy make more episodes like that instead of episodes like that stupid Battle of Dantooine? *sigh*

22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The Battle of Dantooine was awesome, imo.

23. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Nelvaan's hardly the only example, but probably the best.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  24. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The micro-series was fun, but I never could get into it like I did with TCW.

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    [​IMG]
    The only time I've ever liked A&P was in the microseries.