main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Micro-series vs. TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Saga_Symphony, Nov 14, 2012.

?

Which Clone Wars show do you like better?

1. Clone Wars (2003)

115 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. The Clone Wars (2008)

212 vote(s)
    64.8%
  1. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Even over Prelude to the Rebellion and Republic? Please.

Judging from the rest of TCW, neither was any other Legends Clone Wars material.

2. ARC_RC-7567

ARC_RC-7567 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2015
    Dead serious. Never liked much of the Star Wars Republic. There are some exceptions but I enjoy TCW way more.

3. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015

So? It was a fun duel, and it's probably one of the best fight scenes in a cartoon ever. It's way more entertaining than any of the duels in TCW. Also, them jumping around isn't consistent with other duels? Are we just going to pretend the duels in the PT weren't full of flips and jumps?

cwustudent and spicer like this.
  4. daniel brown

daniel brown Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2015
    That's just your opinion. But there were flips and jumps in TCW as well, and they were not jumping as high as the Eiffel Tower like in CW.

Zejo the Jedi likes this.
  5. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

I just rewatched the micro series this morning. There were some nice, memorable scenes here and there; and of course progression of Anakin (which takes place in about 20 minutes of actual storytelling) is good for those who want to see it happen on the screen; but the cartoonish battle scenes, especially those that the Jedi were involved in, were just too much.

You're kidding, right? Name a single Jedi duel scene in the micro series that was better than this one in TCW.

6. TheMoldyCrow

Jun 16, 2015
    Maul and Savage vs. Sidious is great, but I much prefer:
    • Anakin vs. Asajj
    • Grievous vs. The Hypori Jedi
    • Shaak-Ti vs Magnaguards
    All of these fight scenes were much more exciting, and they were very impressive given the fact they were only hand-drawn. I also don't know why so many people have a problem with the huge jumps the characters make in the series. Is it exaggerated a bit much? Sure, but I still don't see how it's any different than anything out of the PT duels.

7. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    TCW is more realistic and it has a better story telling. Which is more suitable for Star Wars universe.

Micro-series is like Samurai Jack, it has nice fighting sequences but that's all.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  8. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Ahsoka's Tano Honestly, if that's the best example you can bring up, I still think the duels in the microseries are better. Some of the attack sequences the Emperor does are downright laughable. The same goes for some of the blocks. As overblown as you may think Tartakovsky's duels are, at least they have the audacity to make the actual melee combat look viable.

spicer and TheMoldyCrow like this.
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

Again, the fights in the micro series was good for a cartoon. It didn't matter that Grievious was as flexible as Mister Fantastic of the FF; it still looked cool on screen.

10. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    They weren't that ridiculous in the PT, c'mon, man...

11. TheMoldyCrow

Jun 16, 2015
    Eh, I think that you could certainly make the case that they were. We see Mace jump off the Geonosis arena balcony onto the arena ground, Yoda jumps around like Sonic the Hedgehog, and Anakin makes a huge leap off a collection arm onto a tiny mining droid at the end of the Mustafar duel.

12. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Not to mention everything that happens in the elevators of the Invisible Hand, the giant leap that Obi-Wan performs from the cockpit of his fighter in the Invisible Hand's hangar bay, the OTHER giant leap that Obi-Wan does from one platform to another during his duel with Darth Maul in TPM, etc.

You know, the only real fight that is even the slightest bit exaggerated was Mace Windu's exploits on Dantooine. Other than that, everything makes sense.

TheMoldyCrow likes this.
  13. TheMoldyCrow

Jun 16, 2015
    Exactly! You can say the fights in CW were over the top, but I don't see anything in that series that would seem out of place in the PT.

spicer likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Some of Yoda's feats on Coruscant seem like they're pushing it a little. Still, TCW had similar, slightly smaller scale ones.

Yoda pushes Trade Federation Landing Craft backward (and crashes another craft into it) - Maul (and possibly someone else?) pushes around Jedi shuttles.

Yoda lifts a bunch of droids into the air to be crashed into - Dooku lifts a bunch of rocks into the air to impress Savage.

15. TheMoldyCrow

Jun 16, 2015
    Speaking of TCW, does anyone remember about a year ago when an episode of Rebels had Ahsoka make some sort of huge leap and this forum had a bunch of complaints about it? Even TCW/Rebels has done some over the top stuff in their lightsaber duels.

16. Darth Jaster

Darth Jaster Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 5, 2017
    I loved the micro series, but it really can't compare to the character depth and much more variety offered by the much longer The Clone Wars Series. Howoever, the micro series did a lot right! I'm talking about how those clone troopers were badass, and General Grievous was a savage monster rather than somewhat of an incompetent coward. Personally, neither animation style is my preference. Both shows depicted the characters' faces in a "funky" way. I prefer the stlyes more commonly seen in Japanese animation. Still love those Star Wars ones though.

17. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Super'Soka! [face_laugh]
    And fixed. :p

18. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    I feel that TCW focus on wrong descriptive dialogue from the movies:
    "Queen Amidala is young and naive......................"
    "Greivous will run and hide as he always does, his a coward."
    "...his abilities have made him arrogant."
    "...the Jedi are taking over!"

[face_laugh] .............If anything the show is case study on how he would play in the sand box.

Link?

19. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014

http://theforce.net/latestnews/stor...e_Of_His_SW_Clone_Wars_MicroSeries_148068.asp

http://www.blastr.com/2015-4-29/how-clone-wars-microseries-led-way-star-wars-return-tv

spicer likes this.
  20. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    The micro-series was the best thing the Star Wars franchise produced between 1983 and 2015, imo.

I treat the Tartakovsky DVD's as an Episode. It's comic book-y, but it's tight. It's two hours, and there's very little filler. Above all, the mythology and story-telling are exceptional. I love the depiction of the GFFA here. It's better than the first two films, for sure, let alone TCW.

21. Zejo the Jedi

Nov 16, 2016
    No.
    TCW is much better.

22. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014

Well, it's all opinion of course, and YMMV.

But for a lot reasons, TCW doesn't begin to approach the micro-series.

The micro-series nailed down in two hours what TCW failed to do in five and half seasons and one film.

Taylore, SpecForce Trooper and spicer like this.
  23. Zejo the Jedi

Nov 16, 2016
    The Clone Wars (2008-2014) is Star Wars perfection.

24. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

I strongly preffered the Tarkatovsky CW micro-series to TCW cartoon, so I agree with this to some extent. I do not like the animation in TCW mini-series, and never did. The micro-series animation is far superior, and the storyline(s) are better as well.

However, I didn't prefer the micro-series to the Droids 1985-1986 cartoon. Droids was an excellent SW series that incorporated a lot of OT tech., etc. That remains my favorite SW cartoon, even though it was short-lived & hasn't gotten a decent, comprehensive home video release.

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Posts like this go against the spirit of the No Debating rule. You want to compare the shows? Substantiate your arguments. Otherwise,
    [​IMG]