main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Microsoft and Bill Gates are about to get pwned

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by ROTS_Obi1, Dec 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    i had a genesis/megadrive, but yeah im pretty sure the snes owned it, killer instinct was such a step forward on its own, before metroid, zelda, mario, starfox, etc

IIRC the Snes was actually the first 32-bit console. i heard that off a friend who read it somewhere, quite a while ago so i can't back it up :p

What about the CD-32? wasn't that commodore/amiga? that bombed badly, and then the 32-x pah!

2. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Well, people are fooled by pre-rendered graphics.

But that said... they're just as valid as a real time engine to me. It's just a different way to express the artform.

Look at Resident Evil Remake for the GameCube. Pre-rendered graphics... but they not only did the job but it did it on such an exceptional level. Made me feel part of the game.

And as for the Dreamcast. There were certain things it could do better than the PS2, such as bump mapping and anti-aliasing and speed... but the PS2 could push more polygons. But the difference was minimal. Hell, a lot of DC games were downgraded in visuals when ported over to the PS2.

3. NightHunter319

NightHunter319 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2005
    Any word at all of how many players online the PS3 will be able to accomplish? Im sure that it will make it to 48 atleast, that would be sweet online with warhawk (if it will have online)

4. TC-47

TC-47 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 29, 2005
    Is the PS3 going to be an online console; that would pose a problem for Microsoft.

5. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    If PS3 is online combatible (Which I'm 99.9999% sure it will be) I'm hoping they keep the system as is. In other words... FREE. Xbox Live can throw in all the bells and whistles they want, but nothing calls me to it quicker than the word free.

6. TC-47

Oct 29, 2005
    Definately, and Microsoft won't be making theirs free when there making a loss of $75/£80 on each console...

7. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Well from what I heard a PS3 costs about $500 to make and they plan on charging $400 for it. That's $100 loss. But software is where it's at, and that's how they both will make it back.

8. TC-47

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah and some xbox software looks pretty sweet...

9. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Well my issue with Xbox is (And it's the same thing now as it was then) Whatever it dishes out, I can get for another platform. What's the best game right now for 360? Call of Duty 2 (I know it can be argued, but I'm just going by what I saw from most publications for GOTY). And what game have I been currently playing on my PC? Call of Duty 2. Now I know I can't get Perfect Dark... but I'll say it's not an incredible loss for me either. Either way, you end up paying a good $400 to play the next Halo installment, and even that finds its way to PC at some point. In fact, was there any game worth mentioning that was ever an Xbox exclusive, for real?

For now I can wait for PS3, because anything good for 360 will come to PC, and I will play it there.

Edit: Jade Empire, I just remembered that one. And as far as I know, there are no PC plans. *nods*

10. TC-47

Oct 29, 2005
    Jade empire wasn't that good a game... but is Halo 2 coming for PC this year, or atall for that matter. But the xbox will not have as many games as PS3, I can see both sides of the arguement, though I am inclined to Xbox...but its close.

11. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Well, personally, I don't see Halo 2 as much of an improvement over Halo. I just see it as Halo: Shiny Edition. And I have Halo for PC, so I can live without Halo 2. Besides the main attraction behind Halo 2 is the online play, and I'm already up to my neck in Online FPS games.

And I just said Jade Empire because that was a pretty big deal. Biowares follow up to KOTOR and such... Whether or not it was any good is a different story. :)

So unless some developer pulls a real good new game out their hat, and completely knocks me out, I can't see me putting down money for a 360 (The first time I haven't bought a console!). And I doubt that'll happen only because the industry is too focused on sequels and nothing truely original. So if I have to live with that, I'll put my money where the good exclusive sequels are. Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid or Zelda, Metroid, Super Smash Bros.

12. TC-47

Oct 29, 2005
    Well Halo 2 is really just the follow through with the story if you look at it like that... You have effectively pursuaded me to wait to see what the PS3 is like. I won't buy Xbox 360...yet

13. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Exactly, it's all a waiting game for me. PS3 likes to show a lot of coming soon stuff. They don't hold back, they show us what we want to see and they show it to us now. So I already know what games I'm getting when I get a PS3. 360 never really did that though, they didn't have any "Hey guys look at this game!!" type of stuff. I mean, there are games that will come out for 360 (Mass Effect) that look good. But how do I know it won't come out for anything else.

I guess I'm a jaded consumer though. I bought an Xbox and all I ever had for it was Halo and Mech Assault. I ended up selling it, and felt like I had wasted a bunch of money. I refused to be tricked again this console generation.

But I'm not one sided either, I'm watching PS3 too, and don't expect me to be waiting in line when that comes out. 3 broken PS2s later, I'm not going to be too trusting for anyone anymore.

But looking from a games only point of view, I'm leaning towards the PS3. And Revolution seems nicer and nicer every day...

14. Darth_FattyAss

Darth_FattyAss Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2002
    I'm leaning toward 360 for one game right now...Mass Effect. The game is by Bioware and looks sick. I think once development companies start really harnassing the power of the 360 the games are going to be off the hook. However, I'll probably still end up getting a PS3 as well.

15. TC-47

Oct 29, 2005
    I'll probably get both sooner or later too... I feel like an idiot but whats Mass Effect?
    [face_clown]

16. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Mass Effect is the next game Bioware is making. They recently bought Pandemic (Battlefront games) and have stated that the game will be an "Action RPG". It's a Sci-fi game, big monsters and guns... etc. Overall it sounds pretty cool. But I've also learned my lesson about buying consoles for one game.

17. NightHunter319

NightHunter319 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2005
    My question is whats the number of people online will the next gen systems dish out?

18. TC-47

Oct 29, 2005
    WOW... just checked out the home page!!![face_hypnotized]

19. Darth_FattyAss

Darth_FattyAss Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2002
    ^ I felt the same way when I saw the trailer....Bioware is releasing another trailer some time this month....I can't wait. From bouncing around the Mass Effect forum, and reading several articles, it sounds like it will be alot like KOTOR in terms of combat. OXM did a great article on the game a couple of months ago.

20. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Really? That's actually really dissapointing to me. I was hoping to see something new and fresh. Sure, Biowares got a formula for success, and that's fine. But I was hoping for something new in the battle system, not Kotor or Jade Empire or Baldurs Gate for that matter all over again. :(

21. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Not every teaser for the PS3 was pre-rendered. Take a look at I-8 or MGS. I know that neither are pre-rendered and they look incredible. They put every game I've seen on 360 to shame.

If you want to see how powerful the PS3 is you should check out the tech demo Epic made for Sony. It looks amazing and I'm practically drooling at the idea of playing UT2006 on a PS3. Granted that it is Epic and most developers won't be doing nearly as good a job, but still they show what it is capable of.

Actually if you want to see the best example of 360 graphics you should look at Gears of War. If anything convinces me to buy a 360 eventually it will be that incredibly sweet exclusive.

22. TC-47

Oct 29, 2005
    I am pretty sure these have not been changed:

Oblivion

This is the game I really want and its for the 360

Try Demo trailer 4 its my favourite

23. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    Here is what I think:

The PS3 will sell more copies and make more money because of the name: "PlayStation 3". The PlayStation 2 has already established itself as the most popular console of this generation (even though the Xbox is by far better). The Playstation 3 will be no different in terms of sales.

I do believe the Xbox 360 will be the better console, but will not sell as many copies. Once Halo 3 comes out, I'm buying the 360. Until that time, I'm happy with the original Xbox.

24. TC-47

Oct 29, 2005
    Yes but in the last gen of consoles the only reason people chose PS2 was because it came first this time the Xbox 360 comes out first, logic says that the 360 will do better.

25. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Now wait, if we're talking Hardware, then yeah, Xbox was the clear winner last generation. As for software... well that's a different debate for another time. (But remember I sold my Xbox because of the lack of good software.)

As for this generation, PS3's gotta pretty big lead in the hardware department, and even software as far as trailers for games that I have seen. I look for where the best exclusives are, and I haven't seen any 100% exclusives on 360 that are worth mentioning as of yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.