main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Microsoft and Bill Gates are about to get pwned

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by ROTS_Obi1, Dec 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TC-47

TC-47 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, I have well over 30 Xbox games and would recomend about 70% of them to you. But I fyou think about it Microsoft much bigger than Sony in software, what are you writing with now. If it isn't a apple MAC then its microsoft. Its as simple as that.

2. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Oh, I'm not some anti-Microsoft guy, no worries. I'm perfectly happy on Windows XP. I wouldn't be much of a gamer if I had Linux. :)

I'm not a fan-boy either, I won't go out of my way to praise Nintendo, Sony, or anyone else for that matter unless they are well deserving.

What I am though is a gamer. I own a pretty beefy PC, a PS2, and a Gamecube. I mean... I have more than that, like a bunch of old consoles and such. My point is, and has been, that I like to be able to play everything. What happened with the Xbox is that the games that were any good for it I could usually get for either PC, PS2, or Gamecube. Not only that but there were lots of games I could ONLY get on PC, PS2, and Gamecube. The lack of exclusive games that I could not get otherwise is the main reason I was turned off by Xbox this last gerneration. I don't have an issue with buying multiple consoles, it's when one console I buy ends up having no games that I cannot get on another platform is what bothered me. I ended up paying $350 (Xbox + Halo) for what ended up being a really heavy black paper weight. In fact the two games I did own for it, Halo and KOTOR, I now have for PC and are better for PC!

So, in the end I will say I am anti-Xbox for reasons shown above. But I'm not tossing out 360 completely either. I am turned off by it because of the last gen, but it's the software that will matter the most in the end.

3. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Microsoft and Bill Gates are about to get pwned

KotOR pwnz0rz Sony. :)

4. TC-47

Oct 29, 2005
    I can understand that.

So, your saying in your opinion how good a console is relies on 70% sorfware and 30% hardware. I'm pretty much the opposite I suppose; I like great graphics and short loading times.

5. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    I'm wouldn't even go that far. A good console relies on 100% software. What use is a console if there are no games?

And what good is a console if it has superior loading times and graphics if the games are god awful?

I'm a firm believer that no matter how stunning the graphics get, it doesn't make it a good game. I mean look at something like DOOM 3. It's spectacular to look at on PC, but it's only barely above mediocre as a game. (Sorry to any DOOM 3 fans :( )

But if you believe that graphics are the end all be all of a console, then PS3 will still be your best bet. ;)

6. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    What does it say then about the Xbox if Jade Empire is the best Xbox game of the year?
    XBox Game of the Year

Technically, people chose PS2 because it came second. DreamCast came first and failed miserably because people were holding out one year for the PS2. Does anything like that sound similar? 360 = DC. By your logic, 360 should then fail like the DreamCast failed.

7. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
  8. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I work in a game store and am pretty up to date on the rumore mill with the game systems.

The newest ones involving the PS3 are a)The date is being moved back to 2007 and b) Right now the lowest price Sony can get it at release without losing money is $600

I'm not dropping $600 on a system or $500 for that matter. You get less with the PS3.

For the price of the X360, you get more for your money, which is what mom and dad are going to see when they buy it for their kids. Which is what I've let people know at work. Free online big plus, especially if you play Final Fantasy 11.

The even bigger plus this time around, most games are going to be cross-platform. So if I can play Final Fantasy 20 on my 360, no need for a PS3 for me. I'm sticking to the X360 and Revolution thats all I need. And I'll be a happy gamer. If I want a PS3 so bad, I'll just go out and buy a new computer.

~PK~

9. TC-47

Oct 29, 2005
    I knew the PS3 wouldn't becoming out this year!

Technically, people chose PS2 because it came second. DreamCast came first and failed miserably because people were holding out one year for the PS2. Does anything like that sound similar? 360 = DC. By your logic, 360 should then fail like the DreamCast failed.

I always considered the Game Cube the same gen console as the Xbox and PS2, not the dreamcast.

10. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    I always considered the Game Cube the same gen console as the Xbox and PS2, not the dreamcast.

I consider all 4 to be the same generation...

11. TC-47

Oct 29, 2005
    I thought that sega made the Dreamcast too early to be in the same gen as the rest. It was by far inferior.

12. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    It wasn't, actually.

It's just that the combination of PS2 anticipation and Saturn suckage turned it into a colossal failure.

13. TC-47

Oct 29, 2005
    Mabey in games, but in graphics and processing power: compared to the the PS3 and Xbox they are pretty bad.

(there I go again, mabey I should shut up about hardware)

14. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Actually the Dreamcast was pretty awesome. As MarcusP2 said, it was a combination of PS2 anticipation due to the success of the original playstation, and suckage of the Saturn which doomed the dreamcast.

It was the first properly useable online system due to the fact that you could use a keyboard and mouse with it (i think there was a mouse for it) so that browsing the internet and talking with fellow gamers was easy.

If the graphics look subpar, it's probably because they're being compared to far cry instincts, or doom 3 or something, but that's down as much to the programmers taking advantage of the hardware available to them, and that always takes time, look at the early release ps2 games compared to some stuff now.

It also started one of the biggest online gaming groups around, which continued years after the demise of the dreamcast console, which of course is the Phantasy Star Online people. In fact it was so big that eventually it was ported over to xbox, dunno what it's success has been like though, probably minimal.

Look at the graphics and texture detail of Shen Mue 1 & 2, some of it is still awesome now, the only game i felt come close to shen mue in terms of gameplay is Fahrenheit, or Indigo Prophecy as it's known in the US, but that was about 50 times as short a story.

The Dreamcast was anything but subpar hardware wise, I just wish it got a better run.

Sea Man is still the best virtual pet game of any kind ever.

15. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    Not only that, but Dreamcast, IMO, has probably the best good to bad game ratio of any console ever. Mainly because the launch games were solid, and they never had a real chance to make crap on it.

16. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    crazy taxi, soul calibur, shen mue, sea man, ferrari f335 challenge, metrop[olis street racer, aka the prequel to project gotham racing, phantasy star, even if super bombad racing sucked, who cares? the rest of the games were great.

17. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    The Dreamcast was also spookily similar to the original XBox in that it was just a (then) high-end PC crammed into a little box. Intel CPU, PowerVR graphics processor, Microsoft OS (modified Windows CE) and a bunch of other things I don't remember. It wasn't as PC-like as the X-Box, though, which almost reached the point of sillines. Not that there's anything wrong with being PC-like, it's just very odd for a console.

18. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    ^^^^

you thought the xbox is more PC Like? in what way? I found the DC closer to a PC, which is kind of why i liked it, it was a good balance. You could use the internet capabilities for browsing rather than just gaming or downloading content, plus you had the keyboard, albeit no hard drive.

19. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I think the PAY is referring to the hardware- the XBox is an Intel-powered system running an Nvidia graphics accelerator, etc. Seems like a PC crammed into a box.

20. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Well, I think it's a well known fact that the Xbox's architecture is very PC like. Those people I know that have opened up their boxes to, er, "tinker" have pretty much told me so. It has a rudimentary CPU, motherboard, modified Microsoft OS, harddrive and even a watered down Nvidia GPU. All very PC like as far as I'm concerned. That type of setup probablywhich makes it easier for certain parties to tinker with the Xboxes, not so with the more propietary PS2 architecture.

21. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    I agree the Xobx is a stupid puter. I've been enjoying Ninja Gaiden, Forza and Panzer Dragoon Orta on my PC. Now excuse me while I go play games on my PC. And when I get tired of that I'll simply plug in my Sony Computer Entertainment PS2 and play some Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

22. TC-47

Oct 29, 2005
    I looks better on xbox [face_not_talking]

23. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    The newest ones involving the PS3 are a)The date is being moved back to 2007 and b) Right now the lowest price Sony can get it at release without losing money is $600

I'm not dropping $600 on a system or $500 for that matter. You get less with the PS3.

Sony is not that stupid. There is now way they are going to charge more than the 360, and unless they physically can't do it, they won't wait past next Christmas to release the PS3.

If they did either of the above, they would deserve to fail.

24. Darth_FattyAss

Darth_FattyAss Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2002
    I agree that sony won't wait until dec 06 to release but I do believe that the console won't come in anywhere under $400. In a sense it's the one thing that has truly gone right for Microsoft....They were able to set the price bar and determine what was an acceptable loss for them on hardware. Enter Sony who wants to bring you high'ER' Def (whatever!) and pack their system with more hardware, but now have to lose more money per console in order to competetivley price their system. As always this will come down to software and I am intrigued by line-up of games 360 will be offering. That's not to say I'm not a little disappointed with the 360 launch line-up. To me these games are a shell of what the second and third generation of games will look and play like for the system.

25. Deciple_of_Malak

Deciple_of_Malak Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2005
    Can't wait to see PS3! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.