main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Mid-South Con discussion

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jedi Trace, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    And you'll never wash your butts again... [face_batting]

[face_laugh]

Have we had any luck getting in touch with the 501st or RL?

2. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Nope, not yet. I left a message at the 501st site, but no answer yet. Although I haven't checked in the last couple of weeks. One of you guys want to talk to RL since you're members?

Edit: Just went to check my messages at 501st, nothing yet.

3. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Hey I'm 501st and RL... But I don't count cause I'm in a freaking different Garrison than you guys...

Anyway, the whole idea looks to be an improvement... I'm looking forward to making it (again) this year...

Hmmm... instead of soaping the parking lot...why not install soap dumpers above the door so they get soap
    dumped on them on the way out of the Con suite... That's an idea???

Maybe we should protest that if Filk can get special set ups then puppets should have equal rights??? Don't you think?

Oh well... It should be interesting if nothing else....

New venues always are...

looking forward to hanging out with you guys!!!

HP[face_pig]

4. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Think I'm going to pass on doing any set up at MSC, but will go to hang out, have fun, and to generally get my "geek-on". ;)

New location should be a real improvement.

Lin

5. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Hear hear! I concur wholeheartedly, and all that jazz!

BJ: I'm not worried about equal rights for puppets anymore as far as MSC is concerned. It'll be a long while before TFP returns there. Next year will pretty much be scaled back as far as appearances go as we'll actually be filming our filthy little show.

6. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I'll be cutting back on cons next year. I'll be doing Shadowcon, Cactuscon, MSC, and Metropolis. Cactuscon/PHX is the only one I'll have to fly to. Not going to San Diego next year (getting way too expensive), and I think I'm going to pass on the CGS Super Show, too. I like going to Philly/Reading, but again- getting too expensive. May wait a year or two and go back. Would like to do more sight seeing in Philly next time. Wouldn't min going back to Emerald City/Seattle, or checking out HEROES in NC or Megacon in Orlando. Heard good things about those two. And if they announce a C5 I'll drop any others I have to and go to it.

Lin

7. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Oh, yeah... C5 is a definite. I really hope it'll be in Chicago.

And I love going to Metropolis. They know how to treat their guests- even the "fourth-tier" ones like me! Hopefully Traci and Nicki will go next year so we can ship them off on the wine tour while we're working the crowds. (Not saying that we're shipping them off because we don't love them. We're shipping them off because we do love them... especially when they're liquored up!)

8. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I'm all for getting the girls drunk- uh, I mean showing them a great time. ;)

Giggidy!

9. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    o_O

So yeah...MidSouthCon. How 'bout those t-shirts?

:p

10. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    So many comments that I could make that would get me in trouble. [face_whistling] [face_mischief]

Yeah...what Traci said. o_O

11. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I've still got time!

Lin

12. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Miana Kenobi just posted this quote from Sansweet about Jedi Training Academy in the Old Folks home... looks like we won't be able to it due to liability issues to Fan Force.

13. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    Jedi is an official religion here in the UK.

Does that mean I can sue LFL for infringing my religious freedom? 8-}

14. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I say go for it, Ben.

Then show them on the Vader doll where Jedi cult leader George Lucas touched you. [face_laugh]

I'm not surprised that LFL won't back fans for the Jedi Training Academies that they've been doing at conventions for several years now. Sansweet should have been honest and said that they just don't want to get sued should something go wrong.

I've been extremely disappointed in LFL's relations with fans, especially since they started up the whole "Hyperspace" fan club thing. There is no "true" fanclub for Star Wars, at least in any "official" capacity. Yes, there's a subscription service in the guise of a fan organization that LFL wants to try and pass off as a fan club, but it does nothing to bring together and organize fans so they can celebrate and perpetuate the fandom. FanForce is the closest thing Star Wars has to a true fanclub, but since we don't have tupperware on our bodies when we hold events, LFL ignores us even though our numbers eclipse those of the costume organizations.

15. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    And the Star Wars MSC list grows. They've just announced John Hudgens, maker of "Sith Apprentice" and "Darth Vader's Psychic Hotline" among other fanflicks, will be bringing his film festival our way this time. Former Memphian and an old buddy of mine -- very glad they sought him out.

I have some more news yet, but that's a few days away.

I did check with the hotel -- looks like Whispering Woods shut its golf course down a while back. Oh, well!

16. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    There's always Putt-Putt on Summer! :)

Glad to hear they got your buddy to come down. I got an official invite the other day so I'll be there, too. Looking forward to checking out the new hotel. We had a good time there for the film festival this summer when Noel and Larry were in town.

Lin

17. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    Couldn't say this before, but it has been announced that fellow MSC regular Dean Zachary is drawing KOTOR #38, which will be out at the show. And yes, Dean will be back at the con again this year. So add one more SW guest -- or a SW credit to an existing guest!

18. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    That's great news!

The girls geeked a bit when they found out that Dean was working on KotOR. ;)

They asked me if he was going to be at MSC this year and I told them, "He's there every year!" Looks like he'll be at Shadowcon again, too.

They've been checking out his site and apparently approve of his art. I think he'll have a couple fangirls asking for sketches at con!

I traded him some comic pages a few years back, and picked up one of his Batman pages at his last Comics and Collectibles signings. The boy draws real good.

Just saw the guest line-up for Cactuscon in Phoenix- looks like it's got a growing Star Trek guest line up. But they've also got a Star Wars guest, a BSG one, and two Buck Rogers ones- Gil and Erin!

Looks like it'll be a fun start to con season. :)

Lin

19. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    Yes, we approve. :D

20. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    All THREE of us fangirls approve. I love his Jareal most of all. And his Zayne looks really grown up. I most definitely approve.

21. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Definitely! I also love his Luke & Mara and Celeste Morne. [face_love]

22. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Good to have the fangirls agreeing on this!

Rhoo- are you hooked on the comics, too?

Tim and I are so proud. :)

Yeah, Dean's style should work great on this. Looking forward to checking it out, and seeing if he has any original pages to sell... ;)

Lin

23. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I'm an original founding member fan girl, Lin. [face_mischief] Ask Traci, I read them before she did. ;)

24. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    It's true. :cool: Rhonda talked me into buying my first comic ever - Empire #26 at the old Triple Play in Wolfchase back in 2004. Good times, good times... :D

25. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I'm so happy I think I may cry...;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.