main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Mid-South Con discussion

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jedi Trace, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Happy enough to make us a t-shirt design for MSC? Or a banner for our Fan Force table? [face_batting]

We missed the last ConCom meeting due to various stuff, but Rhonda and I (maybe Nicki) are planning to attend the Nov. 23rd meeting. I think panel planning is on the agenda, so let us know if you have any ideas for our group.

2. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    You're geeking out because I told you I want to read a Bat book. :p

I've been kinda bored at work this week, so I've been researching the Batman comics on teh intarwebz so that I can talk intelligently about them to my Batman fanboy. I didn't know until this week that John Ostrander and his late wife created the Oracle persona for Barbara Gordon after she was paralyzed by the Joker and forced to end her Batgirl career. Of course, seeing John O's name on something immediately spiked my curiosity about the character. She doesn't act like a victim; she reinvents herself and fights crime using her brains as a computer hacker and information broker. :-B

That's enough to get me to check it out.

Yeah, what Traci said. Please? [face_batting] Pretty please? [face_batting] :*

3. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I'll be there at the 23rd meeting. Still no word on the 501st or Rebel Legion, and it looks like we can't do anything close to the Jedi Academy thing, so I can help with the Trivia thing and panel if we want.

4. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Just stay on me about it and remind me of the deadline- you know how I get with side projects!

And why do I get the feeling Nicki is going to be schooling me on Batman..?!

Lin

5. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    What was the reaction to the mentioning of John Ostrander as the comics guest of honor at the MSC meeting? Did anyone seem interested? I know Jeph Loeb said he couldn't make it.

John O just needed the usual flight, hotel, food they normally offer, right?

Has anyone been on their boards lately? Didn't see any new announcements on their home page. It's getting close and was just curious if anyone else has had any news. Thought they would have announced other guests like JJM and Dean by now, especially now that they can talk about the KotOR news.

Oh- funny thing, today Judy at work brought in some comics for me to go thru and see if there was anything I wanted before her yard sale. I picked up a few Batman and Superman books (she decided to keep the two SW TPBs- D'oh!). Then I noticed a familiar signature on the cover of C.R.O.S.S.FIRE COMMANDOS- ZACHARY. Below that was (Charles)Ettinger and (Erich)Von Haas, and on the inside a pin-up by Jim Hall. Was cool to find another comic for my local creators long box collection. :)

Lin

6. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Haven't heard a word. Hell, apparently I'm a guest, according to the flier that arrived in my mailbox, which was news to me.

The site looks exactly as it did over a month ago when I saw it, and no comics guests, or "minor" guests are listed at all, including Dean and JJM.

7. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    There's supposed to be another meeting Dec 4th (this Thursday). I thought they were going to update the website sometime this week with stuff...

8. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Cool, they probably just need to get the official guest list together for the next update. I'm sure we'll hear something after the meeting.

BTW- here's that comic I got today.

[image=http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w293/bu****ales/crossfire0.jpg]

Gonna have to take it to MSC and get it signed. Think just about everybody who worked on it will be there.

9. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    I have in my notes that there's a meeting on Dec. 6th and the next full ConCom meeting is Dec. 14th.

The subject of Mr. Ostrander did not come up - they're still waiting to hear back from the guy you told us about earlier, Lin. (Not sure if I can say who it is or not.)

All the guest names are on the working roster - the website just hasn't been updated yet, nor have all the panels/speakers been hammered out yet. Stay tuned.

We need to get on the subject of Fan Force paraphernalia for Shadowcon and for MSC soon. *hint, hint* [face_batting]

10. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Nicki,

Have they said anything to you about tables?

11. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    I hear ya. ;) Don't let me forget- I will.

Be sure to let Carlin know about Mr. Ostrander and what he'd need. The guest(s) they're after doesn't do a lot of small cons, and his wife stays pretty busy, too. Mr. O would be an awesome guest.

12. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I sent him an email asking about this stuff, and brought up John O. Like Traci said, the last meeting they still hadn't heard from the other guy they asked.

And good thing I saw your post, Traci... that would've sucked. :p

13. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
  14. TNPredsFan

Nov 10, 2004
    Nope.

15. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I spoke with Carlin last night on the phone. We aren't going to get Loeb, like Lin mentioned above. He has also put in a request to Mike Norton (list of his stuff can be found here), and is waiting to hear back from him. If he doesn't hear back from him in by next week, or if he declines, he thinks we should go ahead and extend an invitation John O. then, so if any of you have contact information on him, go ahead and send it to me or Carlin, and if you don't -- we'll wait until next week so that we don't move too soon.

Nicki, Carlin wasn't aware that Neil and you hadn't spoken further about the tables and is going to send us his email address so you can contact him about our table, if nothing else. He said running the tables is pretty light work, and usually doesn't take much time, so even though Neil hadn't gotten moving on it yet, he may need to. I told him I thought Neil had actually said if you wanted to do the whole thing, you could and he said that works, too. Looks like you and Neil just need to get together via email or something to coordinate.

He said that the web page should have been updated and he's going to check into it.

16. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    Cool- good to hear. Wish they would try for both guys- Mike would be cheap to get here. Maybe if they do get Mike he could put in a good word for Gail Simone for next year. ;)

Yeah, their site is a bit light on updates, and their forums have always been pretty quiet.

What all will we need for our fan table?

Lin

17. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Well, it looks like Ostrander is a go. Norton hasn't been able to respond.

18. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Do we know yet if he's actually available? I hope he is. If not, they're running out of options for a Comics GOH on such short notice.

19. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    :D:D:D

He's available.

*dances*

I told Carlin we'd do whatever it takes to make this a great experience for John and Comics fans, hopefully we can take him, JJM and Dean to dinner that Saturday night. I look forward to the panels and we should get in there to help him get those organized, for these pieces anyway.

20. Dork-Vader

May 14, 2003
    That's awesome- congrats!

Memphis represent!!!

21. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    I sent John's PM on to Carlin this morning via email. If Carlin hasn't responded by tonight, I'll give him a call.

w00t!

22. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Well paint me blue and call me Shado, you got John O! Star Wars, Dark Horse, aaand Memphis be representin' at MSC next year!

23. TNPredsFan

Nov 10, 2004
    [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

QFT! The SMT will roll out the red carpet. :D

24. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Entertaining is our specialty. :cool:

Now I have three reasons to go to MSC. John, John, and Dean.

25. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    You said it, Shado. ;) That would be the most awesomest thing in the history of EVER! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.