main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Mid-South Con!!!! Memphis Fan Force gets to Participate!!!!! March 28-30, 2003

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Chewbracca, Dec 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    What an odd choice of venues for a meeting. A pillow factory? With the obigatory pillow fight ensue after the meeting is over?

I'm glad Michael is keeping in touch with you, Rhonda. I haven't heard anything further from either Jerry or Dana, and their message boards are a ghost town.

2. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    I let dana at the con know that because of our travel time we(501st) wont be there until saturday.So we wouldnt be able to be involved with anytype of panel discussion until saturday.if you guys are already stuck with a friday panel then you are free to do whatever topic you choose.

We are still planning on attending the st.judes saturday and are still available to man a table saturday and sunday.

ill keep ya posted.

skip

3. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks, Skip. We'll need all the help we can get.

4. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    hey there,
    i was just poking around on the midsouthcon site and couldnt find anywhere that it says where this con is held!
    do you guys know where it will be?
    and how far away is st.judes from it?

do you know if there is a redroof inn or some simple hotel very close to it?

thanks for your help

skip

5. Mkingsley

Mkingsley Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2003
    This is Michael Kingsley here in Atlanta checking my full e-mail inbox. I've got lots of work to do upon returning to Memphis Thursday morning. MidSouthCon is being held at the Holday Inn Select near the Memphis International Airport at 2240 Democrat (near Airways & Democrat). Directions & map available at:
    http://www.midsouthcon.org/msc21/pages/hotel.html

6. Mkingsley

Feb 5, 2003
    Forgot to mention that ther is a LaQuinta hotel right next door on Airways, but I don't know the room rates.

7. Mkingsley

Feb 5, 2003
    For those of you who plan on attending the ConComm meeting on Sunday, I just received this message from one of MSC's Big Giant Heads, Jeff Bango.
    ----------------------------------
    For those of you that will be attending the meeting and become lost in the nether regions of mississippi.....

My cell # is 603-9223

also

everyone MUST use the employee entrance.The office entrance will be locked.

jb

8. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks, Michael. See you soon.

9. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Note: With the snow advisory and the possibility of more bad weather, Rhonda and I decided not to attend the meeting today. We didn't feel like chancing our safety, nor did we want to entertain the possibility of getting stuck in Walls, Ms. I'll be in contact with Dana and the other Big Giant Heads of MSC ASAP. After that, we'll plan a meeting to discuss our involvement.

10. Smokem_Alien

Smokem_Alien Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 2002
    Michael what was that site you were talking about with the memphis writers?

11. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Dana Bridges with MidSouth Con called me tonight to answer some questions regarding our involvement in this year?s convention. Below are some of the things we touched base on:

We have been provided a table, free-of-charge, in the common area outside the exhibition hall. This is a high-traffic, high-visibility area in which we will share with three other groups: The Star Trek Fan Club, MENSA, and a NASA enthusiasts group. (Please practice suppressing any aversion to Klingons before the convention.) The table is available to us for all three days of the convention. I don?t think we should even bother with Friday, March 28th as far as the booth is concerned. For Saturday, March 29th, maybe we could run the booth in pairs for two-or-three hour blocks from around noon to 8 pm, and do the same on Sunday from open to 4 pm or so. Of course, volunteers will be needed to run the booth, and if we divide it into blocks, then no one person is burdened with manning the booth and everyone can have a chance to enjoy the convention. Also, the classic ?back in 1 hour? sign is perfectly acceptable for those times we can?t man the table. We do have to pay admission on the days we run the table, but if we do it in time blocks and in pairs, then one of the volunteers can always take a moment or two to check out what?s going on in the exhibition hall.

We are allowed to run a raffle for a charitable cause at our table. I was thinking we could donate all proceeds to St. Jude. If anyone has anything they?d like to donate for the cause, then please let me know. I was thinking maybe one item for Saturday and one for Sunday. I will probably check out Toys Be Us by the Mall of Murder tomorrow and see if they have any more of the Mace Windu lightsabers available. If so, I?ll get one for the raffle. They?re supposed to be hard to find, but that location had a couple of them last time I was in there.
    There will also be an MSC charity auction. If anyone has anything to donate, let me know. MSC raises funds annually for many good causes, including St. Jude.

There will be kids? activities available, with age appropriate entertainment for ages 4 and up.

We have been asked to host a panel discussion, and our time has been slated for Friday evening around 10pm. (I have been informed that the schedules are set in Jello, so this may change, but only slightly.) Dana told me that this is a premium time for a panel. The MSC opening ceremonies are at 8 pm that night, with the banquet immediately following. The convention doesn?t get geared up until after those two events, so we have an excellent opportunity to sell our group. The topic that Rhonda and I thought would work best for us is ?The Missing and Deleted Scenes of the Star Wars Saga?. We have the means to show many of the missing Biggs, Toshi Station, and Tatooine scenes from ANH, as well as the ones from the Prequels. We also can do stills of the lost Wampa rampage scene in TESB. We have access to a digital projector to which we could connect my laptop DVD player. This is a loose, informal, Q&A/presentation-style discussion panel, and I?ve been informed that they usually meander off the chosen topic, but stay within the overall theme and subject matter. It?s also a great opportunity for us to present ourselves to the science fiction community. I think we could really shine. We will need three to five people, (and more are welcome!), so please don?t hesitate to volunteer. Or, if you have anything to add to our deleted and missing scene index, give me a shout. Also, I believe that anyone who is participating in any MSC event (such as a panel) gets in for free on the day of his or her event. I will confirm that in the next week or so.

As many of you already know, many MSC participants will be going to St. Jude Children?s Research Hospital in costume to visit the patients. This will happen around noon on Friday, March 28th. I know that it isn?t the most convenient time, but it is the most suitable available time for this annual t

12. jediford

jediford Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2002
    we are one that watches this board and hope to meet some of you at the con .We will be there.we want to go to the st.judes thing for sure {been wanting to do that for some time}missed a few of ya at jackson.so hope to see ya here.
    just a note I think skip has found out that we{501st} will have a table.so See ya there.

13. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Probably the only day I (or we) could make it would be that Saturday...but I'll have to check my schedule. I'd do it now, but I'm in the middle of getting dressed for work, drinking coffee, and checking the boards. I'll let you know in a little while.

14. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Holy Celebrity, Batman!! I didn't know the Admiral was going to St. Jude with us!

Now I gotta watch TESB and remember which one he is. [face_shocked] As anyone who has played SW Trivial Pursuit with me knows, I suck at remembering Imperial officers. [face_blush]

15. Smokem_Alien

Aug 2, 2002
    I voulenteer! I'll booth sit and also be on the panel if you want. Just let me get my wormie jokes together. ;)

16. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    i wasnt aware that the st.judes was happening on friday!

most of us work.

we will be traveling in after work friday but ive put out notice that this is happening on friday.perhaps a few troopers can come early to help out.im sure they would enjoy it.

skip

17. TheDarknessX

TheDarknessX Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2002
    I guess we need to do some "Official" meeting activities so we can be organized for this con. :eek: I might be able to pull some strings on my end and get the T-shirts and maybe even the banner for cheap! We will also need some Star Wars Decor for our booth to attract fans because even though we are all pretty it will look empty if its just a table, a sign, and person sitting there like a lost puppy!

18. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I have gotten a dvd player for my laptop, so we can use that too. It should be pretty fast. I'll bring the small lcd projector, but I must guard it with my life, it is IP's. :) We can play all 5 of the movies on the dvd.

19. Smokem_Alien

Aug 2, 2002
    I'll bring my SW encyclopedia, the SW rpg book, and a couple of figures. Also if you need any small donations to help with banners or t-shirts or something just say the word. I'll make some flyers using Sw fonts and stuff like that.

Tim

20. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    I checked my schedule and as my luck would have it...I'm working that Saturday. So, Sherri and I will not be able to make it down to the Con.

21. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I've donated platelets before a couple of times thru lifeblood. Its about a two hour process, but I'm willing to do it. Do we do it that day, or do we just do it Lifeblood or St. Judes some other time? One thing they do is show movies while they do it. Maybe we could get together to do and ask that they show ESB or ROTJ or something.

R

PS Admiral Ozzel is the one who screwed up in ESB isn't he?

22. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Don't feel too bad, Steve. I'll be working weekends then, so Friday will be the only day that I can attend. :(

I"ve never been able to donate blood before - my hematocrit runs a little low and my veins are tiny. Can I just give a monetary donation, LOL?

23. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Sal: We're going to need anything we can get a hold of....cheap. Remember the answer is always cheap. And three. The answer is always either cheap, or three, or both. I think the banner is a higher priority than anything else right now. T-shirts would be cool, but I'd rather have the banner. Gimme a shout about your sources.

If we could get our banner design ready for our forums here, then we could do a mock up of it for our promotional banner. (That's where I turn to you, Tim and ask the inevitable "So, how's the banner coming along?" with that big, goofy "gimme some good news" grin on my face. Really. No pressure. ;) You can kill me after the Con.) If anyone has anything else in mind for the promo banner, then shout it out.

I looked into promo items briefly last night. The cheapest I found, and keep in mind that I only looked at three internet sites, were 300 keychains for around $150. I haven't checked anywhere else, but if it's going to cost too much, then we can pass on that idea. (Although, one site I looked at also did condoms with company logos. Just thought I'd throw that in there for a good laugh, and to announce my "Email me the SMT logo you'd put on THAT!" contest. The winner gets... I dunno, to be the winner.)

I stopped at Toys Be Us today, and as luck would have it, I found two Mace Windu Electronic Lightsabers- the last they had. (I also may have found a new recruit- A TRU employee who loves both collecting and SW. He also likes Star Trek, but we can forgive him for that little sin. ;) But I digress.) If said sabers are really as hard to find as they claim, we could choose to do a silent auction instead of a raffle, with the proceeds still going to St, Jude. Or, we could raffle one on Saturday and one on Sunday. I'll let you decide on that, as well as the raffle ticket price or the minimum bid. Those raffle tickets will also provide us with valuable email address for potential members!

Rhonda: Cool beans!! I'm sure your player and computer are better than the laptop I have, and the projector is big plus. Do you know anything about Power Point presentations or the likes? I don't know jack about it, but if you have some sort of presentational software that will help us, then please feel free to use it. I think I may have a way to put all the scenes and such on one DVD or CD, but I'll have to see if it is viable first.
    I've never donated platelets before. Do you remember being weak or tired afterwards? If it will affect us during Friday night's activities, then we might want to pledge to do it at a later (or earlier) date.

Tim: Thank you, thank you, thank you for volunteering! Anything you can contribute is already appreciated. Remind me to take you to McDonald's. Yes, the one with the playland! Anything to sweeten the deal.

Skip and JediFord: Glad to hear they provided you with a booth. I don't like the choice of dates for the St. Jude trip either, but Dana told me that that's the only time they're going to do it. I will probably be taking that day off just so I can take part in the events, or at least working that morning. It'll be great having the 501st there with us. Someone's got to keep the Trekkies away from us. Are any of your blasters real, by any chance?

I know that this is a big commitment, so I don't blame anyone for not being able to be involved due to our arch nemesis, Darth Real Life. We're doing this Rebel Alliance-Style, so any sort of contribution you can make is most helpful and greatly appreciated.

-Tim

24. skip1

skip1 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    im checking now about the possiblity of coming friday to st.judes.
    i may be there,ill let you know when i find out something.

25. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Skip: Great! Hope you can make it. I want to see your costume up close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.