main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mid-west Costumers Unite!! costuming get-together

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Mrs_MayimNaar, Aug 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    OK, since we've kind of skirted around the idea for a while, let's really discuss this and plan something!

Things we could do at a costuming party:
    • Make dress forms
    • show off costumes we've already made, as well as in-progress ones
    • share ideas for how to improve on costumes we have
    • learn from each other
    • put faces with the people we've gotten to know so well on the boards
    • Have fun!

First of all, how many people live in the mid west? Who is actually up for this?

2. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    I'm so jealous! That sounds like soooooooo much fun! Unfortunatly, I'm down south in Florida :(
    However, if ya'll want to travel down here I'd be more than happy to host. Heck, we even have Mickey Mouse! LOL!
    :) Ferd

3. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    LOL -- it'd be a C&P vacation!

FERD they have roundtrip air deals all the time from Atlanta to Columbus for like $54! You could try for one of those...

We'll miss you if you can't make it, though :eek:(

4. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Hee hee hee! This would be SO much fun! I'm in R2-Detroit land, so pretty much anywhere in the Mid-west would be reasonably close for a weekend deal. Maybe we could pick a central location (like Indy :) ) and do a hotel party kind of thing?

Regards,
    M.

5. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    How cool would this be? It could be feasible for me--as long as I could find stuff to keep my hubby occupied. :)
    As far as location-I'm not picky at all-Although somewhere with snow would be neat--since I've never seen it :)
    Ferd

6. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    LOL -- I would selfishly suggest Columbus (no driving for me!) but Indy does seem like a good idea.

I know there are costumers in the "3 C's" of Ohio. There are two of us in Columbus (myself and Amidala-Leia). If we did choose to have it here, my mom has some great business contacts in town where we could get good hotel deals and stuff for a location.

But if we did it in Indy there's more to do. Columbus is kind of a shopping-Mecca, but that doesn't give our husbands something to do while we're busy!

...Although my husband does have every SW game, movie, toy, book, and spoof known to man....

Wow this is a long post. I'll PM some other mid-westers and get them to join in on the conversation.

Ferd you have to come!

7. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    I'm interested, but much will depend on date and location.

8. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I second what Darth Jurist just said. :)

9. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    OK, I just posted an info thread in some of the major midwest city threads, as well as the midwest general thread.

DJ and Obi-Dawn what locations would be best for you?

Also, I was thinking we should try to do it sometime in the beginning of September. Any thoughts?

10. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Just FYI, Cleveland has a small (but growing) interest in costuming; and a get-together sounds like fun.

As things develop, I'll know more about if any of us will be able to attend this get-together. We've got a number of things coming up in the next couple weeks, so everyone may be elsewhere.

11. Shara

Shara Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Well if you want to do it at Indy, I live in a large apartment complex just north of downtown. It's easy to get to, lots of parking, and if we do it while it's still warm outside, there is a nice partially shaded lawn area that has been used by the apartment complex for cookouts and parties.

I'd be happy to put something together, and although they don't post here, we have a great group of costumers and proppers here would be up for it I bet.

12. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Unfortunately, we are rapidly approaching Costumer's season (Halloween [face_devil] )
    I can't really think of traveling until after that :(
    Also, I know school just started around here-I don't have kids myself-but those with them might have trouble getting away right after having the whole summer off.
    Just things to consider. I really really want to go.

Hey SG you're in Atlanta, help me try to convince them to come down to us :) LOL! Heck, we could even meet in Atlanta -you know Scarlett O'Hara's home town LOL! :) Ha Ha Ha!
    Ferd

13. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    I live in Nashville, TN and I might be able to make it. It 's a 300 mile drive (approx. 5 hour drive).

14. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    As for locations, I was thinking more along the lines of a hotel or something.

What if we waited until October sometime and had a Halloween Costume Party! It would be so much fun! We could make a weekend out of it. Have a time to sit around and chat and eat, have a costume party, have a time for making dress forms (if people are interested)... the possibilities are endless.

EDIT: Nashville is about 7-8 hrs. from Columbus, not including the time difference. My brother goes to school there.

15. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Ooo, since there are a bunch of us Southerners here, think we could get up a Southern costuming get-together? I'm in Alabama. I'd love to go to something like this, but driving up to Ohio or where ever at the beginning of the semester isn't possible.

16. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Oh, you just reminded me of something we've been contemplating in our local FanForce, Mrs. M.

Cedar Point (amusement park in NE Ohio) puts on Halloweekends from Sept 20th through October 27th where they have haunted houses and the guests run around in costume, too. That would be a fantastic opportunity to actually go out and COSTUME for part of the weekend. Not a perfectly central location, but potentially doable if there was interest.

Unfortunately, Fall is really my busiest time, too, with school starting, UM Football games (Go Blue!), and the fan film we're trying to do. And, I'll be visiting Ferd's fair state for a quick vacation, too. But, as of right now, the weekend of Sept. 27-29 is still open or I'd like to see us wait til Jan/Feb. But, whatever works for the most people is fine with me!! I'll be there in spirit no matter what. :)

Regards,
    M.

PS This is my 500th post! Woohoo! I've been really wanting that third little star! :)

17. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Woo Hoo Mirax!

This September-December is really busy for me too. :( My husband and I are getting ready to move in to our new house in mid-September and then we have loads of houseguests coming to invade it off and on throughout the end of the year. LOL!

I really can't commit to anything without knowing all the logistics, so y'all just figure what's best for you and then I can decide. (How's that for passing the buck along...tee-hee)

18. DarthJurist

Dec 10, 2000
    What exactly do you mean by dress forms? Do you mean like a body double. If so, that would be uber-cool.

Now that I think about it, location is actually not that big of a thing for me, I'll have to rent a car, no matter where it is. I also think a hotel would be nice, especially if we could hook up with a cheep one that serves breakfasts. :D I?m not sure how the small conventions swing it, but if we get enough people together we might be able to get a deal.

Another question: Would we focus only on Star Wars costuming or costuming in general. To be honest, I haven't done any SW costuming because I haven't found any that I would look good on a short, plus sized chica. 8-}. However, I was thinking of making one of the female tuskin outfits, so I'm open to expanding my horizons, or would be perfectly happy helping other people look fabulous. (I'll bring my sewing machine, but I'm possessive of it, so watch out for the boobytraps.)

As for dates, I'll have to consider my calendar at home. The Halloween event sounds like it could be fun, and is definitely possible for me. However, I?m also open to waiting until after the new year, so we have more time to scope out hotels, etc.

While I?m all for planning our own event, could we consider piggy-backing on another con, like DragonCon or some other midwest con? We could rent out a suite or a meeting/conference rooms, and basically have a hang out for us where we could do our thing, but then enjoy the benefits of a larger con (such as a masquerade or a dance and such). Just a thought.

On a completely side note, there is the World Costume Con, here in the Chicago next year. I'll try to find a link, but sadly it falls on Easter Weekend, and I have family commitments.

Also, there?s the costume college in California, which I plan to attend next year.

Just throwing out options for possibly other gathering time/places.

19. Morrigan_McKnight

Morrigan_McKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    Another Detroiter. I would love to join in the fun. October is better for me, I have to spend September recovering from DragonCon :)

20. Scorched-Dewback

Scorched-Dewback Jedi Youngling

Jul 31, 2002
    OOOOH!!! Spiffy!!!

21. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Hmmmm, a southern happening could be fun. :)

Ferd, how close are you to WDW? (I'm already planning to be there for a week or so in January for our quasi-annual Disney trip...)
    Atlanta is of course, aces with me as well. :D
    StormtrooperPrincess I never realized you're in the south too!
    Coolness!

My schedule is insane until after DragonCon (Labor Day weekend) and then is only semi-insane up through Halloween. And then gets insane again preparing for the holidays.
    But I'd be willing to wedge something else in. ;P

-sg

22. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    OK, well how about this. We need to start talking in actual dates/places, rather than general ones.

So far it seems like the place to have it is either in Indy or Columbus. Both cities have lots of hotels and stuff where we could have it. Both have interesting things to do aside from just our little party.

For times, it seems like September/October are the times people are interested in.

So how about this. Everyone post what works best for them: October or September; Indy or Columbus.

I vote for October in Columbus. It would coincide with "All American Quarter Horse Congress" here in Columbus -- great place to look for boots and stuff, if you're in the market. You could get really nice leather boots for dirt cheap.

Any other votes?

23. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    SG I'm only about 20 miles from the mouse house.
    That would be sooooo cool if we could plan a kind of "Lock-In" where we could rent a type of place where we could bring our machines and sleep on the floor.
    Of course, O Town has a lot to offer for tourists, but I wouldn't mind traveling north at all.
    If we had a Southern meeting Jan would be great. I would really have to plan out a vacation around going WAY up north-- It's a big deal for us because we aren't used to that COLD weather. :)
    FERD

24. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    World Costume Con is here in Chicago next year!

25. DarthJurist

Dec 10, 2000
    Indianapolis in October.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.