main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Middle trilogy, lost opportunity?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by DarthBlanco, Jan 9, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    They could always make a movie about the birth of the Rebellion.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    They did; it's called ROTS (especially if you include the deleted scenes). :p

Also, geckos and chameleons are not the same thing... haha.

3. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Based on that logic, AOTC is about Anakin becoming Vader.

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Well, AOTC does show us steps along the way to his Vaderhood. But no, it's not as explicit as the scenes (mostly deleted, as I said) of early Rebellion-forming as in ROTS. It's not the primary focus of the movie, but it's there.

5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Here's my pitch:

One of the Jedi who escaped Order 66 went dark side crazy. He allied himself with Dark Sun types or pirates or whatever. Now he wants revenge on Vader and Palps no matter what. He plans to blow up Coruscant which of course would kill billions in the process. There is only one man capable of stopping him: Darth Vader. Vader will stop at nothing to protect the security of the imperial capital. But can he overcome the self doubts he has because of his new cybernetics and his defeat on Mustafar?

To all the naysayers regarding Vader: Dark Horse puts Vader in the role of protagonist all the time and it works well. Stories like Lost Command have shown that he is more than just a scary mask and brutish demeanor. Hidden behind all that is a twisted yet complex psyche.

6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    What about a spinoff movie about Darth Vader: taking place between ROTS and ANH...and it could focus on the internal struggle of Darth Vader as he gets used to using the Darkside and getting used to his new mechanical suit, and his frustration about losing Padme And hunting down the Jedi etc...? That could be interesting...

I would watch it anyway!

Poor Greedo and darklordoftech like this.
  7. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    The period between ROTS and ANH is for the Live Action series. That's why there is basically very little EU in this gap. George Lucas forbidden it. I see no reason why Disney shouldn't make use of this project in the coming years. Apparently the scripts of season 1 are already written. The main reason why this project has stalled is for financial reasons. It was too expensive for Lucasfilm under Lucas. Now that it is under Disney's corporate umbrella I think it will not be much of an issue. I've read somewhere that negotiations between Lucasfilm and ABC have taken place. It make sens since ABC is owned by Disney. Come to that it would be awesome if the guys of LOST with Abrams were in charge. Otherwise I can see the Scott's brothers (Tony Scott and Ridley Scott) there in charge as they can do great Sci-Fi production so why not a try with SW.

8. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Not sure the live action series is all it was advertised to be. Who would even watch Sopranos in space? Mob series are interesting because we know the Mafia really exists. SW and Sopranos has different target groups.

Additionally, the series is supposedly about "non-known" characters which isn't very interesting for anyone who expects Jedi or Darth Vader.

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I was actually thinking that Mothma or one of the Organas could be the protagonist, but your idea is interesting too.
    "Non-known" characters can be affected by "known" characters and would reflect the will of the people of the galaxy.

DarthBoba likes this.
  10. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I think the missed opportunity trilogy was between episode 6 and 7. Darn...and to think we could have had the sequel trilogy years ago with the OT actors still being all prettyful if they had made them earlier. Darn but what can ya do.

11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Well if they're reserving the period between revenge of the Sith and a new hope for something different or special, then they better get down to it! Since the EU has been first created, we've heard hardly anything about that time.

What are we still waiting for!? Let's go!!

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I get the impression that the Lucas way of thinking was "movies for the saga, tv for everything else" while the Disney way of thinking is "movies for everything".

13. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Give Disney a few years to get the hang of the material they have. With the success of The Avengers Disney is planning on expanding the Marvel Cinematic Universe with the TV series S.H.I.E.L.D. this fall.

14. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    That's interesting. What kind of story are you thinking about? A typical "stop the empire" plot from the rebels point of view?

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm not sure what kind of story. Perhaps the realization that the Empire needs to be stopped?

16. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Some of the stuff that happens between 3 and 4 would be cool to see, but its not really part of the story being told in the movies. That being said, I wouldnt call it a missed opportunity.

17. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    For a second there I thought you meant middle trilogy as in taking place between Episode VI and VII.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing a ROTS continuation storyline.

18. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    Tony Scott is dead, he committed suicide about a year ago...

19. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    A lot of people, I would think.

The original Alien was pitched to the studios as "Jaws in space" and a lot of people watched that.

Anything popular can be recycled into a space setting and it will make dollars, just look at Leprechaun in Space. Okay, bad example, but you get my point

Rawne likes this.
  20. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    'Middle' Trilogy? Nah. It'd fail. The audience would know, even more so than with the Prequels, how it ends. The Jedi would have to die and Vader has to end up chasing down the Death Star plans. First film would be a commercial mega hit but the other two would be the biggest case of "same **** different day" in film history. We've already seen Anakin's fall from grace, we don't need three movies of Vader brooding over Padme's death and hunting down 'Jedi of the Week'.

But I definitely think a Dark Times Vader spin-off will be coming our way at some point.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  21. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    I actually think it would be more like 'Dallas in space', but I think even more people would watch it in that case.

22. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    What I want for the Dark Times era.

-Underground TV Series
    -Kenobi Movie
    -Darth Vader
    -Dark Times Animated Series
    -More Comics Series
    -A nice novels series

23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Personally I enjoyed the sylized CGI - I didn't actually feel like I was watching a cartoon.

24. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    That's because there is no Jedi at that time. Anyone who expected to see Vader at that time should read or play The Force Unleashed even though the story of starkiller isn't very good.

Sum-Wan Gosh I didn't know that!

25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I disagree. Some probably escaped Order 66 and were hunted down during Dark Times by Vader.