main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Midi-chlorians in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by StarWarren, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarWarren

StarWarren Jedi Master

Jun 28, 2003
    What role, if any, will midi-chlorians play in episode VII? Outside of TPM, there is no mention of midi-chlorians in the movies, but I think midi-chlorians can play an important role in the sequel trilogy as they have in the EU.

Perhaps episode VII will reveal the devious experiments of Sidious' secret lab that have continued to operate after the Battle of Endor. This could be the source or catalyst of new villains that try to thwart the renewal of the Republic. Since a recurring theme of Star Wars is nature versus the unnatural, the "dark" manipulation of midi-chlorians to create or destroy life would be an appropriate continuation of those themes in the sequel trilogy.

What do you guys think?

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I am actually genuinely curious of Luke (and Leia's!) midi-chorlian count number if only for geekery bookkeeping purposes compared to Anakin. But I doubt it'll get a shout-out since that is one of the more loudly decried aspects of the PT people seem to keep harping on.

3. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I'm hoping it isn't mentioned at all.

4. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Lord I hope not. Just write it off please.

5. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    There's no real need to mention it unless the story revolves around artificially made Jedi or something like you described. Both are unlikely story directions.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    According to Lucas, they're the same as Anakin.

BigAl6ft6 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if they'll be retconned out of existence with Luke saying, "Those who trained me believed in life-forms called Midi-chlorians, but the existence of Midi-chlorians has since been disproven."

QsAssistant and Grand_Moff_Jawa like this.
  8. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999

That would be my answer to that thread about things that would get you mad enough to leave the theater.

9. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    A terrible concept that should be left in the past.

10. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    I really don;t understand why so many of you write it off as a terrible concept. Either you never paid attention to what Qui-Gon said in TPM, or you are just complainin' for the sake of complainin. If they are neccesary for the story then yes, include them, that would be a great way to piss off the haters.

11. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    We paid attention, and we aren't complaining for the sake of complaining. This is our honest opinion on the matter.

Part of the problem is, we paid attention to what Yoda had to say about the force too. And that force didn't involve force beings living in your blood.

12. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I sure hope it's included. Midi-chlorians were a very intriguing concept mentioned in the prequels. I hope it at least gets a mention.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I too am in the pro-midis camp.

By the way, it is never, anywhere, even suggested that midis ARE The Force.

14. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Yes, I'd love mention of midichlorians in Ep 7. Of course, in subtle terms, in one sentence, on the wall.
    Midichlorians are a great idea, wonderful concept so... Bring it on.

15. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    I've seen this attitude so many times here, where people say they don't understand a strong feeling of rejection towards something, stating that people should not complain because it's "logical". Because Qui Gon had a line where the midichlorians is logically explained, we should buy it and never discuss it?

There are tons of reasons why this concept sucks. I believe it actually symbolizes what's wrong with these awful prequels.

One of the things that bugs me the most is the fact that you make the spiritual aspect become bland and boring by having an element used to explain its nature biologically. It means you can have a notion of a jedi's strength and abilities by a blood sample. If you bring this logic up and if fans defend it because of how logical it is, well then let's talk logic. Imagine the practical implications it can have to the galaxy to have force measured in such a scientific way. Do you think people would talk about the force being a superstition just 20 years after jedi were the guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy? Of course not, because it wouldn't be superstitious, it would be *****ing science!

"What's that Han?? Hokey religion?? Hey let me show you Yoda's midichlorian count, it's science, man. Oh you don' remember Yoda? He was the little green fella that 20 years ago was like the third most important person in the galaxy, he had a little lightsaber too. Heck, let's see if you have some force in ya! Just a little drop of blood, come on! don't be a wuss!"

The next thing you know is that you have a classroom full of midi chlorian tested kids with their cgi alien faces and their little lightsabers, making the cutest statements about things being lost from the archive memory. For me, it's absurd and boring. It makes the whole jedi business suck.

Who would want to be a jedi?! So you are born, you get tested, your parents find out you are jedi material so they are forced to give you away. You train in this cute playrooms and are handed the most dangerous weapon ever at age 4, then you grow up to be a humorless monk who has probably never felt love for anything but the force, which, by the way, it's a measurable thing in your blood stream.

Has the whole world gone grazy?! Am I the only one who gives a **** about the force?!

SithHorseman, JStepp, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  16. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I think it's better if they don't mention them again.

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I believe the novelization clarifies that those aren't real lightsabers the children use- but harmless training ones.

18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Are you aware that:
    1. Midis are NOT The Force.
    2. The Jedi don't kidnap Force-sensitives. Rather, they adopt them.

19. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    The force doesn't lose any of the spiritual aspects at all, it's very much the same thing Obi Wan and Yoda explained in the original three movies. The force is a mystical energy field, and the midichlorians have absolutely nothing to do with the force itself. Nothing about the midichlorians contradicts the OT, nor has the force changed one bit.

I don't see any need to mention them in the ST. They were in the PT for one particular reason, and that story arch ended with the deaths of Vader and the Emperor. The only way it could be necessary would be for the old EU 'my badguy is infinitely more powerful than any other badguy of SW' approach that quite a few authors used in the past.

20. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    If they didn't have anythign to do with the force, there would be no use in testing for them. Obviously they are the connection between the physical being and the force. They are a biological component.

Yoda tells us we are not our bodies. Obviously if you need midiclorians, you are.

Yoda dismisses the biological component of reality with disdain. He calls our bodies crude matter. This is not a man who has ever heard of a force bacteria

21. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999

1. Please explain. I only referred to it as an arbitrary scientific concept, present in the form of molecules possibly, to measure the force sensitivity on a living being, not the force itself.
    2. Sure, who said kidnap? and why does it matter?

I really don't see how this nitpick remarks defy an opinion in any way, this is not a factual discussion. We're not talking about the validity of logic here, actually my point was that is precisely this type of attitude that permeates debate and divides the fan base.

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    "forced to give you away"
    "explain its nature biologically" "science, not superstition"

Andy Wylde likes this.
  23. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999

Giving away is not the same as having your kid stolen for selfish reasons. Parents who give away their children do it for adoption.

And the things you quoted from my previous post about midichlorians only allude to them as a scientific measurement, not the force itself and what's worse is that it really doesn't matter. I wanted to discuss something not to respond to defensive allegations where logic serves as the moderator.

Star Wars is not about logic, man. These are movies about space battles, mystical energy fields, kissing brothers, weird aliens and GONK droids. These films (like any other) are about the ride, the thrills, the emotion.

I stand by what I previously posted and welcome the discussion as long as it's not about how things are forced to make sense because of logic or semantics.

24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Which is exactly what I was saying. Babies are given away to the Jedi, not stolen by the Jedi.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  25. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    Ok, we agree on something then, I guess.

To get back on topic:

I hope there's no need to mention them at all. They are only mentioned in one movie, probably thew worst one, and it used as a minor plot device. It would be wise to keep it at that. I'm sure if someone made a comprehensive Star Wars survey, rejection towards the midichlorian concept would be more than 80%.

JStepp likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.