main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Midi-chlorians in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by StarWarren, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013

Great post, I agree with this 100%.

2. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I like where this is going. Continue.

3. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Based on the PT, I think you are correct.

The Force is still the Force, an energy field generated by all living things.
    The Midis are a microscopic lifeform and what they do, very basically, is act like middlemen. They provide a means for other beings to use the power of the Force and listen to the Force's will.
    If you have loads of midis then you have an easier access to the Force or you can hear it more strongly.
    If you have few midis, either you can not access the Force in any way, or only in a very limited way.

I don't think the midis themselves can regulate how easy their host can use the Force, it is simply a matter of numbers. Many midis, easy use, few midis, weak use.
    Wheter the midis themselves are in any way sentient is unclear. They are microscopic and given that 20 000 of them can fit inside one cell, they would be very small indeed. Perhaps about the size of a starch molecule. Given that small size, sentience is unlikely.

If what Qui-Gon said is true, that Anakin was concieved by the midis then it is likely that this was done on order by the Force. So that means that the Force can "talk" to the midis and get them to do things. Perhaps the Force can not act on it's own in the physical world, it might need an agent in some fashion. If what Palpatine said is true then a strong Force user can also "talk" to the midis and get them to do things.

Questions that I have wondered about are, if number of midis matter, why is only the number per cell important? If all the midis in one cell can work together and provide a strong connection to the Force, why can't all the midis in your body to the same?
    How would a blood transfusion work, would the midis in the donated blood imideatly alter their number to fit the new body? How would they know? If they can "talk" with all the other midis then we are back to the first question.
    Why would the number of midis be constant? The midis are a separte life form, they would reproduce independent of the host. So if they lack "food" the number of midis would go down and vice versa.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

4. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I think the Midi's are something that may or may not be seen in the ST.

One could look at them in Ep I simply as a way for Qui-Gon to recongize Anakin as "The Chosen One".

However, the mention in Ep III brings them back to the table as a possible element down the road in the ST. That being said, they could possibly be mentioned indirectly. Not ignored, but not a focus.

For example, should Darth Plagueis be involved, things could focus on the Midi's as an element both side are volleying for control of....

or

Plagueis could simply say something like "I CREATED THE CHOSEN ONE!!" (if in fact thats the case) We would all certainly know what he was referring to.......

SethTheSith likes this.
  5. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    If Plagueis were to turn out to be the baddie, I think midiclorians would definitely be in the story. Well, maybe not definitely, but it would seem a strong indicator

6. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

I'd love to, but I'm at work at the moment so can't spend too much time, and also, I haven't given it much thought yet as I only had the idea the moment I posted it. feel free to expand upon it yourself ;)

7. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Doesn't mean the Emperor wouldn't have secret programs going behind the backs of the Senate. It goes on in our own day.

Bye for now,
    Old Fragwagon

Immortiss and Sarge like this.
  8. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013

That is so you knowhattin' funny!

9. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    I was under the impression that all the midis in the body do work together to provide a strong connection to the force, and that the measurement per cell provided all the data required to gauge the strength of the average jedi. At least, this seems to be the case according to George Lucas, who stated that Anakin actually lost some of his ability to use the force when he lost parts of his body.

I've always seen it as a network, wherein the midis of a single cell are the most basic components of the network, but the same structure of communication exists between midis from cell to cell.

10. Bravesteel

Bravesteel Jedi Knight

Jul 31, 2013
    I actually like the way the book Darth Plagueis kind of tries to correct the Midi-Chlorians concept a little. He essentially discovers that they and their number have nothing to do with how force sensitive someone is, a human could have a very low count and be powerful in the Force. It kept both the Midi-Chlorians and by extension the Force a mystery which was a pretty interesting way to go about it.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  11. Aegon Starcaster

Jun 27, 2013
    Interesting. I never read that one.

12. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    This would seem the most logical approach. However this would mean that if you have more cells, ie a bigger body, then you have more midis in total and then your strength in the Force increases. This would in turn conflict with what Yoda said in ESB, how you should not judge him by his size.
    I have heard of the Lucas quote as well and this would match the idea, more cells = more Force power. But I have also seen many deny this and argue that it is ONLY the conc per cell that matters, not how big your body is or the total number of midis in your body.
    If body size matters then the space slug in ESB would have a HUGE amount of midis and thus be the most powerful Force user ever.

I don't know myself how this is supposed to work. If conc per cell is what matters, then body size would be irrelevant. But then you have the problem I mentioned and a possible problem with what Lucas said about Anakin loosing Force potential by loosing body parts. If the total number is what counts then the bigger you are, the better and we could very much judge Yoda by his size.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  13. Aegon Starcaster

Jun 27, 2013
    That space slug just might be the most powerful force user ever! It might explain what his mynoks were feeding off of all that time :)

I think all the problems you presented here, might be why Bravesteel mentioned the Darth Plagueis novel tries to correct the midi concept. Perhaps his use of the word correct was well chosen? I haven't read it, so I don't know the details, but perhaps the whole mess is cleared up a little in that. The short answer is that I don't think GL put all that much thought into the concept. So no matter how hard we try to answer these questions, it really won't stand up to a lot of scrutiny, which probably just reinforces a lot of people's opinions that midis were a bad idea.

Also, I would have to wonder, if the midis in one cell are all that matters, what determines which cell does all the work? It seems impossible that if all the cells were working to achieve a common goal, that they wouldn't multiply the potency of the communication.

14. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    I agree.

15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Note: Moved this over from the archives and dusted it off for new activity.

16. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Thanks EHT

EHT likes this.
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Woot!

Round 8! Fight!

City Councilman Binks and EHT like this.
  18. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    Any good rumors today guys?

Millennium Fairlane likes this.
  19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Stop, you!

20. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I wonder what's Rey's midi count???:p

21. Millennium Fairlane

Millennium Fairlane Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2014
    I wonder if Luke constructed his new Midichlorian Laboratory on the island before or after his stone hut?

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Maybe he is holed up in Plagueis' lab. It was dedicated to pretty much exactly that.

Immortiss likes this.
  23. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    In terms of the basic philosophy of Star Wars the midi-chlorians can be used to sum it all up.

ANAKIN : Master, sir...I've been wondering...what are midi-chlorians?
    QUI-GON : Midi-chlorians are a microcopic lifeform that reside within all
    living cells and communicates with the Force.
    ANAKIN : They live inside of me?
    QUI-GON : In your cells. We are symbionts with the midi-chlorians.
    ANAKIN : Symbionts?
    QUI-GON : Life forms living together for mutual advantage. Without the
    midi-chlorians, life could not exist, and we would have no knowledge of the
    Force. They continually speak to you, telling you the will of the Force.
    ANAKIN : They do??
    QUI-GON : When you learn to quiet your mind, you will hear them speaking to
    you.
    ANAKIN : I don't understand.
    QUI-GON : With time and training, Annie...you will.

Star Wars is about how beings working together for mutual advantage can achieve great things. People working together which makes things better for all. The Naboo and Gungans working together, the Rebels and Ewoks. Life helping life to overcome those that bring death and destruction the greedy Trade Federation and the greedy Empire.

The Will of the Force is for beings to work together. To listen to the Force. The basic way of the Jedi. Selflessness and sacrifice.

The Sith don't want to listen to the Will of the Force. They are about imposing their own will on the Force and to gets other to do things for their own advantage not mutual advantage for all but single advanage for themselves. Selfishness and sacrificing others.

LUKE The Force?

BEN Well, the Force is what gives a Jedi
    his power. It's an energy field
    created by all living things. It
    surrounds us and penetrates us. It
    binds the galaxy together.
    To me they open up the myticism to a higher level of discussion as we have seen in the prequel era and especially that last TCW arc with Yoda.

Andy Wylde and Flapjack4 like this.
  24. Millennium Fairlane

Millennium Fairlane Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2014
    Obi-Wan took The Force for Dummies and turned it into The Tao of Physics. It was only after decades of communing alone with the Force that Ben fully realized its true nature.

25. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.