main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Midi-chlorians in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by StarWarren, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Millennium Fairlane

Millennium Fairlane Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2014
    As far as the movie making is concerned, I think a key will be never addressing any of this. Leave it as it stands, and some will see magical science and some will see mysticism. Let everyone have their own head mythology and offend none, safest course.

Dak Oolron and vinsanity like this.
  2. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    Exactly. The Matrix Reloaded for example.

3. Rhane-1138

Rhane-1138 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 9, 2001

I'm certain that Disney/Lucasfilm is going to try to please as many people as possible which basically means leaving open the possibilities of magic or mysticism, like you said.

But to that end they definitely could mention midichlorians in some specific way as part of an effort to make it far more clear that both midichlorians and a mystical magical energy field can and do co-exist.

4. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    I say make midichlorians a disproven theory a few years down the line.

5. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    I like it, it adds a scientific aspect to the 'mystical force' and lets face it, as a species we want answers to the 'proverbial questions'. I just cant understand the vehement dislike of it.. it boggles me

Wildcatbarry and Iron_lord like this.
  6. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    I think star wars was supposed to be a breath of fresh air as it left a lot to be ambiguous in a time of cynicism and a demand for answers.Trying to show everything about everything can only hurt the franchise.

Dra--- likes this.
  7. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Yeah. I agree with that.

8. Millennium Fairlane

Nov 29, 2014

my opinion: when we first generation SW fans saw the OT, we could all imagine we too could use the Force, it was mystical, and led to a very active childhood fantasy life. What they did with the m-word is take that dream away. We were all Muggles, nothings, gutter dogs, minions to midichlorian-bearing overlords, there was no hope. People were crushed. Sounds stupid? Maybe, but it was a gut reaction.

I bet you kind of had to be there to really understand.

Dra--- likes this.
  9. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    ok so your childhood was crushed give me a break. you're an adult now get over it. I am of the 'first generation SW Fans' so what? its not that serious batman

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I was there, I grew up with the OT.

I heard Luke tell Leia that the Force runs strong in his family. I also saw the Emperor freaking out about the possibility of "the son of Skywalker" becoming a Jedi. Not just any random kid, but the son of Skywalker specifically. So yeah... genetic predisposition to Force strength was strongly implied in the OT, and then further explained in the PT. No disconnect. The OT didn't tell you to just give up, but it didn't say that anyone had an equal chance, either.

11. Millennium Fairlane

Nov 29, 2014

I didn't say that so don't put words in my mouth. I am long since "over it"... And furthermore, I am not batman, unfortunately. my car is nowhere near as effective as his would be on my commute.

12. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    It was unnecessary imo. It took something that was meant to be spiritual and tried to provide a "scientific" basis for it, and there was no real reason to do it. Not only is it awkward continuity-wise, but it was clearly just there to try and emphasize how "important" Space Messiah Anakin was.

13. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Yep.

Millennium Fairlane likes this.
  14. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Let's not pretend that the Force wasn't once more an issue of faith than scientific fact. Whether or not it ran strong in a family could have been interpreted mystically -- maybe that family had strong faith in the Force? Maybe the Force chose them for some enigmatic reason?

I'm not a hater of Midis per se, but it's easy to see how it changed the story. And not for the better.

15. Rhane-1138

Rhane-1138 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    Midichlorians reside in all living cells. If you have cells you can use The Force. So if you want to be a Jedi (although based on what we've seen that's a pretty sorry organization to aspire to be a part of) you totally can. Assuming you are, you know, made up of cells.

Perhaps, though, if you had more midichlorians than other beings you would find that using The Force comes easier for you, or that perhaps you can do more with The Force than others...

16. Millennium Fairlane

Nov 29, 2014
    If they really wanted to get all sciency and since they were based on mitochondria, they could have had fun with the maternal inheritance issue... sorry, Luke, my bad. You got your mom's midichlorians!

17. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I believe that was the point of Yoda and Anakin having so many Midis.

The PT fell into a kind of creepy genetics view of uber-beings that is too close for comfort to the Nazi-darwinist dreams of genetic supermen.

Some are just born to rule!

18. Millennium Fairlane

Nov 29, 2014

second that! And then when you see the uber-beings in action, do you want to be ruled by them? no!

Dra--- likes this.
  19. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Qui-Gon was correct after all in Anakin being the chosen one.

I believe Qui-Gon was also correct in Anakin being conceived by the midichlorians. (not by Plagieus)

The Force sensed the manipulations (untruths\lies) of the Dark Side users\Sith (Plagieus and Sidious) and The Force conceived Anakin.

If Plagieus was able to manipulate midi-chlorians to create life I think the Force is wise enough to know this an develop a defensive mechanism (Chosen One) to combat it.

Qui-Gon was wise enough to not let dark side idols to control his thinking.

Qui-Gon fully believed and trusted in the Living Force.

20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Where did the PT say anything about more midichlorians = the right to rule?

Andy Wylde, Immortiss and Granek like this.
  21. Millennium Fairlane

Nov 29, 2014

I always thought this was more the reason for no Jedi marriages, rather than the one given-they recognized and avoided the danger.

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It didn't. It's an example of overstating things in order to support the "midichlorians are bad!!" viewpoint.

Immortiss, TheBBP and darklordoftech like this.
  23. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Man, does it irk me when people misunderstand what the Midis are

They aren't the cause of the Force nor are they the Force itself; they simply act a a medium for living Force-sensitives to connect to the Force. It's that simple. It demystifies nothing and, in a sense, makes it more mystical. How do they make this connection? It's never explained, and that's part of the magic

24. Millennium Fairlane

Nov 29, 2014
    Midichlorians exist, and they are apparently hereditary, so why not discuss the possible ramifications of that? And all possible ramifications are not all good. Seems an interesting discussion to me, but people are so tetchy in here. No fun.

Dra--- likes this.
  25. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah it basically reduces being strong with the force to "do you have enough mumbo jumbo cells in you?" And if you don't well then you're flat-out of luck. Also the only two times that they have ANY relevance at all are:

-Qui Gon's comments in TPM, which is just there to establish that Anakin has more of them than ANY Jedi, including Yoda.
    -Sheev's speech in ROTS, which is again all about Anakin.

Their ONLY real purpose at the end of the day, is to build Anakin up as "Space Jesus." They serve NO function other than that in the films.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.