main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

midi-chlorians in post-RotJ books

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by lazykbys, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazykbys

lazykbys Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2004
    Have midi-chlorians been mentioned at all in the post-RotJ books?

This entry in the CUSWE suggests otherwise (there aren't any post-RotJ books listed in the sources), but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks.

2. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I've read most of them and I don't think they have been mentioned. Unless it's in something I'm not aware of.

3. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

It's highly likely post-ROTJ Jedi didn't know about them since so much knowledge died with the Jedi Order during the Purge (or so is my guess)

4. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    I think LP is right. The greatest source of information about the Jedi that Luke found, the Jedi Holocron, never mentioned them, that I recall.

Jes

5. AlphaTrion-TJW

AlphaTrion-TJW Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2003
    Could be by the time of post-ROTJ that the specifics had been lost. Most likely in the rebuilt Republic the talent for using the force might just be viewed by medical personnel as a genetic variation in humans that most humans don't have.

6. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I've never read any mention about it in the post-ROTJ books. The first and only time that I've ever heard about it is TPM book and film. :)

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I've read all the books and I don't remember the post-Saga books ever mentioning midichlorians. Luke usually used a paddle device or his own innate sense through the Force...

8. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Here's a related question: what kind of a reception do you think a post-ROTJ fanfic involving midichlorians would receive? The general impression I get is that they're widely hated. I'm personally ambivalent about them, but I was bitten hard by a plot bunny years ago and never finished the story for fear of it simply getting flamed.

9. lurker2209

lurker2209 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2005
    I personally would find a story with midichlorians interesting, depending of course on the quality of writing and the specific plot and storylines involved.

I really think this goes to a person's philosophy on the Force and how it works. The Force is obviously spiritual, but according to Lucas it has a physical manifestation or maybe a physical cause, depending on how you see it.

Some people will always be uncomfortable with having physical causes for spiritual events. For example, a speaker in our church once mentioned a tsunami like effect that could have caused the parting of the Red Sea in Exodus. Some people were offended, and believed this "explination" made the event less of a miracle. The same is true for Star Wars. Some people will always believe that any type of physical evidence for the Force cheapens it, but certainly not everyone thinks that way.

I personally find midichlorians fascinating, and a have a few theories of my own on how they might work and how they are inherited. If you end up writing your story, let me know. I'd like to see your view of things!

~Lurker

10. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    I don't think that your story would get flamed, unless I'm giving fan ficcers more credit than they deserve. But I am sure that it would be given an honest chance. It all depends on how the concept is introduced. How do they gain that knowledge? I know that a lot of people don't like the idea of midi-chlorians, myself one of them, but they are there and we have to accept it. Anyway I say go for it. I like fan fics that challenge the reader in some way.

11. lazykbys

lazykbys Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2004
    First, many thanks to those who took the time to answer my question.

Second, I would love to read that story, ThePariah! I'm fascinated by the concept of midi-chlorians and what their existence indicate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.