main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Midi-chlorians were first conceived by George Lucas as early as 1977?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by X Wing, Jun 20, 2016.

1. TherapyEwok

TherapyEwok Jedi Knight

Jul 19, 2016
    So big news today: J. K. Rowling announced that what differentiates Muggles and Wizardfolk is actually a microscopic organism called wizochondria. There's actually a branch of the Ministry of Magic that collects blood samples from all newborns in the UK to check for levels of wizochondria.

She further explained that Harry's mother, in her sacrifice, transferred all the wizochondria in her body to Harry, and that Voldemort's curse was not powerful enough to deal with wizochondria levels above 20000. In fact, it caused a chemical reaction that deflected the curse (which is actually a magical virus that targets clusters of wizochondria, turning them against their hosts) back on Voldemort, thus destroying his body.

Despite criticism, Rowling insists this element has been present since the beginning, and cites personal notes she had just had printed off an officejet printer.

And hey man, I still feel the magic!

2. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    Thank God we finally know exactly how powerful Harry Potter was!

3. Tosche_Station

Tosche_Station Jedi Master star 2

Feb 9, 2015
    Hi, DarthCricketer!

And...even then , at the end of TPM, what does he do during that battle ?

Anakin: "OOPS!"

KaleeshEyes and DarthCricketer like this.
  4. E 50

E 50 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2016
    The concept of midichlorians isn't so bad, it's just that the movies took such a different path from all of that so it felt completely out of place. I think Star Wars very well could have been more of a Sci Fi story, but they decided that it was more fun to just go with the really fuzzy science of Death Stars and space dogfights instead...and it was for the best that they did.

It is frustrating to see George going back to retcon reality once again though. Is there a thread somewhere about that? Like an honest discussion about what George is really all about?

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Bashing of real people associated with Star Wars is not allowed here, so no, there would not be a specific thread about Lucas along the lines of what you are thinking.

6. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Sorted for E's and wizz...ochondria...

[​IMG]

KaleeshEyes and DarthCricketer like this.
  7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    ROTJ's treatment of the situation says nothing about "personality type" at all ( nor was Anakin ever described as "noble" anywhere outside of Internet message boards, but that's another problem ). On the contrary, it is indicated that any offspring of Anakin would have been expected to have the high potential handed down to them, regardless of personality, simply by virtue of heredity.

8. DarthCricketer

DarthCricketer Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2016
    Apart from exposition in S.W. or things like that. And as usual, your arguments are way too narrow, again; saying your family is strong in the force does not imply micro-organisms required in certain amounts to build up power-levels or anything like that. And as only Anakin had used the Force before Luke did, it doesn't really seem to run strong in the Skywalkers anyway.

9. Negotiator1138

Negotiator1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 23, 2016
    I've always liked the midichlorians for one specific reason. I think it shows that the jedi simply were more advanced. Naturally after a millenia of peace, the jedi had researched why some are more attuned to the force and why some are not. Obi-wan probably had no way of measuring midichlorians on tatooine, and also probably thought it very unimportant to Luke's training.

I actually think it would be very strange if the Jedi, after 1000 years of peace, had still not figured out why some were more force sensitive than others.

Also, I don't remember any backlash to the old EU mentions of "Force-Sensitivity" testing. If I recall correctly, the old EU, Luke had several different tests he used to determine how force sensitive a person was, or if they were at all. I don't remember any criticism at all of that.

Honestly, the only reason I can see for criticism of midichlorians at all is that people are actively searching for something gripe about. This I think is proved by the fact that ten years ago, I don't ever remember a single person complaining about midichlorians. Now, after everyone has heard the argument, they think, "Yeah! Midichlorians do suck!"

I think very few people actually had a problem with them in the first place. Everyone else is just parroting.

themoth likes this.
  10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Luke did use the Force without much Jedi training either. How do you think he was able to bullseye womprats like he did? He was using the Force without being aware that he was. Then, like his father, he is given a bit of a lesson and is able to make an incredible shot. Just as his father did.

11. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Agree. I have no problem with the concept. Some people are stronger in the Force than others. The Force is still a mystical concept but there's some reasoning behind its use by people.

12. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    What I like about Midichlorians is how they also portray the difference between Jedi and Sith. In Episode I Qui-Gon says: "... we are symbionts with them" In Episode III Darth Sidious says "[Darth Plagueis] could use the Force to influence the Midichlorians to create life," So basically Jedi have a equal relationship with these midichlorians, while the Sith attempt to rule them.

Kenobi1138, Torib and themoth like this.
  13. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Exactly. The Sith see the Force as a tool to be used for more selfish reasons, whereas the Jedi regard the Force with deeper respect and responsibility.

Kenobi1138 likes this.
  14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    What is this nonsense even supposed to mean? "S.W." says nothing of personality type, nor is Anakin ever called noble. These things do not appear in exposition in the film. They were invented by people on the internet. That's not quite the same thing, is it?

ROTJ says, in more than one place, that Anakin's offspring have high Force potential... as a result of being his offspring. The outcome being dependent on personality type is oddly not mentioned. An accidental oversight, perhaps?
    [​IMG]

The point was that there was a biologically inherited factor in Force potential. No one ever said that meant it had to be midichlorians or microorganisms. But one biologically inherited factor is as good as another. They are, for all intents and purposes, isomorphic. Something is being passed down; it might as well be midichlorian count. And the difference in "power levels" is inherent to the idea that some people are strong in the Force while others are not strong in the Force ( or else it becomes meaningless to say that someone is strong in the Force ).

Lucas and Luke both seem to disagree with you, for whatever that's worth. It appears you're just throwing out that "exposition" you supposedly care so much about, now that it's in your way. Sad.

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Hell, Abrams reused that line for the trailer for TFA.