main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Midichlorean Controversy

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by CyHunter, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reivned

reivned Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2003
    Hey guys and gals ... I'm new here I've been wondering ...

Considering the fact (wich I still believe is one of Lucas bigs mistakes in Ep1) that the use of the Force would be directly linked with the medichlorians count in the blood, how could Anakin still be that powerful as Vader since he's more machine than man ?

I mean since most of him is robotic, he probably has a lesser blood quantity necessary to irrigate the living tissues remaining and his brain, thus less blood would mean less medichlorians, less medichlorian would mean less powerful in the Force.

I know Anakin have he highest count ever, but still that would be a ****** explanation.

I grieve the good old days where feeling the Force was a natural gift you had at a various degree.

2. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    >>>>Considering the fact (wich I still believe is one of Lucas bigs mistakes in Ep1) that the use of the Force would be directly linked with the medichlorians count in the blood...

...which isn't a fact, as I've mentioned a couple of times...
    [EDIT- sorry to sound snappy, but it really isn't "directly linked" at all. Otherwise Anakin would be able to "use the Force" in TPM already, and his training would be no big deal.]

>>>>...how could Anakin still be that powerful as Vader since he's more machine than man ?

I mean since most of him is robotic, he probably has a lesser blood quantity necessary to irrigate the living tissues remaining and his brain, thus less blood would mean less medichlorians, less medichlorian would mean less powerful in the Force.

Midichlorian counts are concentrations.

If you have a pint of beer that's 5% alcohol, then you spill half of it, what you have left is still 5% alcohol.

>>>>I grieve the good old days where feeling the Force was a natural gift you had at a various degree.

How's that any different now?

3. reivned

reivned Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2003
    -- " EDIT- sorry to sound snappy, but it really isn't "directly linked" at all. Otherwise Anakin would be able to "use the Force" in TPM already, and his training would be no big deal. " --

He is using the Force in TPM (his extraordinary piloting skills, for exemple), though he's not aware of it. it's just natural to him and comes by itself.

(Edit: hmm I guess you meant a conscious and meant use of the Force by writing "use of the Force"... still I think that could be done to a certain and very limited extent without a training, by trial and errors, though that would required to be aware of the concept)

The training still is big deal. You could have, for exemple, a natural and genetic pediposition for running that makes you run faster then most people , but still you wouldn't be able to go to the olympics without a proper training to further develop your abilities.

--" Midichlorian counts are concentrations.

If you have a pint of beer that's 5% alcohol, then you spill half of it, what you have left is still 5% alcohol. " --

I agree, but the effect of alcool on you body will be greater if you drink the whole pint than if you drink half of it.

Concentration of course doesn't differ with quantity, but more blood means more midichlorians you can be symbiots with and use to tap the Force.

4. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    >>>He is using the Force in TPM (his extraordinary piloting skills, for exemple), though he's not aware of it. it's just natural to him and comes by itself.

Well, there's a difference between the Force being strong with someone and someone being strong with the Force- betwen it controlling your actions and obeying your commands.

The Force certainly seems to be controlling Anakin's actions in TPM, but I don't see anything where it's obeying his commands- that's what I mean by "using the Force", and is what people need Jedi training in order to learn.

[EDIT- you beat me to the edit. ;)]

>>>Concentration of course doesn't differ with quantity, but more blood means more midichlorians you can be symbiots with and use to tap the Force.

"Judge me by my size, do you?"

Sure, you'd have more midichlorians, but Qui Gon talks about midichlorian counts as a concentration. Plus, when Obi Wan takes Anakin's count, he only takes it from a tiny sample of blood. To work out how many were in Anakin's body, he'd have to know how big he was etc.

It seems that the concentration is the relevant factor- not the total number.

5. reivned

reivned Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2003
    "Judge me by my size, do you?"

That is indeed a very good point you're making here.

I just hate the whole midichlorians thingy and I have decided to erase it from my mind and pretend it never happened, like Lucas did with it in Ep2 ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.