main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Midichlorian Count

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sithreaper, Sep 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheJediMan

TheJediMan Jedi Youngling star 2

May 1, 2005
    GL has said on more then one occassion that Luke has the same potential as Anakin. So there is no logical arguement saying anybody has more potential then Luke. Remember GL has said that Anakin had more potential then any force user ever. And since GL gets to decide these things, it means no one has more potential then Luke, that's all there is too it. So stop making arguments for characters having more potential then Luke because you are a fan of that character, or because you don't like Luke.

2. Mandalorian-Jedi

Mandalorian-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2005
    If they have Solo blood, they can't really be any worse off. It just means that when they're shot, the blast will diverge and kill the attacker, due to luck at the very last minute :p

3. Sith-Pirate

Sith-Pirate Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2001
    So, the question is who's right - Kyp or Luke?

No, actually the question is, who's right - Kyp and Luke or George Lucas?

Luke is always lowering himself to other peoples' level, where Kyp is always elevating himself above others. Neither is right.

4. TheJediMan

May 1, 2005
    George Lucas is right, because as I said before what he says is the full truth. And he said Luke had the same potential as Anakin, who GL said had more potential then any other Force sensitive being hgas had or ever will have. the deabte is over, Luke is more powerful, and has more potential. Kyp certainly has alot of potential, but he won't ever live up to it because of his attitude. And because of his occasional mental lapse.

5. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    The Jedi Man

And he said Luke had the same potential as Anakin, who GL said had more potential then any other Force sensitive being hgas had or ever will have. the deabte is over, Luke is more powerful, and has more potential. Kyp certainly has alot of potential, but he won't ever live up to it because of his attitude. And because of his occasional mental lapse.

Hi Jedi Man, i have heard GL has said that in the ESB commentary, but do you know any articles or where he has said it.(if possible can you have a direct quote ?) I do believed myself that force potentially wise luke and anakin are equal.:)

6. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Potential is not midi-chlorians, though. ;)

7. IceHawk-181

IceHawk-181 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2004
    Gah, why don't we have a quote archive?

Yes, Lucas did say Luke had the same potential as Anakin had.
    That was the primary reason Palpatine wanted the boy,a "new" version of his hobbled Dark Lord.

8. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    IceHawk-181

Gah, why don't we have a quote archive?

that is not a bad idea.

Yes, Lucas did say Luke had the same potential as Anakin had.

where did u hear that ? don't worry i totally agree, it's just i want find some direct quotes.

That was the primary reason Palpatine wanted the boy,a "new" version of his hobbled Dark Lord.

i agree.

9. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    This really still has nothing to do with the biological aspect of it, IMO. Luke had the potential (in the Force - and I would say this is more than midichlorians/power, it's demeanor, background, circumstances, etc.) because Anakin quit growing on Mustafar. Had Anakin not been de-limbed... who knows?

10. IceHawk-181

IceHawk-181 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2004
    In one of Lucas?s Movie commentaries he stated that Palpatine was looking to replace Vader with Luke because Luke?s potential had not been curtailed as Vader?s had been.

We know Anakin was potentially 200% of Palpatine?s capabilities, but due to his injuries became something like 80%.
    When Luke tapped the Dark Side for a moment in the Throne Room he bested Vader very quickly, already showing parity with that level of power.

Palpatine did not fear any Jedi of Yoda?s Order, save Anakin.

The way I saw Midichlorian counts was, not as a measure of power, or even of potential.
    Instead I saw Midichlorian counts as the ease by which a person communicates with the Force.
    The higher you midis, the easier it is to tap into the power.

An average Jedi must put the world out of his mind, quite his thoughts, and strain to hear the force first.
    Thus the basis of the Jedi Order?s initial training in Force-usage.
    Beings with massive midi-counts have an easier time of hearing the Force however, and can forgo the almost meditative process required of a Jedi Knight.

Easy access plus extensive training would result in a highly powerful individual.

Luke?s status in Yoda?s Jedi Order would likely by that of a Padawan in his final stages.
    When Anakin was at this point in his training he was powerful enough to worry the Jedi Order and threaten Dooku, a regal Jedi Master in his own right.
    Luke on the other hand is capable of threatening Vader in ESB, and a few short years later with truly little advancement of his training, is able to outright best him.

The parity between Anakin?s encounters with Dooku and Luke?s encounters with Vader are worth noting.
    Darth Vader is stronger than even Count Dooku, but Luke shows the same ease at defeating Vader that Anakin showed in defeating Dooku.

I find it likely that there is little, if any, dilution in the passing on of Midichlorians.
    The likelihood that there is instead an additive process of increasing concentrations throughout the generations is a possibility.
    Padme was rather strong in the Force, as noted by Anakin and Kenobi, and might have been able to produce Force-sensitive children on her own.

Perhaps this is one of the reasons the Jedi Order removed marriage and love from their Knight?s lives.
    If highly powerful Jedi have a child that can easily tap into the Force without training, the threat of that child falling to the Dark Side is greatly increased.

11. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    thanks IceHawk! but i did mention already the ESB commentary, i was hoping that you heard more things from GL on the matter. anywho yeah i agree with the parrels you made between luke and anakin. also in the ROTJ novelization palpatine felt fear of luke's power, so that should be considered as well.

12. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    This is ntohing, Goku had evels well into the millions, even billions.

I think we've got a fundamental misunderstanding here.

first I would agree with Ice Hawk's characterization that midi's are more the ease one has communicating with the force then a measure of power.

and yet Anakin at the same time lacked the fundamental connection that other less gifted held.

Hell Anakin was defeated by Obi-Wan, so obviously even if anakins are higher, then Obiwans must be high too, but Yoda would have been higher then Obi Wan and.... No wait....

The duels in Star Wars, are almost exclusively more about the relationship between the two people then the levels of their midichlorians. trying to reduce it to mere power levels is foolish for the same reason a team with a winning record doesn't always beat a team with a loosing record.

Numbers dont tell the whole story, they dont even tell most of it.

Ben Skywalker could have a count of 3000 and be twice the Jedi his father was and regularly defeat him in duels. Kyp could have twice the count of Anakin and still get wthpwned repeatedly.

It's also worth noting that the genetic explination for force potential is given faaar too much signifigance.

13. TheJediMan

May 1, 2005
    Srry I don't know where I read the quotes from GL, just that I read them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.