main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Midichlorian question.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Teyl_Phanan, Aug 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teyl_Phanan

Teyl_Phanan Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2002
    If the number of midichlorians that a person has increases their potential power within the force. Wouldn't it be easy to assume that Darth Vader would become weaker becasue he was "more machine now than human," as Obi-Wan put it. So, why is this not so?

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It's a percentage, not a flat number. It doesn't matter how much blood you have, just how many midi-chlorians there are in relation to the amount of blood.

3. Goreld

Goreld Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2002
    Hopefully once George Lucas finishes the movies and looks the other way, a brave author will prove that midichlorians have NOTHING to do with the force. They're as terrible an idea as Jar-Jar. Almost.

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah! And [insert additional clichéd complaint here]!

5. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I second the motion to remove midichlorians completely! Was GL on deathsticks or something?

6. JediOasis

JediOasis Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2002
    The Midichlorians weren't a bad idea. Lucas needed to show that Anakin was potentially the strongest of all the Jedi. It also showed that Anakin doesn't have a father, no need for another father surprise. And if Lucas doesn't do away with the idea I don't think he'd allow an author to contradict his idea.

7. Ben_Max

Ben_Max Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 22, 2001
    I remember him saying something like he always envisioned Jedi-ability as more scientific. That he really didn't want it to seem so much of a religious thing as the OT made it come across. I don't know why, since references to religion are already all over all the movies.

8. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "One method of detection is through blood sampling -- those with great Force potential often have high midi-chlorian counts in their bloodstream."-starwars.com

Often=not always, those with great force potential do not always have high midi-chlorian counts.

9. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    hopefully he will come up with a good explanation in EP 3

10. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    On a side note, what if there is a surprise father in Episode III?

If Anakin's father was a powerful Dark Sider, he could have had a relationship with Shmi, wiped her memory, and sold her into slavery.

What if Dooku is Anakin's father, and started the chain of chopping off the hand of the son?

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    On a side note, what if there is a surprise father in Episode III?

If Anakin's father was a powerful Dark Sider, he could have had a relationship with Shmi, wiped her memory, and sold her into slavery.

What if Dooku is Anakin's father, and started the chain of chopping off the hand of the son?

I've often posited the theory that Palpatine/Sidious was a likely choice for this as he had some serious fixation on cloning in his later years (Dark Empire) and had to have refined the process some over the decades before. So he likely tried several combinations of genetic fertilizations and cloning techniques, and Anakin could likely be either the only viableon or the most powerful one...

12. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Hopefully once George Lucas finishes the movies and looks the other way, a brave author will prove that midichlorians have NOTHING to do with the force. They're as terrible an idea as Jar-Jar. Almost.

It's impossible for an EU author to prove that midichlorians have nothing to do with the force. The movies remain absolute canon regardless of what any EU material says.

13. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    If the movies don't mention midi-chlorians again, then EU authors can pretty much come up with something to bridge the gap between midi-chlorians and the descriptions of the Force in the OT, since things were left fairly vague in TPM.

14. poweranger

poweranger Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2002
    in some interview, lucas confirmed that he wasnt trying to come up with another religion, just a concept that would make people realize that there's something bigger than all of us out there; that there are things that science cant explain. bringing in the "midi" only helps him further the distance between the idea that he was trying to create a religion.

the force is a mixture of myth and religion from several cultures in order to make it[the force] universal. thats why so many religions were able to see their belief system reflected in the original trilogy at the same time. keep in mind that while one set of beliefs is a religon to group a, it can easily be seen as a myth by group b.

having the "midi" does not make the force less mysterious but more so. if the force only depended on what was in your blood stream, then the jedi's ability to use the force never should have diminished. just like vader being more machine than man should have made him weaker but instead he was stronger. these aspects of the force cant be explained by science, so all a person could say about vader is that he had "the gift" and that is why he was stronger.

based on lucas' track record so far, its a safe bet that there wont be a father surprise or any more details on the "midi"; just like there were no details on jedi disappearing or the sith order in AOTC even though he claimed there would be. save his interviews. all of em. someone should piece together a link that would act as a lucas interview "file". they seem to be the only place where we get our questions answered anyway.

15. Sith247

Sith247 Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2002
    Midi-chlorians sound like something out of STAR TREK.
    (I'm no big fan of Trekkies)

16. Kast_Morben

Kast_Morben Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Don't you see we created Midichlorians.

US: So, the force, where does it come from?
    GEORGE: It doesn't, the force isn't real. In the movies it's just there, within and around the characters.
    US: Yeah but seriously George, where does the force 'come from'?
    GEORGE: (Sigh) Fine you forced it out of me (Sarc) The Force is created by tiny little craetures called, er, Midichlorians in the cells of Jedi. (Shakes head in disbelief)

17. Mr Bungle

Mr Bungle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    Hey folks...I'm new to the EU boards, so forgive me if this is too much suited for other boards. But just curious- how would you (those of you who wouldn't mind seeing GL revisit midichlorians) like to see them being brought back, i.e. in what capacity? I have a hard time believing that they won't be used in Episode III in some way, be it with cloning, Anakin's origin, what have you....

18. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    I would like it explained thoroughly that Qui-Gon said what he said because all the fruit he ate at dinner was fermented.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.