main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Midichlorians and blood transfusions

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarthIshyZ, May 13, 2015.

1. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    If a Jedi is injured in battle and recieves a blood transfusion, will his midichlorian count fluctuate? I can't believe I'm asking this question since I so don't agree with this midichlorian mess, but logically it would stand. Heck, I could imagine someone saying "Gimme a pint of Yoda!" to increase his force sensitivity. Further, couldn't someone who is NOT force sensitive could get a transfusion of Skywalker blood and suddenly be force sensitive?

mihaitzateo likes this.
  2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    In spite of how the PT reads to some I do not believe in biological elitism. Not to mention Character Shields would prevent such ever happening to the big names. Nor do I consider what you propose feasible. I commend you for broaching it, however.

Lobot_the_Jedi likes this.
  3. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Hm, I'd never thought about it like that before. I really doubt blood transfusions have any effect on midichlorian counts, simply because if that were true, the Jedi could just boost their numbers astronomically by handing out blood to people. :oops:

4. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    If you give the wrong blood to people(Blood types) it could kill them. Also the midiclorians could reject the new host and kill them or injure them, as it described as a microscopic lifeform.

Cloning was an interesting aspect( Clone Palpatine, Starkiller and Jek-14) explorations, would like to see this touched upon on Rebels ect.

5. birdpatrol

birdpatrol Jedi Master

May 7, 2006
    Might be a constant percentage in blood, so even if lose blood, still have some ratio ("over twenty thousand" is a Star Wars description of a ratio). And ratio in blood is measure ability to relate to force. So, if lose blood can still communicate with force.

Can't give blood, since midi's don't work unless will of the force. So, it's just not biological, since the force and force-sensitive must mutually effort to communicate.

6. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    It seems like the films (and Lucas) suggest both sides of this: Lucas (IIRC) said that Anakin was weaker in the Force after getting chopped up... Which might suggest that bodily mass or size or something could be relevant. But if that were true, then as you note, Jedi blood transfusions might be able to imbue anyone with the innate Force-attunement of Yoda. I'm not sure there is any resolution to this, currently.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  7. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    I hope someone adds to the "What would make you walk out..." thread "I would walk out if someone got a blood transfusion and suddenly had force powers." Honestly, I wouldn't know if I should laugh or cry if that happened.

8. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    My immediate assumption would be that if a Jedi lost a lot of blood, consequently losing a lot of his medichlorian count, but survives and heals, eventually the medichlorians would self replicate and replenish those that were missing, like the way stem cells do in today's medicine.

I highly doubt that somebody with no Force sensitivities could have a blood transfusion from somebody with Force sensitivities and then suddenly become Force sensitive. My answer to that would be that only those who are Force sensitive can be hosts to medichlorians, so once medichlorians are removed from that host they can no longer function and perish, even if inside another body.

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What mess? It's pretty simple: every living being has midi-chlorians. The higher the concentration, the easier it is for someone to tap into the Force. But everyone can do it, with enough will and training.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Darths & Droids had this as a plot point - an ordinary person getting a massive transfusion of midi-chlorians.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    The Plagueis novel actually touches on this. Because Midichlorians are merely subjects of the "will" of the force, and not the force itself, their power can not be transferred or replicated. Getting blood from a Jedi will not give you force powers, and cloning a jedi's body will not result in a force-sensitive clone.

The funny thing about midichlorians is that even though, at first glance, they may seem like a pseudo-scientific rationalization of the force, the deeper you go the more you realize that they only serve to make the force more intriguing and mysterious.

12. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014

Yoda was whole, so its not size but rather completion of the body.

13. chagrian_scavenger

chagrian_scavenger Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 17, 2015
    The way I see it, is that Midi-Chlorians are a side effect of the Force.
    If you are strong with the Force, you have a lot of Midi-Chlorians in your blood.
    I don't think Midi-Chlorians cause the Force.

EntechednReformatted likes this.
  14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    They don't. The Force exists and Midichlorians are like Mitochondria which is a biological imperative that is necessary for life to exist. We need Mitochondria DNA as much as the GFFA needs Midichlorians. The only difference is the number of them varies from person to person.

"It was a virgin birth in an ecosystem of symbiotic relationships. It means that between the Force, which is sort of a life force, and reality, the connectors between these two things are what we call Midichlorians. They're kind of based on mitochondria, which are a completely different animal, that live inside every single cell and allow it to live, allow it to reproduce, allow life to exist. They also, in their own way, communicate with the Force itself. The more you have, the more your cells are able to speak intuitively to the Force itself and use the powers of the Force."

--George Lucas, Feburary 2005 issue of Vanity Fair, page 117.

"We also get into this thing of what are Midichlorians, how they work which advances a little bit of the story of the Force, and how does the Force work, how we come to know the Force which is part of Anakin’s training in learning to become a Jedi. And take the idea of the Force one step further. The Midchlorians are kind of a side issue. Not in a sort of spiritual, metaphysical part of the Force, but the more practical, biological, physical part of the Force, or how we come to know the Force, which has to do really with the genetics of why some people have more in tune to the Force than others."

--George Lucas, TPM DVD Commentary.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No. If you have a lot of midi-chlorians, you have the potential to have a strong connection with the Force.

16. chagrian_scavenger

chagrian_scavenger Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 17, 2015
  17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Right, Qui-gon says that life exists because of the Midichlorians and that through them, Force users are aware of the Force.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  18. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
  19. Jabba the Pizza

Jabba the Pizza Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2015
    Pretty sure plageuis created anakin with the help of sidious. They wanted a super-sith. They got it at the end, but it wasnt as super as they wanted.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  20. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    no they didn't.

we have mitochondria in our cells so the blood tranfusion would work the same. it wouldn't change you.

mes520 likes this.
  21. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

Also I wonder if it could be deadly in the GFFA. In real life, if you mix the wrong blood types it will kill you.

22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Two reasons that I think that cloning or tranfusing midichlorians wouldn't work:

1. Why didn't Palpatine ever try to clone Anakin or Luke?

2. Why didn't Palpatine inject himself with midichlorians until he had more midichlorians than the Chosen One?

23. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    1. In the EU, and I'm guessing this is still canon (who knows) Force sensitives cannot be cloned or they go mad.

2. I don't think it works that way. Actually, again this is EU, I think Darth Plagueis maybe have tried to inject himself with the blood of his Force sensitive patients, but it didn't work.

24. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    I think the growth acceleration made the force sensitive clones unstable as well. If there is say an unaccelerated clone that grows naturally, like a Boba Fett was unaltered then perhaps Palpatine did create a child of himself and he could retrain himself through holocrons. Should be around 30 something years old from end of ROTJ to their present timeline. It is strange they stopped clone soldiers - perhaps Kamino is dedicated to a new initiative. The Zillo beast and the Bad Batch could be some clues on what is going or could go on. Maybe Rebels will explore some of what TFU and Dark Empire went into.

25. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Welllll... depends on who's doing the writing. There was a Jedi during the New Jedi Order era that was from a cloned race named Dorsk 81. Every once in a while a clone is force sensitive. Therefore this character. He sacrificed himself for the rest of the Jedi Praxeum, as I recall. The next clone came (Dorsk 82) wasn't Force sensitive.

And, no, that's not canon. The only canon clones are the Clonetroopers as I recall.